1.1a Install Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannibalSmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: 1.1a Install Problem Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten Gentoo 1.1a installed? Everytime I try to chroot over and run 'env-update' it tells me it can't find /etc/make.profile. Then when I run 'source /etc/profile' I DON'T get a new prompt and 'emerge rsync' fails saying 'temporarily unable to resolve hostname' or something like that. I have no problems installing with my 1.0-rc6 CD (which is reinstalling right now). I have been trying to do a clean install of 1.1a, but haven't had any luck. Any thoughts on this?
nutopianate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: new prompt in chroot Reply with quote

in 1.0 (not a) I also noticed that after sourcing /etc/profile i didn't get a new prompt... but otherwise it worked great

as far as the unable to resolve hostname, you did remember to make /etc/resolv.conf, right? Does any network work for you (such as pinging the numeric address of your router?) If so can you ping the nameserver you put in resolv.conf?
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: If I remember correctly... Reply with quote

If I remember correctly when I messed with 1.0 the /etc/profile didn't work either. The problem was that the $SHELL was set to /bin/sh not /bin/bash so the if statement in /etc/profile returned false and didn't update your prompt. The quick fix was to export SHELL=/bin/bash. Didn't spend enough time to find the real solution, maybe an invalid entry in the extracted /etc/passwd?

As for your problem with hostnames, check that /etc/resolv.conf file in the chroot, maybe a typo?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
HannibalSmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! For some reason when I copied my resolv.conf over to /mnt/gentoo/etc it didn't show up after I chroot'ed (possibly I was rushing through the steps and screwed it up). Creating this file (again) and running an 'emerge sync' before re-running 'env-update' fixed that problem and nitro's 'export SHELL=/bin/bash' fixed the prompt issue.

Hopefully this helps somebody else who's having the same problem. Thanks again for you help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: