A little help for a lost newbie....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: A little help for a lost newbie.... Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I am a newbie to gentoo, but really interested as it seems to provide an optimised distro for my computer (meaning the fact that it compiles everything when installing, it is great as you can delete options you don't want).
However, I have read carefully the install doc, and can't ake work one thing. I have a speedtouch alcatel modem (the little funny green thing), and can't configure it. When I launch the image, the two lights are steady green, so I suppose it is recognized. I tried to use adsl-config but the bash tells me it is a not known command.
Does anyone has any idea of how I could configure it, in order to start the installation??
Thanks
Regards, pek
fusion
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your using the newest Live Cd, and the adsl commands for PPPoE
are adsl-setup and adsl-start
i belive that most adsl connections are PPPoE

Quote:
PPPoE configuration

Assuming you need PPPoE to connect to the internet, the livecd (any version) has made things easy for you by including rp-pppoe. Use the provided adsl-setup script to configure your connection. You will be prompted for the ethernet device that is connected to your adsl modem, your username and password, the IPs of your DNS servers, and if you need a basic firewall or not.

Code listing 5.1: Configuring PPPoE

# adsl-setup
# adsl-start

If something goes wrong, double-check that you correctly typed your username and password by looking at /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, and make sure you are using the right ethernet device.

Nova
Xinos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: DSL connection Reply with quote

Here is a good link if the previous did not help:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13002&highlight=adslsetup

Don't forget to put adsl-start in your startup file mentioned in the link above and don't forget that if you don't have a static ip you will have to setup dhcp which I believe is also mentioned. If you need any more help with this give a shout and I will be more specific. Give it a shot. Good Luck

Long Live Linux. Gentoo Rocks![/url]

K. Allan Wilson
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: