View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefanwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Emerge KDE 3.1 RC without previous KDE Reply with quote

Hi! My first post... :)

OK, I just installed Gentoo! :D
I emerged Xfree86 and I now want to emerge KDE 3.1. I know it's still in RC stage, but I want to give it a try. So, do I need to emerge KDE 3.0.5 first? I only found suggestions here how to install 3.1 with a previous KDE already installed. So, how do I emerge it "from scratch"? Which files do I need to edit so I can emerge 3.1? Anything special to consider? What about QT?

Thanks so much!
Steve
MrJ412
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Just unmask it Reply with quote

Just unmask KDE 3.1 RC 5 in the /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask file by commenting out (put a # at the start of the line) that section of the file.

Then just do an 'emerge -p kde' and 'emerge kde' ... It should work, you don't need 3.0.5 installed first.

This worked for me when I first installed Gentoo a few weeks ago...
stefanwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! :D
stefanwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, had a major problem.
I did what was suggested, but when compiling it complained about lacking QT >=3.1.
So I unmasked the QT things and did an "emerge qt". OK, it compiled, but about 45 config files weren't updated! Do I have to check them all by hand!? I know I can disable the file protection in /etc, but I looked at some of the new files and I'd have to go through every file too, as some would have been replaced with the default, not for my system files (e.g. fstab). So, I had nothing to lose and just tried to emerge after a reboot, but of course there's a major version collision with python for example as no config files were updated.
It's good I made a HD image before doing all this so I don't have to reinstall everything.
Does anyone know a more "clean" way to install it? Or, what did I do wrong?
Thanks again!
Steve

Edit: Just found out in the FAQ about the config files. I'll look into it...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: