SGI Octane Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: SGI Octane Question Reply with quote

I am closing in on getting a working Octane up and running.

From what I understand dual octane support isnt here yet, but will a dual run in single mode?

There seems to be two types of motherboards available, with as best as I can tell the difference being the color of the handle and the amount of ram that they can take. Silver handle = 8 gig of ram, black = 2 gig of ram. Im also guessing that the motherboards are interchangeable between the Octane and the Octane 2. If I have a choice, which one should I get.

Im trying to work my way into the SE range of video cards (2nd generation of Octane impact video cards) which I suspect shouldnt cause a problem with getting X working.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, Octanes weigh a ton :)
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: SGI Octane Question Reply with quote

liquiz wrote:
I am closing in on getting a working Octane up and running.

From what I understand dual octane support isnt here yet, but will a dual run in single mode?

Yes, I believe an Octane w/ an SMP module should boot, only activating a single CPU. Skylark won a dual R10K module on eBay sometime ago, but I am unsure if he's gotten it in yet and figured out how Octane SMP works. The Octane in theory supports up to 4 Processors, and this is evidenced by the mainboard design, but SGI never produced a quad module for some reason (atleast never in production use, it's probable they *may* have produced in-house quad units for experimental testing).

Quote:
There seems to be two types of motherboards available, with as best as I can tell the difference being the color of the handle and the amount of ram that they can take. Silver handle = 8 gig of ram, black = 2 gig of ram. Im also guessing that the motherboards are interchangeable between the Octane and the Octane 2. If I have a choice, which one should I get.

Either works. Octane2 is the same thing as Octane, just has the 8GB mainboard, the silver-handle PSU (the better, more powerful PSU, required for VPro), blue skin, XBow 1.4 Frontplane, and VPro (Odessey) graphics capabilities (which isn't supported in Linux).

Quote:
Im trying to work my way into the SE range of video cards (2nd generation of Octane impact video cards) which I suspect shouldnt cause a problem with getting X working.

X may be a bit off....only one guy has the ability to code for this machine, that being Skylark (as we know him on IRC), so we all have to wait on his work. Hopefully, more kernel hackers will pick up on his work and support will become greater.

Quote:
Oh and in case anyone is wondering, Octanes weigh a ton :)

Only weighs ~54lbs :)

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: