It's time for gentoo...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STiAT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: It's time for gentoo... Reply with quote

to get a working install-system and a ports-system with working ports!!

I already had gentoo running, i was really happy with that thing (Running on a PII 350). Now, i got a new comuter. I have to reinstall my gentoo, compiling it optimized to a i686 system. Now, i even can't bootstrap. getting error

Couldn't find match for >=baselayout-1.7.3.

Okay, i was able to solve that problem by changing resync from

rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
to
rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-x86-portage

i think the x86 is an older one.

Now, good. after this bootstrap does. Now, emerge system does also work well. Then i try to emerge KDE. When compiling KDE i get errors with QT and other things. He simply aborts, i can't remember the error.

good, i thought - maybe it's portage system. So i tried to update portage. Also an error there... think the same like while bootstrapping.

Now, i think gentoo is a great system, but are this ports ever checked before they are given out? I DON'T THINK SO!

What's about getting the MAIN INSTALL PACKAGES to work until you try to get the database of ports larger?

I think gentoo is revolutional to linux with that BSD-Style Portage system - if it works...

STiAT
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: It's time for gentoo... Reply with quote

What was the purpose of your message?

You don't post the error messages you're seeing, so there's no way any of us can help you and there doesn't seem to be any purpose to your message other than to complain about a problem you're having.

I understand your frustrated, but venting on the forums without any other clear purpose to your post is not appropriate.

Moving this to Gentoo suggestions since that's the forum it comes closest to fitting in. (we don't have a "gentoo flames" forum...)

--kurt
STiAT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saied i get errors while bootstrapping with

Couldn't find match for >=baselayout-1.7.3.

QT was the same error, but with QT 3.0.4-r1.ebuild or like that.

I now set up my computer to windows that i am able to post here. i havn't used windows for around 3 years now!! THAT it means!

While updating portage the same error like while boostrapping.

so i WROTE the errors while building something. i wrothe that i get the error with baselayout. I can't do anything against that you are not reading my message destinctly.

I simply want to have a working system. Only the base install, that can't be to much. In the version 1.1 it worked too!

STiAT
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STiAT wrote:
so i WROTE the errors while building something. i wrothe that i get the error with baselayout. I can't do anything against that you are not reading my message destinctly.

and

STiAT wrote:
When compiling KDE i get errors with QT and other things. He simply aborts, i can't remember the error.

hrmm....

STiAT wrote:
I simply want to have a working system. Only the base install, that can't be to much. In the version 1.1 it worked too!

First of all, take a deep breath. Second of all, don't post paraphrased versions of your error messages. Post the exact error message. Error messages are critical to resolving a problem.

Now, have you rsynced your portage tree? Did that complete without any errors?

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: