sendmail, virtusertable, usernames with @ sign
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: sendmail, virtusertable, usernames with @ sign Reply with quote

I'm migrating a red hat box to gentoo... I'm currently trying to copy my sendmail config but I'm having a little problem.

On the red hat box I managed several domains, and named my user account with their full email address so it was easy to keep track of. I managed to create some users with @ signs in their names, (thanks) but now I'm having 'fun' with my mappings in virtusertable.

On the red hat box I had:
Code:
#virtusertable:
foo@mydomain.com     foo\@mydomain.com
bar@mydomain.com     bar\@mydomain.com
and the messages got delivered to the correct local accounts (called foo@mydomain.com and bar@mydomain.com)

Yes, I know this is a sub-optimal solution but these users weren't going to log in or send local mail anyway. The accounts are just there for POP, and SMTP AUTH.

Anyway, on the gentoo box, if I have:
Code:
#virtusertable:
localuser@mydomain.com     localuser
foobar@mydomain.com        foobar\@mydomain.com
@mydomain.com              error:nouser There is no user here by that name
mail for localuser@domain.com gets accepted and ends up in the right place. Mail sent to foobar@mydomain.com bounces with: "(reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)".

Interestingly, mail to asdf@mydomain.com bounces with: "(reason: 553 5.3.0 <asdf@mydomain.com>... There is no user here by that name.)" - so it's obviously doing something different in this case.

Am I going to be able to get There from Here?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: