warnings and install hints..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: warnings and install hints.. Reply with quote

With a working gentoo system (installed from 1.4R1 CD) I enabled the beta software installs by putting ~x86 in my make.conf file, did emerge --update world, then came back to find konsole no longer worked.. So I commented out ~x86 and did emerge --update world, then came back to find my computer was messed up. To make a long story short, I eventually gave up trying to fix it and decided to start over from scratch. Don't add ~x86 to your make.conf then go back later! My glibc went from 2.2.5 to 2.3.1 and couldn't get back!!!

While re-installing I did the usual emerge sync stuff (started with stage 3), added software, etc. But things did not go well, certain packages wouldn't emerge etc. A number of little things here and there that wouldn't emerge right. I THINK I finally figured out why so many problems, and I'm doing emerge --emptytree system, then emerge --emptytree <various packages> that hopefully will finally get me back to a clean system. I didn't emerge portage so I wasn't up to the latest 2.0.44!!! I'm still new to gentoo, it is not in the install instructions (that I saw), and I didn't think about it. In fact, the only reason I even had a clue about it's existence is because of my previous attempt at working with the unstable packages which required updating portage.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, uprgrading glibc is a good candidate for the FAQ. The "~" indicates the package is unstable and problems are likely to occur. Most problems with the 2.3.1 upgrade occured when people tried to go back to 2.2.5, though. For me at least, 2.3.1 and kde 3.1rc3 are running pretty darn good with just an occasional glitch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: