Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whats your favorite new-user friendly distro?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Adding a poll..
Fedora Core
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Debian
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Red Hat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Whats your favorite new-user friendly distro? Reply with quote

I mean like Red Hat, Debian, Fedora, or Ubuntu.
No offense, I myself LOVE gentoo, but my friend will not be able to
put it on his comp himself. Please tell me which one you
like of the above four, and why. If you want to diss one,
feel free! :)
Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited by Omega21 on Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ba747heavy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Fedora.

Also, I don't know what makes you think Debian is user friendly.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't quite describe Debian as user friendly.

I've heard good things about Ubuntu recently. Mandrake's not bad, but apparently it's a bit of a pain to get your hands on rpm's without paying.
I think you can download iso's for SuSE now, that's not bad either.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora and Ubuntu both get my vote. Ubuntu moreso, though, because I like how it seems to have a "Make everything work really well but don't make things bloated" approach. EDIT: Forgot to add, being Debian-based means the user can install things with apt-get (or the pre-installed Synaptic GTK+ front-end) so no worries about depencies or weird things like that.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Forgot to add, being Debian-based means the user can install things with apt-get (or the pre-installed Synaptic GTK+ front-end) so no worries about depencies or weird things like that.

I think that's kind of a mute point now because apt-get and Synaptic have been ported to the big rpm-based distros. In fact the whole time I used Fedora and most of my time on RH 9 I used apt.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora should not go on an older computer. I've seen it that way and it is not pretty
ba747heavy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
Fedora should not go on an older computer. I've seen it that way and it is not pretty

It gets ugly for sure. One of the downfalls of a pretty GUI installer / unoptimized code for your arch.
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ba747heavy wrote:
porodzila wrote:

It gets ugly for sure. One of the downfalls of a pretty GUI installer / unoptimized code for your arch.

My brother had the same problems...I helped him migrate to Windows and he loves it.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all new newbies, especially windows users, I recommend Suse 9.2
Always seems to set up hardware very well and everything is easily accessable.
A new new user could have a working system without ever touching the command line and can easily make changes. (GUI to all config files)

Last edited by Headrush on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
I helped him migrate to Windows and he loves it.
You're joking right? 8O

Please? :(
SLH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jubenvi wrote:
For all new newbies, especially windows users, I recommend Suse 9.2
Always seems to set up hardware very well and everything is easily accessable.
A new new user could have a working system without ever touching the command line and can easily make chnages. (GUI to all config files)

Ditto.

ALL ABOARD! First stop, Uranus!
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the ones listed, I'd probably have to say Fedora.

I just tried installing Ubunto a few days ago, for the express purpose of discovering whether I could recommend it to newbies (I have no intention of switching from Gentoo personally). A number of things went wrong. It didn't DHCP correctly for some unknown reason (3com card, works fine in Gentoo). When everything was finally fully installed, and I logged into X, the Ubuntu logo appeared and then it hung. Tried it twice more, and it hung without even showing the Ubunto logo!

Also a major strike against Ubuntu: They do not include Qt or KDE apps. Now, if you want to only have Gnome as the choice for the window manager, that's fine, but there are some good end-user apps with only Qt/KDE interfaces. Scribus is probably the best of that bunch, and it truly rocks (I recently did a newsletter with it). So arbitrarily excluding even Qt and KDE-libs from an end-user desktop oriented distribution is simply ridiculous. Sure, they can apt-get it, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Fedora is "pretty good" but a bit too bloated if you ask me, and also does not include all the desktop apps that it should include.

Frankly, the best choice is probably Knoppix. :roll: Maybe Mandrake, but I haven't touched it in ages.

I've also heard some good things about Mepis; I may try that one in the not-too-distant future.

Ark Linux looks promising, sure wish they'd get it past the alpha stage.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at sticking Ubuntu on an older PC just to have a play. I honestly think Gentoo is the best new user distro though. As long as you're willing to read a bit and have some patience, expect a few screw ups it'll get you into the Linux scene.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say one of the muppet instals like linspire or xandros as mandrake and suse seem to have lost track and FC is a big step back from redhat
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubuntu all the wayyy
shift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for SuSE. It's the first distro that I used and setup was dead easy.
Gentoo Matrix
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
gentoo_lan wrote:
I helped him migrate to Windows and he loves it.
You're joking right? 8O

Please? :(

That is honestly to god the first time I have ever heard anyone speak of migrating from linux to windows. I never thought it was possible. Sure there are windows geeks that poke linux with a stick a few times and run away, but actually migrating? I've always thought of it as a one way cycle, once you get into linux, you don't get out :D

I hope at least it was a golden/blue cd with "sharpie" ink on it wink wink ;). Sadly I can't avoid it for a few things, but lets just say I remember the keys in my head thanks to all those reinstalls, a mandatory part of their os.

Sorry if I went offtopic too much.

As far as my 2 cents on the newbie distribution.

I would stay away from RedHat. Thanks to them I almost turned into an anti linux person from all the frustration and giving up multiple times. Good thing I picked up gentoo and didn't give up on it, because I knew all my time learning it would pay off, and it did, and it always will :)

I'm sure there is nothing new when I say this, but rpm hell is just horrible in fedora, and so are a lot of things. I actually find it easier to fix problems in gentoo than fedora because of the support. Gentoo has a centralized support community (forums) where you can find anything. Redhat you will have to dig in google or go on some other linux type forums (not as good as these). And most of the results on google are crap, usually being some horrible text posts on the redhat website.

I haven't used anything other than Gentoo, RedHat (8/9/FCx), and Knoppix so I can't comment on the other ones but I have heard bad things from people running suse also. I would guess Mandrake would be a good recommendation for a new system because I haven't heard as many bad things about it. If you're going to go for an rpm based system at least get one with apt-get support. Try to stay away from YUM as it's a slow pos without any advantages over apt-get.

Last edited by n3odi on Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
I'm looking at sticking Ubuntu on an older PC just to have a play. I honestly think Gentoo is the best new user distro though. As long as you're willing to read a bit and have some patience, expect a few screw ups it'll get you into the Linux scene.

Actally have to agree with this for people willing to take the plunge. Gentoo's my first try at Linux and despite spending about two weeks to get a working desktop the first time I love it. However, I doubt most people are willing to take the plunge like that, they'd just lose patience and probably get tured off from Linux for a while. So I'm not going to go recommending Gentoo to anybody except a select few as their first distribution (like this one friend who seems to find a new way to screw over his Windows every week trying to customize it), and when they install it for the first time I'll try to be around also.

So for all those other people I might be recommending Linux to, I'm going to look into Ubuntu when I get the chance. Mandrake just doesn't seem to be working well....I really need to set aside a week or more sometime for sifting through distros.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
n3odi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuan wrote:
I doubt most people are willing to take the plunge like that, they'd just lose patience and probably get tured off from Linux for a while

After using RedHat for a bit, that plunge is completely gone. Just the setup got me hooked seeing as to how much superior it was over using some tremendously flawed all gui no guts distribution. :) I would have lost more time dealing with constant redhat problems than I would learning to install Gentoo.
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n3odi wrote:
donjuan wrote:
I doubt most people are willing to take the plunge like that, they'd just lose patience and probably get tured off from Linux for a while

After using RedHat for a bit, that plunge is completely gone. Just the setup got me hooked seeing as to how much superior it was over using some tremendously flawed all gui no guts distribution. :) I would have lost more time dealing with constant redhat problems than I would learning to install Gentoo.

Ditto. I've used mandrake and redhat and had more problems getting shit to work post install than I did with a stage1 gentoo install.
Papapishu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu, it's not prefect yet, but it's good enough to be both usable and userfriendly.

It's the only distro that my friend have tried that haven't lead to a lot of whining to me.
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuSe. I use it on my laptop. It just works. For real. Even came with damn web plugins for firefox already installed. Craziest idea I've ever seen in my life. :D

George W. Bush
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Gonzo wrote:
SuSe. I use it on my laptop. It just works. For real. Even came with damn web plugins for firefox already installed. Craziest idea I've ever seen in my life. :D

I have never used SuSE, but I can imagine how bloated it is ;)

My vote goes for Ubuntu...
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice would probably Mandrake. A friend of mine who doesn't know a lot about linux installed it yesterday and lo and behold, it just works, has nice and friendly gui tools to manage your system and has a vast amount of packages available if you copy and paste from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/.

I also like Ubuntu, which has a lot of potential, but I think it still shows that warty is a first release. (Though hoary, the next release will seriously rock I think)

Suse is also a good choice, though I found it easier to set up third party repositories with mandrake (but that could also be just me not knowing my way around Suse) and it's a bit to expensive if you just want to try out linux.

I don't have a lot of experience with Fedora, but from what I saw of it and from what I read I think it is better suited for people who are already familiar with linux.

Finally, gentoo isn't the right choice for someone who doesn't want to gain some in depth knowledge into his system, but simply wants a good out of the box experience, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: