View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: xfce4 panel Reply with quote

Anyone know if its possible to autohide the xfce4 panel? Its a lovely little desktop system but without AutoHide and OnTop its no use to me as everything maximises over the panel.
Erik2v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They task bar autohides now, but alas, the main panel still doesn't have autohide support.

I'm wondering how to hook up my Gnome menu to the menu. I can't find help on this anywhere.
satellite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: xfce4 panel Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
Anyone know if its possible to autohide the xfce4 panel? Its a lovely little desktop system but without AutoHide and OnTop its no use to me as everything maximises over the panel.

You can use the worskspace margin settings to tell xfce not to cover your panel..

I agree it needs an autohide feature, but until we get that, I find the margins setting a compromise.

--
Satellite
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the developers a few weeks ago (the xfce4-dev mailing list is good stuff to read(!)).
The don't want to enable autohiding for technical and design reasons.
Ok for me.
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I asked on the dev list a couple of days ago and the answer was deftly avoided. Shame really, it's a very nice desktop but I`m not giving up 32pixel's of real estate just because the dev's don't want to correct previous design flaws. I had been using xfce4 with the adjusted margin in the hope that autohide would come soon but now it's back to fluxbox and another linux DE joins gnome and kde in the "nice try" bucket.
Erik2v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have made an inquiry about autohiding the panel.

Well, I've talked with some people in the list. I've volunteered myself to take a look into implementing this. It looks as if they agree that it can be implemented (or that at least they would consider a solution).

I've *never* coded with GTK/Gnome. I'm a Windows coder and have been using C++ for *ever*. Keep your fingers crossed.

Erik
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear some good news on this. Hope you do well.
Erik2v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Autohide Reply with quote

Well, it's taken some time but I finally submitted a patch to the panel for autohide. Jasper has taken the code and added implemented it into the CVS development branch.

I can't wait to give it a try!

-Erik
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man. Hardly taken forever too, for a non-nix coder thats a pretty impressive turnaround.
Erik2v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Fortunately the 'taskbar' code was pretty tight, had autohide. I borrowed a lot from there. Not to mention the support of the main folks heading up the project.

I just feel like I got the ball rolling and submitted some code. Jasper was able to take it and extend the code to fit better in the framework, and make it more compliant.

I'm just happy to contribute, and thrilled that everyone was so supportive in the group for getting this feature in before code-freeze!

-Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: