Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
pilx wrote:
The first one is included in the worstation version (the server version uses a different set of cfq defaults), and the second patch is included in the AC14 patch.

Great! Thanks!
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: New Version Reply with quote

I added in Software Suspend 2 as per request. That is the only update, so if you do not need swsup2, then there is no need to update. ;)

Enjoy.
Satyrinox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh cool , ill have to update my server then , i havent been able to figure it out , i mean it works perfectly with my main box.
I played enemy territory , blackshades-cvs , doom3, quake3 ,and Icewind dale and 2 under wine
so far it has passed all my tests , so ill try that update tomorrow morning and will get back to you if anything changes , once again thank you , this Kernel ROCKS!!!!!
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200
Leadtek Mobo]
<same config for 2 years now ;-) >
Macumba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice patchset.
I use the worksation version without reiserfs4.

glxgears have 842.800 FPS - with music, and without 870.400 FPS.... :wink:
gungholady
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the patches for win4lin from netraverse. I'm using the workstation version. I had to hand edit a couple of the files for the win4lin. Everything is working great. Thanks for putting all these patches together.
pilx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gungholady wrote:
I added the patches for win4lin from netraverse. I'm using the workstation version. I had to hand edit a couple of the files for the win4lin. Everything is working great. Thanks for putting all these patches together.

Can you post the steps you made to accomplish this?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satyrinox wrote:
oh cool , ill have to update my server then , i havent been able to figure it out , i mean it works perfectly with my main box.
I played enemy territory , blackshades-cvs , doom3, quake3 ,and Icewind dale and 2 under wine
so far it has passed all my tests , so ill try that update tomorrow morning and will get back to you if anything changes , once again thank you , this Kernel ROCKS!!!!!
If the new version does not work then I will email CK to find out how to add support for the Server version. You can take a look at the base-workstation and the base-server archives, and there really is nothing different in the workstation version that would add nVidia support since I moved the nVidia-compat file to base, so both workstation and server use it. Keep me posted on the results. Thanks!

Macumba wrote:
nice patchset.
Thanks!

gungholady wrote:
I new I was forgetting some patches. The Win4Lin patches are stable and do not modify the files too much, so I do not think that I would need to have a use flag for them. Also, the last time I tried VMWare, it needed a kernel module, so I think I will add that in since it would benefit both workstation and server environments. And, you are welcome.

Thanks for all your feedback. Any other patches that need to be added?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timesliced CFQv2 IO scheduler is a new must have toy:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.0/0770.html
Gaspode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be very nice to have the ACPI-DSDT patches, to include a custom DSDT in the kernel.

There is a patch around that allows putting the DSDT into the initrd, and one that integrates it in the kernel at compile time. I would prefer the latter (because otherwise it is sort of a pain in the a... to have an initrd that contains modules as well):

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/HowToOverrideTable

However, I believe one can even have both ways, at least I've seen that in other kernels before.

Thanks!
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a look at both patches right now. CFQ2 seems really nice. I will include it and let people decide which they want. I have no problem with the ACPI patches. I will see about including these in the next release.

So far I have:
1) Virtual Machine stuff, such as Win4Lin, and any other VM related patch.
2) CFQ2, possibly under use flag control.
3) ACPI Patches. I'll include both listed if I can.

Now I wish that there was a triple state use flag, where flag at state 0 is like -some_flag, stage 1 would be a certain package, stage 2 would be a different one, ..... and so on. Oh well.
gungholady
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilx wrote:
gungholady wrote:

Can you post the steps you made to accomplish this?

I applied the patches, then using the reject files it told me about I added the correct information. The affected files were include/linux/init_task.h and include/linux/sysctl.h.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
The timesliced CFQv2 IO scheduler is a new must have toy:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.0/0770.html
I have been working on getting this to work, but the patch is for 2.6.10 which has a lot of changes to CFQ and ll_rw_blk.c, so it doesn't apply. I tried to cheat a little by applying the patch against 2.6.10 and then diffing those two files against 2.6.9. The new patches apply nicely, but ll_rw_blk.cc fails to compile, so there must be other files it relies on that have changes. I would take a long time to track down, so I will wait until the end of the month when 2.6.10 comes out as final. Unless you know which files I need to use to get everything to compile nicely.

@gungholady and pilx: I added in the Win4Lin patches. I didn't use a use flag, but I will change that if anyone needs those patches left out for some reason. I had to create two copies, so that it applies with or without Reiser4.

I am also working on loads of new patches including an updated ACPI and I want to add the updated ALSA, but there is some weirdness going in with that. Also, SwSup2 seems to cause some scsi components to fail in compiling. Has anyone else had this problem? It may have been some of the new patches I added. I already had to take out some because they cause the system to fail at various times. I've been compiling the kernel all day trying to squash out some of the bugs. The new ACPI is nice though. I am thinking about releasing the updated patchset, but I still have some untested new stuff in there, but they are under use flag control, so it wouldn't be that bad, but other stuff is not.

I also signed up for a space on SourceForge.net, so I won't need to host the sources on my computer anymore. :D
pilx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
@gungholady and pilx: I added in the Win4Lin patches. I didn't use a use flag, but I will change that if anyone needs those patches left out for some reason. I had to create two copies, so that it applies with or without Reiser4.

Excelent! I'll be waiting for the new release...

StifflerStealth wrote:
I also signed up for a space on SourceForge.net, so I won't need to host the sources on my computer anymore. :D

Great news.

I still can't figure why hdparm -t /dev/md1 is giving me 20% less MB/s on 2.6.9-(nitro4|shadow-workstation-r1) compared with my previous 2.6.8.1-love1... has anyone heard/seen/know about this? (I can post both .config files if that's useful for finding an answer).
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilx wrote:
I still can't figure why hdparm -t /dev/md1 is giving me 20% less MB/s on 2.6.9-(nitro4|shadow-workstation-r1) compared with my previous 2.6.8.1-love1... has anyone heard/seen/know about this? (I can post both .config files if that's useful for finding an answer).
No clue, but they did change a lot in 2.6.9, so it might be something with that, or an issue with a patch that Nitro and I both use. Love uses the -mm patchset right? I forget. I need to look at it again. Anyways, I am looking through the -mm patchset to include some patches and there are a few patches that deal with Hard Disk access speed-ups. I tried a few and it caused some weirdness that I talked about in a previous post, so I backed them out. If I can get them to apply without causing weirdness, like the shutdown lockup bug, then I may include them in a future release.

Speaking of releases, either late tonight or early tomorrow, I am going to have a new release. There are so many internal and external changes that I need to skip a number. Well, I do have -r3 but it is not suitable for release, so I am fixing that up and releasing it as -r4. I hope you all enjoy the cool new stuff that I am doing to it. I hope that the SourceForge is approved before I release it, so then you all can get it from the fast SF.net mirrors. :D

Cheers,
Stiff
Macumba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadow-sources
:wink:
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macumba wrote:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadow-sources
:wink:
Yep, you found it. :D

Update:
There is a lot updated with this release.
- I started to work on trying to get the files to slot, so you can emerge several variations the patchset. I have 4 use flags, so it is technically 16 different patchsets all rolled up into one. I changed the Extraversion info to reflect this. Now each use flag combination has it's onw extraversion. I think you will be able to figure it out. ;) The sources are also installed to the different directory, but a previous install still gets unmerged. I will need to work on that further.

-Updated -ac patches from 14 to 15.
-Updated Reiser4 patches from release 2 to release 3
-Updated to the latest stable apci, which breaks the built in DSDT replacement that was requested.
- I will have Timed Sliced CFQ when 2.6.10 is final. I can't get it to work with 2.6.9, but you can see it in the ebuild.

-Added in kexec. It allows you to change kernels without rebooting, which is how I test all these kernel variations. Use the ebuild from: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50313 to install the kexec tools to be able to use the features. I will add the ebuild in as a dependency if kexec use flag is used. I was going to do that but I forgot to add that in. :oops: That will be in the update.
-Added Win4Lin. It is not under use flag control, but if anyone objests to it being part of the base, then I will move it to extra under use flag control. I don't use it, so it is tempting, but the patches do not modify anything that important, so I figured it could work being in. Servers use Win4Lin as well.
-Added in some -mm fixes.
-Added the 0000_SERIES file which shows what patches are used for what use flags, which should help you out if you do not use Gentoo.

-Lots of other fixes

See, the Readme or the Series docs for more info.

Enjoy, and please post any bugs so I can fix them as quickly as possible. I will get some of the patches that people requested in the next release. I need to rewrite some of the patches. ;)

The Download link in the first post has been updated and works. :D

Thanks,
-Stiff
Macumba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm
yeah.... i found something.... :cry:
make menuconfig:
Code:

scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/x86_64/Kconfig
#
# using defaults found in arch/x86_64/defconfig
#
arch/x86_64/defconfig:225: trying to assign nonexistent symbol BLK_DEV_ADMA

make
Code:

CC      drivers/perfctr/init.o
  CC      drivers/perfctr/x86_tests.o
  CC      drivers/perfctr/virtual.o
drivers/perfctr/virtual.c: In function `vperfctr_mmap':
drivers/perfctr/virtual.c:723: warning: implicit declaration of function `remap_pfn_range'
  LD      drivers/perfctr/perfctr.o
  LD      drivers/perfctr/built-in.o
[...]
  CC      drivers/serial/serial_core.o
  CC      drivers/serial/8250.o
  CC      drivers/serial/8250_pci.o
  CC      drivers/serial/8250_pnp.o
drivers/serial/8250_pnp.c: In function `serial_pnp_probe':
drivers/serial/8250_pnp.c:421: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
drivers/serial/8250_pnp.c: In function `serial_pnp_remove':
drivers/serial/8250_pnp.c:428: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
  LD      drivers/serial/built-in.o
[...]
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/io.o
  LD      arch/x86_64/lib/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/bitops.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/bitstr.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/clear_page.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/copy_page.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/csum-copy.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/csum-partial.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/csum-wrappers.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/delay.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/getuser.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/memcpy.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/memmove.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/memset.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/putuser.o
  AS      arch/x86_64/lib/thunk.o
  CC      arch/x86_64/lib/usercopy.o
  AR      arch/x86_64/lib/lib.a
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x1189e1): In function `vperfctr_mmap':
: undefined reference to `remap_pfn_range'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

I used kexec noreiser4 useflags
I removed all .config-files and tryed it again, but the errors stayed
I search in the forum, but didn't find s.th.
Now i will remove the kernel and try other use-flags

Now i only used noreiser4 and only started with the automatical config-file
i got these warnings:
Code:

CC      drivers/scsi/libata-core.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/libata-scsi.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/hosts.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_ioctl.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/constants.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsicam.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_error.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_syms.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_sysfs.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_devinfo.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/scsi_sysctl.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/sd.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
  SHIPPED drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_seq.h
  SHIPPED drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_reg.h
  CC      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_core.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_pci.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_osm.o
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_osm.c:419: warning: 'aic79xx' defined but not used
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_osm.c:425: warning: 'dummy_buffer' defined but not used
  CC      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_proc.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx_osm_pci.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/built-in.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/built-in.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/3w-xxxx.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/libata.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/ata_piix.o
  CC      drivers/scsi/sata_via.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/sd_mod.o
  LD      drivers/scsi/built-in.o

but i works - and now my config...

now it compiled cleanly.
I think, the error is in the kexec-patch...

Code:
Linux 2.6.9-shadow-0000-r4, Compiled #9 Sun Dec 12 18:04:54 CET 2004

YEAH!
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a bit to find out what was going on there. I did a Homer Simpson D'oh when I found out. I have several directories, for this patchset, one of them is where all the new patches I want go to be tried out. To make a long story short, I used the -mm patchset for kexec, and I transferred over a patch that I should not have. I already counted that patch out, but I forgot to delete it so it was transferred to the release directory. :oops: I fixed that and uploaded a new ebuild/digest and a new kexec archive sans the bad patch ;). You do not need to DL that. Just use this Patch to reverse the bad patch. Well, you need to reinstall the sources using kexec use flag, though, but since all the files are on your computer you do not need to re DL anything. :D Sorry about that mix up. I already decided to upload all patches to the SF CVS starting with 2.6.10, and I hope to have that utility done by then that will manually apply all patches by telling it what "flags" you want to use. Kinda like a mini emerge. This will help people that do not have Gentoo, and it will help me in test the patches. ;)

I will wait a bit to see if there are any more issues before I install gcc 3.4.3 and do a emerge -e world. I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

Later,
-Stiff
Macumba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This will help people that do not have Gentoo

8O people withput gentoo?!!! :lol: :wink:

I will try the kexec-Patch tomorrow, thanks!
gcc 3.4.3 works good @ my amd64.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macumba wrote:
Quote:
This will help people that do not have Gentoo

8O people withput gentoo?!!! :lol: :wink:
Yeah, I have a lot of patches (well over 100), so that is why I need this utility. That is also the reason why people release their patchsets as one big patch. I like the broken out design because one can easily exclude any patch by just adding a line in the ebuild, or add a patch.

Macumba wrote:
I will try the kexec-Patch tomorrow, thanks!
gcc 3.4.3 works good @ my amd64.
It should work unless I broke something else on the AMD 64 side of things. Thanks for testing.

Yeah, I am hearing a lot of success stories with gcc 3.4.3, so I figured it was about time I gave it a try. They say it is faster than gcc 3.3.x. I was reluctant to update since some things like OpenOffice did not work with it, but there is a patch for that now, so I can safely update now. :D

Thanks to all that are trying out this patchset!
-Stiff
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is some sort of problem with swsusp2. Can't remember as I was compiling it on my laptop and got the error (but the laptop is going away for a fixup ... long story, funky keyboard) so I can't easily get that error again (I don't do swsusp2 on my desktop..). There was one problem that I remember though, something in kernel/kthread.c that needed two arguments instead of one... and I added a 0 as a second argument - just about every other use of the function in other files is the same - and it seems to work fine.
Gaspode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:
Looks like there is some sort of problem with swsusp2. Can't remember as I was compiling it on my laptop and got the error (but the laptop is going away for a fixup ... long story, funky keyboard) so I can't easily get that error again (I don't do swsusp2 on my desktop..). There was one problem that I remember though, something in kernel/kthread.c that needed two arguments instead of one... and I added a 0 as a second argument - just about every other use of the function in other files is the same - and it seems to work fine.

I can confirm the problem. It is in line 203 of kernel/kthread.c. Adding the 0 as second argument seems to help.

However, swsusp2 still does not compile:

CC kernel/power/pm.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/power/suspend_builtin.o', needed by `kernel/power/built-in.o'. Stop.

Don't know what to do about that...

By the way, DSDT-initrd is gone, as you said, but apparently support for compiled-in DSDT override is still there. If it wasn't patched in by you, it might come from upstream? Either way, I'm happy with that ;) But yeah, without working swsusp2 I still can't use your kernel, unfortunately.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaspode wrote:
By the way, DSDT-initrd is gone, as you said, but apparently support for compiled-in DSDT override is still there. If it wasn't patched in by you, it might come from upstream? Either way, I'm happy with that ;) But yeah, without working swsusp2 I still can't use your kernel, unfortunately.
I think it was patched upsteam with the latest ACPI patch that I used. I do not know if I like the DSDT in the initrd patch. I am thinking of adding that, but definately under use flag control if I do.

I will look at swsup2 tomorrow. I might have missed a vital patch. That is very plausible because of the same reason as with kexec. I am trying to figure out why my HD was acting up, atm. It does strange things. Luckily I have everything backuped up accross multiple Hard Drives. :D Anyways, as soon as I get my HD situation taken care of, I will investigate the swsup2 stuff. So far everything else seems to work fine. :D

-Stiff
ryszardzonk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: compile problem Reply with quote

Hi, I use previous release 2.6.9-workstatiorn-r2 with no problem. With the new one however I get this compile problem :cry:

Code:
computer linux # make
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
make[1]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      kernel/kthread.o
kernel/kthread.c:203:53: macro "create_singlethread_workqueue" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given
kernel/kthread.c: In function `helper_init':
kernel/kthread.c:203: error: `create_singlethread_workqueue' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/kthread.c:203: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/kthread.c:203: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [kernel/kthread.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2
computer linux #

I use flags "noreiser4" and "swup2"

Is the patch You created for other reported problem going to fix it too?

Thanks for great patchset 8)
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a patch to fix the compile error of swsup using the workstation version of CK. You can Download the patch here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1084778&group_id=126070&atid=704569

Gaspode wrote:
CC kernel/power/pm.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/power/suspend_builtin.o', needed by `kernel/power/built-in.o'. Stop.
I cannot reproduce that one. I think it might be an issue with swsup itself. I noticed some "quirks" with it and scsi options. So, to try to fix this, I am fixing up the newest beta to patch in cleanly. I know it is a beta, but there are loads of bug fixes in it, and I hope there are no new noticable bugs. I will have that up as soon as KDE 3.3.2 is done compiling. I did all this patching and diffing on my *gasp* MS Windows *gasp* notebook. The patch should work, and I tested it via the command line. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: