View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[smeagol]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: gnome 2.1.4 Reply with quote

Knowing that there won't be an ebuild for this...Would downloading garnome and using that be recommended?
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already ebuilds for this. A previous post on gnome 2.1.4 was started where a guy released some poorly packaged ebuilds. My friend Matt and I have been working on cleaning them up and comparing notes. We're both running Gnome 2.1.4 right now actually. When Matt finalizes things, he will send them to foser, who will after review post them to the forums. (At least he probably will post something) I have never used Garnome before, but I thought you might enjoy knowing that the ebuilds are indeed in existence, they are simply in testing right now.

Karl

Last edited by karl11 on Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work guys!!! 8)
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatley need a sticky thread for these as soon as they're finalized (by the creators, not the gentoo team, as they seem to be mimicking the debain developers.. =).
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly seem to be more cautious than in the past. Maybe so many people cried about broken stuff even after unmasking something with a clear warning that they decided to back off. That's understandable, but yanking the gnome-2.1.2 ebuilds after many have installed them wasn't very helpful. If I had known they were going to do that I would have backed them up into /usr/local/portage to protect them. You can bet that's where the 2.1.4 ebuilds are going.

Can't wait...
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your ebuilds are saved in /var/tmp/portage, unless you delete it. So you can just go find the old 2.1.2 ebuilds provided you emerged them.

Code:

find /var -iname "*gnome*ebuild"

That should bring you the paths for all the gnome 2.1.2 ebuilds on your system

karl
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl11
Any idea when he can test that 2.1.4 gnome?
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...not currently sure...there are still some issues to be worked out overall also. The gnome-media build is giving a sandbox violation, and the big question is why, seeing as it has worked seemlessly for the past X versions and it seems to actually be in the packages makefile as there is nothing odd in the ebuild. Not all too sure what the state of it all is right now. Hopefully we'll have a better idea in a day or so.

Karl

I don't personally know foser btw :)
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a habit of cleaning out /var/tmp/portage regularly, so it's all gone :o

No big deal. I just have to be careful to not run 'emerge -u world'.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chance to install the 2.1.4 ebuilds on a couple of machines now, and have sent a message to foser about em. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from him so I'll probly go ahead and release em out into the wild. As karl11 said, there are several issues with em, the biggest still being the gnome-media sandbox problem. It's easily gotten around with a quick export, but I don't like to put stuff out there like that. There's also a few issues with the new gstreamer and rhythmbox, and the alsa output support in gstreamer eats up al my cpu. I hope to have these cleaned up just a bit more and on a server within the next couple of days. Just keep in mind that these are development builds and, altho they have worked fine for myself and a few others (above execptions aside), if they break your system you get to keep all the pieces.... 8O

All the dire warnings aside, the gnome team has done a hell of a job getting some major bugs fixed and adding some really cool new features...
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news?
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lin_matt : i have had no emails from you

in general i had 2.1.4 around for a few days, but i was gone and didn't have time to upload them. By now i want to wait for 2.1.5 to make a new release, should be out real soon.
[smeagol]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually, I got bored and modified foser's 2.1.3 ebuilds...If anyone wants them they are here

and yeah, there are gnome-media problems, but I don't use them and i have no idea what's going on with it.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to package and post the ebuilds that had been going around the past few weeks that Lin_Matt had almost finalized today. Most people will want gnome-media. To post the builds, you should also post the fixes needed by them. Please clarify what type of errors you are having. If it's Sandbox violations, then gnome-media can be emerged as follows:

SANDBOX_DISABLED=1 emerge gnome-media

That is still a problem that we have not resolved. I have personally bundled the builds and pasted them below. I personally don't care if you use the one's Smeagol posted or the ones I posted. I personally think that Smeagol deserves some recognition for packaging the builds that he did. If you have good luck with Smeagol's builds, then tell us :)

I basically put the builds we had up since we have used them on a few machines already and they worked fine. We also had the gnome-media workaround figured out...but it did take some time.

Karl

Last edited by karl11 on Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....yet another set of ebuilds for gnome-2.1.4....not sure which ones will work best. Please read the README in these builds if you decide to use them. These are already unmasked, so be fully warned....you might BREAK!! your system.

Click on this link and say save as gnome-2.1.4.tar.gz ... It will try to save as attachment.cgi...well it does here anyway

https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=6608&action=view

Karl

Any problems with this...pm me....though not everyone at once ;)

Edit: The location in this post has been changed...this does point to a different set of ebuilds than it originally did...this one should work now :)[/code]

Last edited by karl11 on Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting from the lappy (gotta have one stable machine :) ) while emerge is running on the desktop.

I started smeagol's ebuilds before bed last night and found it broken when I got up this morning. Sorry to say I don't remember exactly where (this was pre-coffee) but it had to do with the order of dependencies in a couple ebuilds.

That could have been worked around, but I found Karl's this morning and changed horses in mid-stream. This may account for my current woes, not sure. Some problems I have run into so far were attempts by portage to revert libxslt-1.0.23 to 1.0.22 and libxml2-2.4.29 to 2.4.28. Even though I already had those versions installed, the ebuilds have disappeared from the portage tree so I put modified versions into local/portage and that worked. Also, it wanted v0.5.0 of gstreamer and gst-plugins, so I did the same thing for those and had to eliminate a USE=doc patch from gstreamer.

All in all, everything looks pretty good, but I still have a way to go. You'll probably see an update or two.

[Ed.] Okay, the only other hangs I found were acme and nautilus-media. I tinkered around trying to get them to work, but couldn't get it. Since I have no use for them anyway I just deleted them from the rdepends section of gnome-2.1.4.ebuild and all is peachy. Posting from it now.

Last edited by ronmon on Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foser wrote:
lin_matt : i have had no emails from you

in general i had 2.1.4 around for a few days, but i was gone and didn't have time to upload them. By now i want to wait for 2.1.5 to make a new release, should be out real soon.

Hey Foser... I actually sent ya a pm... As a general rule I ignore emails unless I know who they are from, so I tend to assume everyone else does the same... lol
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repackaged...see below :)

Last edited by karl11 on Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...everyone please go get the builds from this location now:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=6608&action=view

I've included one or two that you don't need, but I removed too many builds from the previous set, and all the removed builds are in this package. It should work fine now :)

Karl
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to emerge now ...

ups, the yelp ebuild has a " missing after the depends
dazol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, (besides the missing quote), there was a src_uri wrong for libart_lgpl, digests missing for libart_lgpl and one other one (dont remember which, sorry), and scrollkeeper-0.3.11-gentoo.diff (from /usr/locall/portage anyway. I didnt put this in the actual portage tree) was missing.
This is as far as Ive gotten so far.

Thanks
david
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now the sandbox error with gnome-media
"cannot dreate file ..."

can anybody explan what's going on when such an error occurs?
I mean, I have to be root to run emerge, so why could this happen at al? Root _can_ create the file the sandbox is complaining about.

I'm just curious about the technical background
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and now the sandbox error with gnome-media
"cannot dreate file ..."

can anybody explan what's going on when such an error occurs?
I mean, I have to be root to run emerge, so why could this happen at al? Root _can_ create the file the sandbox is complaining about.

I'm just curious about the technical background

Read the README file for the work around. For the technical background, ebuilds build in a sandbox, as to not hose your system. Portage is only allowed access to the sandbox by default and cannot write outside of the sandbox...which ensures you a safe build, especially if something where to go wrong. However, with gnome-media it appears that in the Makefile it is hardcoded to go outside of the sandbox which gives the sandbox violation. That is why you have to use the workaround described in the README. It's only 1 file, and not terribly important, so since we couldn't figure out a fix we did let this one slide. Remember, these are UNSTABLE developer builds.

Karl

dazol: Using the builds I posted? or the other ones?
dazol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11:
the ebuild you posted just a couple of messages up. I dont know if it matters, but just to clarify, I untarred/gzipped the ebuilds into my PORTDIR_OVERLAY directory, not into portage proper.

David
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: