Evolution-2.0 Russian Characters
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Russian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khermans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Evolution-2.0 Russian Characters Reply with quote

Can any of you Russian speaking people tell an English and Russian speaking American how to get Evolution to recognize Russian characters? Whenever I want to type to someone using Russian characters I always get a bunch of question marks, but I want the Russian alphabet in there. Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Может любой из Вас, российские люди разговора говорят английскому и российскому американцу разговора, как заставить Развитие признавать российские характеры? Всякий раз, когда я хочу напечатать к кому - то, используя российские характеры, я всегда получаю связку вопросительных знаков, но я хочу российский алфавит в там. Любая помощь была бы оценена...

Kristian Hermansen

PS - Also, to even get Russian characters into this website I had to ditch Firefox and use Internet Explorer! If you know how to get Russian characters in Firefox too, let me know!!!
icedank
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, please please please, don't use translation programms. Your `russian` text looks like: "I be not sure don't engliscsh known" :)

Regarding your question - seems, you don't have russian locale setup or you don't have russian fonts installed. Can you please provide us with `locale` output at least...
khermans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icedank wrote:
At first, please please please, don't use translation programms. Your `russian` text looks like: "I be not sure don't engliscsh known" :)

Regarding your question - seems, you don't have russian locale setup or you don't have russian fonts installed. Can you please provide us with `locale` output at least...

Here it is. Is there anything else that would help?

Code:
$ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Kristian Hermansen
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to run evolution the following way:
Code:
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R evolution

Try it. I suppose, you'll have problems with Russian fonts, but it worth trying.
Also, you may want to use Unicode, then use "LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8". I myself prefer to use utf-8.
khermans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! I think I will go with UNICODE UTF-8 since that is more general. Do you know how to get the Russian fonts as well??

Kristian Hermansen
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, general set of Russian fonts come with X, either XFree or XOrg.

But you need USE-flag "nls" to be set for them to get installed. Check your x-fonts directory (usually /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts for xfree and /usr/share/fonts for xorg, I guess one is a "ln -s" to the other) to have "cyrillic" subdirectory.

Also, you may (I'd say should, they do worth it) install the following fonts: ttf-bitstream-vera, corefonts, freefonts, sharefonts, urw-fonts. Take a look at this topic to make your fonts look better.

As far as I remember, Evolution and other gtk+ progs (as well, as qt ones) take care of your locale. If evolution (and any other piece of software) is installed with USE-flag "nls" set (and Russian translation is included) and you have Russian locale , your interface is gonna be in Russian. Guess, you'll have difficulties with Evolution then ;) I prefer to use english interface for almost all progs.

Given you have cyrillic fonts, you'll be able to read Russian mail. To write in Russian, you'll need to setup your xkb or whatever you use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Russian All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: