USE variable in /etc/make.cong
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordalyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: USE variable in /etc/make.cong Reply with quote

I have not actually yet understood the meaning of the USE variable in /etc/make.conf.
1) Is it kind of like selecting the packages that I want?
2) Or does it effect in the way each source is compiled?
3) And..for expample, if I didn't include "mysql" in USE variable before bootstrapping, can I add it later on after the installation? And if I didnt include "mysql" in USE, am i not able to install MySQL server on my gentoo machine?
4) and does USE have any effect if I use stage2 or stage3 tarball?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: USE variable in /etc/make.cong Reply with quote

lordalyc wrote:
2) Or does it effect in the way each source is compiled?
This one. There's some documentation here.
Quote:
if I didn't include "mysql" in USE variable before bootstrapping, can I add it later on after the installation?
Yes. If you had previously installed software that acts differently depending on whether that variable was defined, you would have to recompile that software for your changes to take effect.
Quote:
And if I didnt include "mysql" in USE, am i not able to install MySQL server on my gentoo machine?
You can install MySQL even with USE="-mysql".
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of programs can have different functionality compiled into them. That is, you can enable or disable certain interfaces, APIs, and so on based on settings you choose.

USE flags are a way of setting all that stuff in one place and picking values so that if you don't plan on using a given functionality (like gnome) then you can bascially tell the system that anytime you compile something, don't bother adding the extra bits for gnome, since you don't need it.

Adding flags to USE does not cause any packages to be built for you. It just controls what features are compiled into the packages that you *do* build.

You can change USE flags at any point. You may need to go recompile programs that need them, however. In general a USE flag like 'mysql' doesn't control whether or not MySQL can be used on the system, it controls whether the other apps that might be able to connect to or use MySQL will have those capabilities compiled into them...

Regarding stage 2 and stage 3: Given that you may end up recompiling your kernel and other major packages at any point, even if you didn't start from Stage 1, I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here) you still should set the USE flags based on your needs....
lordalyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but do the options in USE variable affect in any way the performance or size or whatever of my system? for example if i had more stuff in USE, would my system be slower?
and is it safe to add all the options possible to USE variable so it'd be sure that everything works fine when the installation is complete?
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically, yes. Maybe not a lot, and maybe not even perceptably, but as I said before, you're having other interfaces and functions added into any programs you compile.

But I'm pretty sure it's probably more painful to deal with things that are broken because you chose too few USE flags and have a machine that is 0.02% faster, than to error on the side of caution and have flags in there that you really don't end up needing. So feel free to play it safe and use any USE flags that seem like you might use them at all ....

Did that answer your question?

Last edited by mooman on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
lordalyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. thanks.

and one more thing, if i have Duron 1GHz then what should be the options in CFLAGS variable?
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -03 -pipe" would be fine? since the newest duron should have Palomino architecture core.

Last edited by lordalyc on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
mooman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very thorough thread about CFLAGS at CFLAG Central

Skim through it and you should find lots of info..
lordalyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: