What shall I do with my U60?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: What shall I do with my U60? Reply with quote

As many of you know I have been playing with some ultra's namely an U1, U30 and U60. I am now down to my last system the U60.

My intention when I started was to have a dual booting solaris/linux box, primarily for learning and keeping my skills up on the solaris side and having a p2p client and general playing on the linux side. My luck on the latter has been non-existent trying to get an edonkey type client working.

I bought a 50Gb external disk which I formatted ufs :oops: and backed up all my solaris 2Gb disks :wink: to, thinking this would be my main disk, later to learn that the write support was experimental for UFS. Even though it was compiled in the kernel I could never seem to mount it rw anyway, even with all the correct flags.

So, what do I do with my box :twisted:

I have installed apache2 and was considering transferring my web hosted sites to the U60 and hosting my own server. I assume this would be simple enough, I use apache on my PC to test my code. I guess its just a case of forwarding port 80 through my router/modem/firewall to the U60?

I have a home based setup i.e. one PC, an xbox and my u60. My router/modem/firewall passes the Shields up with flying colours, is there any other things I should consider on the U60 - software firewall / anti virus?

Should I consider setting up a mail server for my sites? Can this be done, what do people suggest I use for this (bearing in mind, I'm no expert)

Maybe I should consider using it for something else?

Any suggestions welcome.

Mark
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U60 is going to be severe overkill in a server role, but by all means go for it. Consider multitasking it too.

For comparison, I've got an Ultra1 170 C3D with 128 megs of ram hosting web (apache with goodies), mail (postfix + teapop), file serving (samba/nfs), and occasional bit torrent stuff. It rarely goes above 50% load, and never seems unresponsive.

If you've got a beefier Ultra60, say dual 350 procs or better, you could likely use it for a variety of purposes including desktop, gaming, gaming-server (ideal for this ... ), or muck around with "enterprise" engineering apps (like pro engineer, 3dstudio, etc) in slowaris on it ... maybe try out solaris binary emuation ...

FYI, on the Ultra1 I was able to compile and run quite a few game console emulators at acceptable speeds... which was a few years ago, so I'm sure things are better now than they were... I've found my sparc boxes well suited for emulation->gaming
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I was talking today to a friend who suggested using 'Courier Mail Server'. Anyone using this? I see that it Sparc friendly.

Mark
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: