bash# I can't find my $HOME$ directory! Wah!! [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: bash# I can't find my $HOME$ directory! Wah!! [solved] Reply with quote

this is the output i received while trying to regain access to my /etc directory, while using INIT runlevel single user mode. Apparently I have an issue that is quite similar to the baselayout and emerge causing /etc/group to be overwritten. I too emerged baselayout and have always manually merged files following etc-update. The twist in this whole mess is when i get the usual
Quote:
portage: 'portage' user or group missing. Please update baselayout
and merge portage user(250) and group(250) into your passwd
and group files. Non-root compilation is disabled until then.
Also note that non-root/wheel users will need to be added to
the portage group to do portage commands.

For the defaults, line 1 goes into passwd, and 2 into group.
portage:x:250:250:portage:/var/tmp/portage:/bin/false
portage::250:portage
output , i also have a line which states PORTAGE_TMPDIR is either missing or contains an improper variable. I have tried to addusers to the wheel group with no success. I have tried to change permissions and i have been unsuccessful from both the livecd and the from singleuser mode. The /etc directory has been overwritten and naturally everything relative to /etc as well. I have resorted to sending a pm to a favored Veteran with this issue here and followed the suggestion he left for me. nothing has worked. Can someone leave a suggestion,link, theory,sarcastic remark which contains an iota of info?

Last edited by shade266 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf!!?? lack of reading and research definitely is not my reason for requesting a bit of assistance here. Is it possible my lack of the complete "power user" status or whatever is applicable to being taken seriously the issue?

Whatever the cause may be; I have worked with a corporation who has utilized gentoo as the foundation for both development and production of the software created for clients. I know the integrity of this distro as being fully capable to withstand the rigor of a corporate dev environment.

With all that status quo crap having been spouted... any suggestions?
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chatted with a user on IRC finally after 10 days or so of trying to figure this situation out. Looks as though I may have to get a stage 1 tar ball and mv /etc to /mnt/gentoo/etc and configure everything relative therein to get this screwup of mine rectified.

I will update the thread accordingly if I fail or succeed.
shade266
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well finally!!! I have fully restored my entire /etc directory and manage to setup gentoo on a second HD as well. Thanks to those who assisted... I extracted the stage1 tarball from the livecd to /mnt/gentoo/temp/etc.

mv /etc /mnt/gentoo/etc.

and began the journey of manually editing /etc config files to what my originals were. finally, I added my user to the proper groups and rebooted to see my flux happily awaiting me.

Now to deal with xorg-6.8 and ati drivers on my second HD...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: