me again power management question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: me again power management question Reply with quote

Hi all. You may remember me from my other posts, one of which was about my usb mouse not working in gentoo.
I solved that problem by getting a new keyboard and mouse, a logitech wirless set.
I had no porblem getting them to work (since they are PS/2 with the usb-PS/2 adapter that came with it)
Everything was working great (my thanks to all Gentoo developers!) it really is a great distro and I was finally getting it just right.
I was setting up the last few things I needed when I decided to try to fix the error message I was getting on shutdown (after the computer says poweroff)
It was the same problem that is described in several other posts. The suggestions people posted were to turn on ACPI and turn APM off.
I did this, and the error went away as well as everything else seemed to be working except for one thing:
The mouse is an optical wireless one, and the light went off and hasn't come back on since.
sorry if this message is formatted bad but I am not used to lynx and that is all I can use without the mouse.
I tried many different combinations of bios settings and kernel configurations and nothing has brought it back!
I tried rebooting many times, new batteries, pounding on the connect buttons on the reciever and the mouse (in many different orders and patterns).
I took the batteries out and unplugged the whole mess over night. still no light in the mouse.
My motherboard is an Epox EP-D3VA which is an SMP board but I only have one processor on it. Like I said EVERYTHING WORKED before I turned on ACPI, and removing it from the kernel didn't bring the mouse back either.
I have searched for an answer everywhere I can think of (including linuxdoc.org, these forums and the kernel docs).
My bios has options for both ACPI and APM if that helps .. thanks! ugly
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well can you recompile the kernel
i have a dual plll system and have this enabled

[*] Power Management support
[*] ACPI Support

<*> ACPI Bus Manager
<*> System

<*> Advanced Power Management Bios support

<*> RTC stores time in GTM

these are all i have selected under the pm acpi and apm but it shuts down cleanly and i have the logitech wireless optical mouse and keyboard too...although i am not sure why your mouse died....i dont think that anything you selected in the kernel should kill your mouse...lol
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

well, the mouse started working again on its own when I got home today. But I think the shutdown error is back (I was trying to set it back to the way it was). Now I will try again but be more careful to save my kernel config files so I can switch back. I will try the settings you suggest first, thanks for the info. it is encouraging that you are running a similar system to mine.

thanks a lot!
uglyman
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your power issues you can check out this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=269

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: