moving LILO from old install to new?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazzmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: moving LILO from old install to new? Reply with quote

I have my 40 GB drive on linux partitioned into:

25GB - main partition....Mandrake 8.2..../dev/hda1
10GB - test partition....Gentoo 1.4..../dev/hda4
256M - swap.../dev/hda5

I have LILO installed in the MBR and /boot is on the mandrake partition. The gentoo kernel actually lived on the mandrake partition under /boot. When I complile a new kernel under gentoo, I have to mount the mandrake filesystem and copy the kernel into /boot on there. I have a few hundred MB spare (/dev/hda3) that I may use for a dedicated /boot.

Can I move LILO from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hda4 and still have it boot? I want to get rid of mandrake and have my system just boot to gentoo. Shouldn't I be able to move /boot (either to the gentoo partition or to a dedicated /boot fs), move /etc/lilo.conf to the gentoo partition, edit it with correct values, run lilo -v on the gentoo partition and then boot into gentoo now?

Darren
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: moving LILO from old install to new? Reply with quote

Dazzmann wrote:
Can I move LILO from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hda4 and still have it boot?

Remember, LILO is living on the bootsector. You mean the lilo config information?

Dazzmann wrote:
Shouldn't I be able to move /boot (either to the gentoo partition or to a dedicated /boot fs), move /etc/lilo.conf to the gentoo partition, edit it with correct values, run lilo -v on the gentoo partition and then boot into gentoo now?

Yes, I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

-- Curious
Dazzmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I mean the config information. Should I be able to move /boot to it's own fs (should this be a ext2 fs or can I use ext3 for /boot?), move lilo.conf from the mandrake to the gentoo partitions, edit lilo.conf and insert the proper values, run lilo -v and then lilo will now boot from the new setup?

Darren
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazzmann wrote:
Should I be able to move /boot to it's own fs
Yes, although I would copy things instead of moving them first, so that you have a fallback position.
Quote:
(should this be a ext2 fs or can I use ext3 for /boot?)
Either way, but I don't personally see the benefits of journalling on /boot, because it gets so little traffic.
Quote:
move lilo.conf from the mandrake to the gentoo partitions, edit lilo.conf and insert the proper values, run lilo -v and then lilo will now boot from the new setup?
Again, I would copy lilo.conf instead of moving it (and have a secondary boot device (cdrom or floppy) in case something goes wrong), and you would have to run lilo from inside the Gentoo filesystem, so it picks up the right lilo.conf file.
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used lilo, but if it's anything like grub, it would be a lot easier and a much more sure thing to just run lilo and install it to the partition you want. Then move the old lilo.conf to replace the new lilo.conf.

Actually, I recommend dropping lilo and using grub. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: