View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Error 18 Reply with quote

Per gnu.org grub documentation--- (Thanks to gnu, fsf, Mr. Torvalds for everything)

Code:
18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
    This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

This is why you need a grub floppy it can not map your hard drive by a setting up from the operating system, setting up grub from floppy should solve that error.

Just out of curiosity did winxp not complain about needing the first partition? (I know 30 Mb is not enough for winxp) but mine insisted that I format that partition. I am just trying to find out why some versions insist on the first and some do not?

Oh and the cool thing about the floppy , you can feed everything grub needs to it and if it doesnt like it , it brings the grub console back up so you can try again.

There could be some issues if you let win partition initially and tried to change partitions from linux, this seems to be unacceptable to firm raid, if you changed your mind basically you have to go in to the sata bios and rebuild the raid the repartition from win and then live with it. (At least on my Asus of course I can not confirm that for other boards)

Oh if you did let XP format your first partition look at and see if there is a file called boot.ini on that partition.

One more question is this a 64 bit system?

Ok one more thing from
Quote:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Creating%20a%20GRUB%20boot%20floppy

Code:
Creating a GRUB boot floppy

To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files stage1 and stage2 from the image directory, and write them to the first and the second block of the floppy disk, respectively.

Caution: This procedure will destroy any data currently stored o
n the floppy.

On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following commands:

# cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc      ****************** for you this is probably   cd /boot/grub   *******************
     # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
     1+0 records in
     1+0 records out
     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
     153+1 records in
     153+1 records out
     #

The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your OS.

Stage 1 and Stage 2 shoud be in /boot/grub
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen2dmraid has grub 0.96 as bootloader, no need to create floppies.

flipy wrote:
is there any livecd for amd64 with dmraid? the official doesn't seem to work... while the x86 do work, and gen2dmraid also... so would it be a amd64 version of gen2dmraid?

Try the 2005.0 liveCD, it has genkernel 3.1.5 which includes dmraid.

After boot type:
Code:
 dmsetup mknodes

To activate dmraid created things. To use dmraid manually on the LiveCD, you need to extract it from the initrd image.

kwiqsilver wrote:

Do I need a grub floppy if my machine "boots" to a grub prompt?

No, grub seems to work.

People, please don't confuse Linux things, like device-mapper names and bootloaders.

To jcdekoning: Have you enabled the right modules in the kernel for your controller, what do you use (lsmod) when booting the LiveCD?
jcdekoning
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx irondog for your suggestion. I recompiled the kernel with some SATA modules included in it and now dmraid is working at startup...

except there is another problem coming

Code:
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/isw_deibjbiiec_RAID_Volume15
/dev/mapper/isw_deibjbiiec_RAID_Volume15:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alterate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

* Filesystem couldn't be fixed :( [!!]

Give root password for maintance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Has this something to do with the fact that the names are changed of the devices when booting my kernel? Hopefully someone can help me. /dev/mapper does only contains control.
jcdekoning
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the problem by using the dmsetup mknodes in the checkroot file. Now the system is booting. Thanx

Anyone ones if this can also be reached with Fedora?
flipy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
flipy wrote:
is there any livecd for amd64 with dmraid? the official doesn't seem to work... while the x86 do work, and gen2dmraid also... so would it be a amd64 version of gen2dmraid?

Try the 2005.0 liveCD, it has genkernel 3.1.5 which includes dmraid.

After boot type:
Code:
 dmsetup mknodes

To activate dmraid created things. To use dmraid manually on the LiveCD, you need to extract it from the initrd image.

well, AFAIK, at boot time, when dmraid loads it has to create some nodes, and after booting if i check /dev there isn't a mapper directory. so if i run dmsetup mknodes it just creates /mapper/control and nothing more. funny thing is that with gen2dmraid everything is mapped (i've a via raid, detected as via or pdc and mapped as pdc.
anyway, i don't know how to extract the initrd file :/ any hint? thanks!

jcdekoning wrote:
I fixed the problem by using the dmsetup mknodes in the checkroot file. Now the system is booting. Thanx

Anyone ones if this can also be reached with Fedora?

well, since the creator of dmraid is a part of the fedora project (red hat), I think it has to be in the fedora's installer.
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I restored the windows MBR, so grub now loads properly.
But at the grub prompt, I can load the kernel, but I can't set up the root= part properly. I try root=(hd0,3) and root=/dev/mapper/sil*4, but neither works. Both boot options (or no option) give me a kernel panic "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254,4).
When I run geometry (hd0) under grub, I get a message on all but the first partition (/boot) saying "Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS". Does this mean my / partition has to be at the front of the disk?
I have the following layout
Code:

hd0,0    /boot    30MB
hd0,1    winxp    110GB
hd0,2    swap     2048MB
hd0,3    /        180GB

My geometry is
Code:
drive 0x80: C/H/S = 2/255/63, The number of sectors = 32130, CHS.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bootloader is fine. You just don't use it correctly to launch the OS :)

The root= parameter on the kernel requires a linux device name, so root=(hdx,y) is foolish.
root=/dev/mapper/part is also impossible as things in /dev/mapper must be set-up in userspace EVERY time you boot.

So, root=/dev/ram0
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried boot=/dev/ram0 and get the same kernel panic: "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254,4)."
I rebooted with the CD and ran this in grub:
Code:
/sbin/grub --device-map=/dev/null
grub> device (hd0,0) /dev/mapper/sil_afadeaaieibhb1
grub> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_afadeaaieibhb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)

Then I checked my grub.conf:
Code:
timeout 30
default 0

title  Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /linux-2.6.11-dmraid root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/mapper/sil_afadeaaieibhb4 init=/linuxrc
initrd /initrd

title Windows
root (hd0,1)
rootnoverify
chainloader +1

sil_afadeaaieibhb1 is my "/boot" partition.
sil_afadeaaieibhb2 is my winxp partition.
sil_afadeaaieibhb3 is my swap partition.
sil_afadeaaieibhb4 is my "/' partition.
In fdisk, I made sure sil_afadeaaieibhb1 was the only active partition.

Just now while looking through the linuxrc script, I noticed that just before my kernel panic, I see the linuxrc error message about not having a pid of 1.
Am I somehow not calling it correctly? I have linuxrc (and linuxrc-0.93) in my /boot directory with 755 permissions.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver wrote:
I tried boot=/dev/ram0 and get the same kernel panic: "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254,4)."
So, bootloader has been installed cleanly.

Quote:
checked my grub.conf:
Code:
timeout 30
default 0

title  Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /linux-2.6.11-dmraid root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/mapper/sil_afadeaaieibhb4 init=/linuxrc
initrd /initrd

Looks fine.

Quote:

Just now while looking through the linuxrc script, I noticed that just before my kernel panic, I see the linuxrc error message about not having a pid of 1.
Am I somehow not calling it correctly? I have linuxrc (and linuxrc-0.93) in my /boot directory with 755 permissions.

Linuxrc isn't loacated at /boot. You can find it in the initrd image.

Try passing init=/bin/sh on the kernel commandline.
Run /linuxrc manually by typing:
Code:
exec /linuxrc  # inherit the shell's PID

kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I got to the grub prompt and ran the kernel line (with /bin/sh), the initrd line, and boot, and it booted to a shell. I then execed /linuxrc and it worked! :D
Now the question is, how do I get it to do all that on its own.
The fact that it did work makes me think the issue is the way I'm calling linuxrc, so I'll look into that.
AlphaHeX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have 2x 120 Seagate SATA harddrives set in bios to be a RAID0 (It's intel ICH5R). I'm booting from Gen2dmraid LiveCD and after
Code:
dmraid -ay

command i have a block device is /dev/mapper/ called iswfsfsaf[HeX]. I know that raid was discovered by dmraid as [HeX] is a name of the raid which i've set up in the bios. Invoking Code:

Code:
fdisk /dev/mapper/ called iswfsfsaf[HeX]

is showing me the whole raid (concerning diskspace - it's 240GB). Do i have to do partitioning before setting up raid in Linux (In Windows) or can i just make partitions under Linux using fdisk? You all are talking here that i have to do partitioning in windows because setting up partitions in Linux will overwrite RAID0 information stored at the begining and at the end of each disk ?
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you *have* to do. But I did the following and it worked:

Gentoo:
Boot gen2dmraid and make your partitions. Mine were:
Code:
sil_*1 /boot     ext2
sil_*2 windows   ext2 (doesn't matter)
sil_*3 swap      swap
sil_*4 /         reiser3

Install gentoo.

One problem I discovered using reiser was the gen2dmraid CD only has support for creating a reiser4 partition, which requires patching the kernel and grub. So I made my sil_*3 partition ext2 and did the install onto it first, including the reiserfsprogs. Then I formatted my / partition as reiserfs and did a copy -a from sil_*3 to sil_*4.

Windows:
Boot your windows CD (remember that windows xp needs SATA drivers on a floppy :evil:).
Under its disk partitioner, delete the windows partition and tell it to install in that free space.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver wrote:
Okay. I got to the grub prompt and ran the kernel line (with /bin/sh), the initrd line, and boot, and it booted to a shell. I then execed /linuxrc and it worked! :D
Now the question is, how do I get it to do all that on its own.
The fact that it did work makes me think the issue is the way I'm calling linuxrc, so I'll look into that.

If the exec trick works, you should automate it telling the kernel /linuxrc is the initial program. Verify you have init=/linuxrc as the last kernel commandline argument.

Quote:

Code:
fdisk /dev/mapper/ called iswfsfsaf[HeX]

is showing me the whole raid (concerning diskspace - it's 240GB). Do i have to do partitioning before setting up raid in Linux (In Windows) or can i just make partitions under Linux using fdisk? You all are talking here that i have to do partitioning in windows because setting up partitions in Linux will overwrite RAID0 information stored at the begining and at the end of each disk ?

You can use fdisk to setup the partitions, but it might be a good idea to do partitioning without Linux and dmraid. Doing all initial setup in Linux won't give you any feedback if things are going wrong or well. But normally it should be no problem.
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
If the exec trick works, you should automate it telling the kernel /linuxrc is the initial program. Verify you have init=/linuxrc as the last kernel commandline argument.

I type in at the grub prompt, the same info from my grub.conf file, word for word:
Code:
initrd /initrd
boot

My guess now is that somehow grub is not reading the grub.conf file when it boots. Or I didn't properly associate the grub.conf file with grub?
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver wrote:

My guess now is that somehow grub is not reading the grub.conf file when it boots. Or I didn't properly associate the grub.conf file with grub?
If you get a menu, grub succeeded to locate a config file (normally).
If grub boots with a shell (no menu), it wasn't able to find the config file.
If you are typing in grub, you are in fact overruling the config file.

Try playing with the order of the kernel commandline arguments. Or try to append a space to the last argument. I've been seeinging strange errors when using some linux bootloaders.

Remember you can type 'e' at the grub prompt to edit grub's boot commands (I.E. to edit the kernel commanline).
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
If you get a menu, grub succeeded to locate a config file (normally).
If grub boots with a shell (no menu), it wasn't able to find the config file.
If you are typing in grub, you are in fact overruling the config file.

That was my guess. Since I just get the grub> shell prompt, I don't think it sees my config file. I've been searching the internet to try to figure out why.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a /boot/grub/menu.lst file? Never mind, it's not the reason your system ignores init=/linuxrc and stops booting after initializing the kernel. Really, try the space trick!
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the space trick is putting a space on the end of the kernel line in grub.conf.
When I get to the grub> prompt I type in the lines from my grub.conf exactly as listed in the conf file (and it boots fine), so would changing the order really do anything?

Does the fact that I reach a grub> prompt mean the kernel has loaded?
Out of curiosity, how is it that grub can see my /boot partition does it have devmapper capability?
Wicked Wesley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

I have an MSI Neo2 motherboard, with an nvdia raid controller on it. I can mount the raid partition, and I installed grub on it, only, it doesn't want to boot, it give me a "Geom" error. I searched around the forums, I searched google, no answer anywhere :( Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Wesley
kwiqsilver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked Wesley wrote:
it give me a "Geom" error.

What is the full text of the error message?
Wicked Wesley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwiqsilver wrote:
Wicked Wesley wrote:
it give me a "Geom" error.

What is the full text of the error message?

It just says "Geom" that's it.

But I researched some more, I found out that GRUB can't read off my RAID devices for some strange reason, I booted grub from a floppy, typed in kernel (hd1,0)/bzImage and it gives me some kind of error message about the kernel. I try to load the exact same kernel from another partition (Non-RAID) and it works fine. Same thing with the initrd file. Anyone got any idea why? I would love some help with this, I've been trying to get Linux working for more than a week now :(

Weird thing too:
If I type "Geometry" GRUB returns the wrong C/H/S values. I try to change them, nothing happens.

Another odd thing:
I can't boot into GRUB from my RAID disk, It hangs at loading stage 2, I believe.

I think I'm gonna message some GRUb dev or something.

Thanks for your time,
Wesley
Ubnormal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding RAID1 mirror when one of hard disk fails Reply with quote

At first, big thanks to irondog, this howto is VERY helpfull, after hours of reading this howto and many kernel compilations my Gentoo box is up and running with an Intel ICH6R fakeraid controller. All the problems i had are the problems of kernel setup. This things have worked for me:
1) Compile into kernel(NOT MODULE!!!) device-mapper(and all of it's feautures)
2) Compile into kernel(NOT MODULE!!!) Multiple device driver support
3) Compile into kernel(NOT MODULE!!!) ata_piix
4) Compile into kernel(NOT MODULE!!!) driver for your raid controller in a "SCSI low -level drivers"
5) DISABLE devfs support in the Filesystems->Pseudo Filesystems->devfs

Let's go back to the subject. Now i have a working RAID mirror and the big question is how to detect hardware failure of one of the disks in the mirror and how to make this array work after replacement of the dead disk.
jcdekoning
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Dmraid and Fedora Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right place but i just want you to know that i have installed fedora with dmraid support.

To make installation possible i booted my pc with the gen2dmraid live cd. I mounted my hdd and my other cdrom drive which contains the fedora installation dvd.

Then i mounted the stage2 file from the fedora installation drive and copied it to the hdd. I create an extra rpm directory and copied all the rpm packages from the installation dvd to this directory. Next i used chroot on my hdd to get me logged in inside the stage2 enviroment.

I installed all the rpm packages which are normally installed for a minimum installation by using the fedora installer. I found this list inside the root directory of my laptop which has a minimum installation of fedora. The file is called install.log

The first time i used rpm i get some errors about missing a directory in var. I created this directory and started rpm --initdb. Then i installed all the rpm packages. You still will get some warnings but this is now problems. Use --nodeps when there are some dependicies issues.

After installing of all the rpm i downloaded the kernel source and compiled device-mapper and some sata devices inside it. (just like gentoo). Next i used the dmraidinitrd script to create an initrd file. I get some error with compiling busybox so i downloaded a new one and changed the dmraidscript.

Next i installed grub just like you do with gentoo and rebooted my pc. I also had some problems with the dmsetup mknodes issue so i put this command inside some bootscript. Then i rebooted an fedora was there.

This story looks really easy but i get a lot of errors by the installation which i have not described here and are pc dependent. I just described the global installation. Maybe i will create a detailed description later. Good luck!
NoControl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a problem trying to boot off of my device-mapped raid0 array.

The entire installation went basically fine. GRUB starts (I get the menu) and my kernel boots. But I suspect it never gets to executing linuxrc (not sure, unfortunately).

The last three messages my kernel says:
Code:
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

I've read this entire topic (and another howto on this forum for with the partition-mapper script :)) and I haven't read a solution yet. Is it normal that it's trying to mount unknown-block(1,0)?

Is my problem initrd/linuxrc related, or are those already run?

My partition setup (160gb total):
Code:
   32Mb   /boot (ext2)
 1024Mb   swap
10240Mb   / (reiser4)
10240Mb   /home (fat32)
10240Mb   (emtpy) (reserved for WinXP)
   rest   /mnt/junk (fat32)

Steps I took for setting up GRUB:
Code:
grub --device-map=/dev/null

device (hd0,0) /dev/mapper/isw_cacaigadei_twins1
device (hd0) /dev/mapper/isw_cacaigadei_twins
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
quit

My grub.conf:
Code:
default 0
timeout 8

title Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/mapper/isw_cacaigadei_twins3 init=/linuxrc
initrd /initrd

I've also tried the suggestion at the end of the howto (replacing hd0 with hd1 everywhere), but then GRUB complains before starting the kernel.
I've also tried replacing the setup (hd0,0) command with setup (hd0), but that had no noticable effect.

Since my kernel is booting, I assume the array can be read by GRUB, so I think the problem is either reiser4 (first time I'm using it) or the initrd (most likely).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Erlend
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I suspect it never gets to executing linuxrc (not sure, unfortunately).

Test it. Edit your initrd...
1. mv initrd initrd.gz && gunzip initrd.gz
2. mount -o loop initrd /mnt
3. cd /mnt
4. nano -w linuxrc
5. Edit the file to contain echo "hi" at the top and save
6. cd /
7. umount /mnt
8. gzip initrd
9. mv initrd.gz initrd

Quote:
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

I'm quite familiar with this kind of error message, but not referring to udf! UDF is on of the cdrom filesystems. Can't help you with this one, except to tell you to check that your initrd is in ext2 format.

Erlend
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: