View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: gentoo & redhat Reply with quote

im really impressed by redhat 8's GUI, bluecurve is nice and the font rendering is top notch. BUT redhat pales in comparison to gentoo for system controll and maintainance, and packageing.

what i want to know is, does anyone know a method of installing all of the redhat bluecurve and font rendering stuff onto gentoo, to basically get a redhat8 desktop on a gentoo system.

i see that their are bluecurve packages in portage, and i have installed them in gentoo, but i can't get the font rendering that redhat8 has and as i understand it, this is not the standard font rendering.

i think you guys know what im going for here, id appreciate any help possible in this.

by the way, i do use gnome2 bluecurve and not the KDE version.

---

on a side note, have you noticed that gentoo has no problems compiling any kernel? i have compiled everything from the gentoo, vanillas, wolk, and some of the 2.5.x series including 2.5.47 and 2.5.5 and they always work, but on redhat8 i cannot get ANY kernel to complile. not even a recompile on the stock kernel. i just find that interesting.
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that font control buisness that Redhat 8 has in it comes from the development branch of Gnome (eg. 2.1.x). Redhat tweaked it themselves so that its just as stable as 2.0. So you could install 2.1.2 now and have all that crap, like the panel-notification area and greater font-rendering control, but be wary, 2.1.2 is quite unstable (.2 especially, .3 and .4 are supposed to be quite a bit better).
aanund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, so thats why everything suddenly started looking so nice :=)

well, i would go with the install 2.1.3 or 4 option, ive done that, and im not having any problems at all.

except that fonts started looking better off course:P
Vann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Bluecurve Reply with quote

Also, FYI, you can install Bluecurve by emerging redhat-artwork. However, it requires QT 3.0.5, so if you've upgraded to 3.1 as I have then the compilation will fail on the KDE bluecurve theme.

Oh well.
frenion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the exact same dilemma as syadnom. Maybe it would be possible to install the redhat gnome rpms on Gentoo? What I need as well is a working mozilla 1.2.1 with XFT support. I have no idea if this is in the portage tree yet.
I could install gnome 2.1.3 and see if it is more stable than 2.1.2, but I really need a version of gnome 2.1.x on my desktop, 2.0.x is simply unusable, and the gentoo ebuilds of 2.1.x is yet too unstable to be used. It would help me a lot of I could install the redhat rpms on my gentoo box.
Or maybe the redhat gnome sourcecode could be compiled by oneself? I am just not much into installing gnome from source, without emerge...
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm my fonts look nice (better than redhat) and i have a better unifyed theme.

SilverCurve

http://yellowk.n3.net/~kappax/

edit, somebody killed my hd :( no screenshot of sc anymore.

Last edited by kappax on Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note, syadnom for syadnom (and other other gentoo gnome 2 users) redhat-artwork emerges fine, as long as you have -kde set in your make.conf USE variables.

Gnome 2.1.2 (the latest in portage) does include font configuration, like Redhat 8.0, but is quite unstable at the moment. I'd recommended holding off on an upgrade, at least until Gnome 2.1.3 makes it into portage.
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, freetype-2.1.2-r2 fixes the font problems I was having, and I really do llike the theme "LighthouseBlue" which is based off of Bluecurve, available for metacity, gtk1 and gtk2. Here's the link"
http://lighthouseblue.sourceforge.net/
it's in Portage as well (well the gtk parts, but older versions)
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should put that for d/l at sourceforge.net linux== free
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bluecurve Reply with quote

Vann wrote:
Also, FYI, you can install Bluecurve by emerging redhat-artwork. However, it requires QT 3.0.5, so if you've upgraded to 3.1 as I have then the compilation will fail on the KDE bluecurve theme.

Oh well.

Actually, if you search for "redhat" on bugs.gentoo.org you'll find a fix for redhat-artwork-0.48. The big problem was that RH had packaged .moc files for 3.0.5. Big whoop.

The package hasn't been updated in about three weeks; I hope the fix comes out soon.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

max_colby wrote:
On another note, freetype-2.1.2-r2 fixes the font problems I was having, and I really do llike the theme "LighthouseBlue" which is based off of Bluecurve, available for metacity, gtk1 and gtk2. Here's the link"
http://lighthouseblue.sourceforge.net/
it's in Portage as well (well the gtk parts, but older versions)

Will these work for KDE.. i love KDE and would love to make it look nice.. the default stuff is just crap that it comes with.. hehe
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

# emerge -s redhat-artwork
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : redhat-artwork ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-themes/redhat-artwork
      Latest version available: 0.47
      Latest version installed: 0.47
      Size of downloaded files: 7,460 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.redhat.com
      Description: RedHat's Bluecurve theme for GTK1, GTK2, KDE3, GDM, Metacity and Nautilus

Bluecurve is Redhat's attempt to unify all the Linux GUIs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: