Offline Installation?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffkenton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Offline Installation? Reply with quote

I love Gentoo. I have built a couple machines and they rock now. I really liked RH for quite a while, but this way makes a much cleaner system. However, I want to do something a little outside the fold.

I admit it. I want the best of both worlds. I want to take the Gentoo sources home and build a machine offline.

Can this be done, and if so how?

I have a small LAN at home, so if it is necessary for the installing machine to make repeated requests for sources over the net, how should I configure the server in my home LAN and the install configuration on the installing machine to use the proper machine IDs for my network?

I am assuming that there is a way to manually download all of the sources from somewhere and put them on media.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Offline Installation? Reply with quote

jeffkenton wrote:
I admit it. I want the best of both worlds. I want to take the Gentoo sources home and build a machine offline.

The first place emerge looks for packages is in /usr/portage/distfiles (this is configurable, btw, but that's the default location)

So, if you can come up with a list of packages, including dependencies, that you want to install, you can download those either manually, or by using -f on an existing gentoo box, burn those to a CD and copy them into /usr/portage/distfiles in your newly-chrooted environment. (you could also point emerge to your CD instead of copying the files, but that's more of a pain than simply copying the files, IMO)

--kurt
id10t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need/want to do the exact same. Is there anyway of getting a list of files required for base+x+kde/gnome?
rhiinorex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Offline installation? Reply with quote

I'm a new user of Linux. At first I'm thinking of installing Redhat but then I read so much about gentoo linux. So I decided to give it a try, but the problem is I'm still using 56k dial-up connection to internet at home. I really want to know how can I get a complete gentoo sources from internet and put on CDs for me to bring back home to install my gentoo linux (i got high speed LAN access from my office).

At the moment, i don't have a particular list of packages that I want to install, I just typical installation with basic ultilities and X windows (KDE) (of coz with kernal :lol: ). So how should I do that?

--rhiino
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab the installer + stage 3 tarballs (the 120-some MB ISO), and you'll have enough for a bootable system with little to no download hassle. If you have really high speed access, just mirror the entire distfiles directory. :) (Okay, don't, that would be silly. But still.)

Wait... if you have high speed access somewhere, can you just drag your box in and do "emerge --fetchonly kde" and have it grab everything? (You can then "emerge kde" once you get home, so as to be as stealthy as possible at the office.)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id10t wrote:
I need/want to do the exact same. Is there anyway of getting a list of files required for base+x+kde/gnome?

Sure there is...
search out what you want with: emerge search <whatever>
then:
emerge -p <filename>

this would show you what it would install.

Write them down or copy them into a text file. Then, at a later time you can get the files when you have access to a fast connection with the --fetchonly flag.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Offline installation? Reply with quote

rhiinorex wrote:
I'm a new user of Linux. At first I'm thinking of installing Redhat but then I read so much about gentoo linux. So I decided to give it a try, but the problem is I'm still using 56k dial-up connection to internet at home. I really want to know how can I get a complete gentoo sources from internet and put on CDs for me to bring back home to install my gentoo linux (i got high speed LAN access from my office).

At the moment, i don't have a particular list of packages that I want to install, I just typical installation with basic ultilities and X windows (KDE) (of coz with kernal :lol: ). So how should I do that?

--rhiino

Well, you will want to make *some* kind of list.
KDE and X are a great place to start :) Use "emerge search <whatever>" to find what you want, then write them down.

Pretty much, you will need X11, KDE, Mozilla (or not if your gonna use Konqueror), some mail program (KMail perhaps?) and your choice of kernel. The rest is up to you.

just use the --fetchonly flag to drag them down, and install them later.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konqueror, KMail, etc. are installed automagically as part of KDE. Run an emerge -p [target packages and then manually look up each .ebuild file for what URLs it wants to retrieve.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: A SOLUTION Reply with quote

Well, you can edit the /etc/make.conf file, if you override the FETCHCOMMAND:
Code:
FETCHCOMMAND='echo ${URI} >> /sourcelist'
but this way you don't get the mirrors. A solution is
Code:
FETCHCOMMAND='echo ${URI} >> /sourcelist; false'
but this way all mirrors are supplied and you have multiple URL's for the same source package.

Well start the install at home until bootstrap.h (you need internet connection to do emerge rsync, else your using outdated packages or get the tree (/usr/portage/...) at work http://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/rsync/ ). change the /etc/make.conf file (carefully selected all the USE flags you want, cause you need these to download extra dependencies) and check inside the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.h file for all build packages. ( portage / gettext / binutils /baselayout /gcc /glibc /..?) . Now you use emerge -f <package names> and there URLs are put into the file /sourcelist. think you need something like emerge portage gettext binutils baselayout gcc glibc followed by emerge system and at last emerge gentoo-sources nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-libs alsa-oss xfree kde mozilla ..... Maybe some URLs are listed double so use something to remove the double lines cat /sourcelist | sort | uniq.

Just don't forget any file.

Cya lX.
rhiinorex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. :roll:

Yup, I'm using the 120MB ISO to build my gentoo linux. But i think some of the basic packages is not included in it, such as X11, KDE (am I rite?).

I noticed that in distfiles directory, contains a few diff version of the same package (of coz :P ). Is it possible for them to come out some kind of release ISO for all (or some of the most commanly use) packages so that I can burn into a CD (or a few CDs) to take home for installation.

delta407, FYI, I really think of mirror the whole distfiles directory :D , only if it contains only single (latest) version of each package and i think should be able to fit into 1 or 2 CDs. By the way, anyone can tell me what is the total size of this distfiles directory? :)

and I only use windows at my office :), can't do emerge --fetchonly to get the files, but have to list down all the files and download one by one (very tedious, rite?)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!! Reply with quote

rhiinorex wrote:
and I only use windows at my office :), can't do emerge --fetchonly to get the files, but have to list down all the files and download one by one (very tedious, rite?)

No, you don't have to download them one by one. wget is your friend.

--kurt
rhiinorex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks!! Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

No, you don't have to download them one by one. wget is your friend.

--kurt

Kurt, Thanks for the info, it's really helpful for newbie like me ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: