Quick Search: in
X is slow
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmachado

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: X is slow Reply with quote

I have a Abit BP6 (dual) with 1 Celeron 533 installed, Prolink Gerforce 2 MX 400 64 MB with Tv-Out, 384 MB RAM, 40 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM, Kenwood 52X TrueX CD-ROM, LG 8160B CDRW, LG Flatron 795FT Plus.

I installed the system ok, no prob at all. Compiled kernel with SMP support, even if using 1 proc only (will use the second soon).

I then emerge -rsync and emerge kde. I left it doing it's magic at night (i went to sleep). It appears that all went ok. I ran xf86config, adjusted /etc/X11/XF86Config accordingly. When I ran startx it was slow as a sick molass. I mean SLOW. Mouse does not respond in a timely manner (i mean it moves in "steps" at a rate of 1 step every 20 seconds or more). I tried emerge nvidia and it also compiled well. Made the adjustements. Still slow. tried opengl-update nvidia. Still slow.

I installed using the bigger ISO and used all three stages as binary. I really don't know where is the problem. Any help?

I use Linux for a long time, even used 1.2.13 (or maybe older, can't remember) kernels, lots of distros (slack, debian, redhat, conectiva, mandrake, suse). I've never seen X do this. I even compiled it sometime ago and it was just ok.

Thanks for any help.

Flavio Machado
fuzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with kde or gnome in other distro's, then I tryed blackbox which is alot smaller and faster, since then I have never switched back.

sorry I couldn't help with you problem but seaching wm help me.
fmachado

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Not KDE problem Reply with quote

It's not a KDE or Gnome Problem. I haven't select either as the WM. It's the default WM (the ugly one mentioned in the desktop install docs, can't remember the name now).

But I really think the problem lies at X. My theory is that it has a SMP problem (or SMP optimization that spreads processes by the processors). I'll try to remove SMP from the kernel and try again, maybe start all over again in a more controled way.

Thanks anyway for the help.
recluse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run top to see if there's a specific app eating all the resources of your system?
fmachado

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluse,

To be more precise it gets so slow I always had to press the reset button, even CTRL-ALT-BKSP doesn't work (well at least not in 2 minutes after pressing it). Can't change to console (CTRL-ALT-Fx). Summing up, it does not works well. Can't run top because of it.

I'm teaching a class of Delphi 6 (yes I'm a Borland Certified Instructor) at night, so I have no time during work week to do it. Weekend I'll "fight" it back so I'll post the answers.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

Flavio
Brasil (we write it with s not z)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: