Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Enabling Japanese (or: CJK in KDE & Gnome)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread on how to enable Japanese. Yeah, a single emerge would be nice, but the truth is it requires a few packages, and environment variables (which can be set in a number of ways, depending on the users preference. Not to mention there's some KDE/Gnome differences. It's pretty easy though, all things considered.... although I'm having an issue right now w/ it.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged some posts above

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: hiragana layout? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm configured with cjk, nls and unicode USE flags. I have a Japanese locale in my list of locales. I'm using gnome. I have lots of fonts installed. I can use the character map in the Accessories menu to drag and drop hiragana into my terminal. No problems so far. It would be a lot more convenient if I could just change my keymap though, and type directly.

In the System Preferences menu, I have a Keyboard Preferences item, and when I open this, I have a choice of many different layouts for many different languages. One set of layouts is under the Japanese heading. These are:

Japanese
    Japanese (Kana)
    Japanese (Kana 86)
    Japanese (Mac)
    Japanese (OADG 109A)
    Japanese (PC-98xx Series)

The Kana choices give me katakana. The others just give me a regular english keyboard. None of them give me Hiragana. wtf? I can't think of any reason why there would not be a hiragana layout in this list. What am I missing?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: hiragana layout? Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
The Kana choices give me katakana. The others just give me a regular english keyboard. None of them give me Hiragana. wtf? I can't think of any reason why there would not be a hiragana layout in this list. What am I missing?

An input method?
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: hiragana layout? Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:
Slippery Jim wrote:

An input method?

Umm, I was going to use the "press the key and see the glyph appear" method. I guess this would be called "direct"?

Anyway, my point was kind of that if I can choose Afghani as my layout and get Afghani glyphs out of my keyboard (which I just tried and it works), then I should be able to do the same with Hiragana, right? That is, If I can find a layout...
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: hiragana layout? Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
Umm, I was going to use the "press the key and see the glyph appear" method. I guess this would be called "direct"?

Anyway, my point was kind of that if I can choose Afghani as my layout and get Afghani glyphs out of my keyboard (which I just tried and it works), then I should be able to do the same with Hiragana, right? That is, If I can find a layout...

No, not quite. The Japanese don't write text in either hiragana or katakana exclusively so don't expect much support for it. Unless you have the necessary language input keys, you'll be pretty much stranded even with the “right” layout.

Gentoo has no System Preferences menu. You'll find the mappings in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ and keycodes in /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/. You could use these to create your own map or remap keys to the language input keys.
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I installed uim, which pulls in anthy. Now, I can type <shift>+space, and when I, for example, type "c", I get:

c{hi}[1/1]

How do I make it print a chi glyph?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:

chi<enter>: ち
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:
Slippery Jim wrote:

chi<enter>: ち

I must still be missing a piece. When I hit enter, I just get the word chi, and a newline.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: