netboot server - boot gentoo and server gentoo boot over eth
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: netboot server - boot gentoo and server gentoo boot over eth Reply with quote

i am looking to set up a machine of mine to be a boot server for other gentoo machines on my network, i have a few machines that are windowsXP and down have the drive space for a repartition and install OR they just need to be left alone for fear of windows killing it!, it could happen :).

anyway, does anyone have any experience setting gentoo up as a boot server. i have ZERO experience with this.

All the machines that i want to netboot do have bootable ethernet cards. all of them do have hardware that is compatible with linux.

-

what im looking at doing is setting up each machine so that the people at my house can still use windows but i can slowly convert them over to the dark side(or is it the light side?) and utilizing exsisting storage space and speed on a computer that has dual athlonmp 2200+ and 7 9.1GB 10000RPM SCSIs.

id also like to play around with mosix a bit and this seems a good way to do that.
SpamMonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you basically need to setup a dhcp and a tftp server. You'll need to either create and/or download a gentoo boot image as well.

Have a read of this link;

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

I've looked into this out of my own curiosity and from the above link you can boot pretty much whatever image you want. What I think you would be able to do is basically allow them to download your kernel image and then have that point at your server for all it's initial files..

Let us know how you get on..

--
l8rs
Gavin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: