Remerging Gnome 2.0.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Remerging Gnome 2.0.3 Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a long and involved story about why I need to do this, but here's my question:

How do I re-emerge gnome 2.0.3, if I have gnome 2.1.2 right now?

I wanted to try the development branch, but when I try to unmerge gnome, all it does is umerge the base package...obviously gnome has about a million dependencies, so how do I unmerge all those, so I can do a fresh emerge of 2.0.3?

I realize I might have gotten myself a little too far down shit creek to turn back now, but figured it's worth asking around if only to learn how portage works a little better...
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a better way of doing it but here's mine.

Things like gnome-base/gnome and kde-base/kde are "meta-builds". They don't build anything, they just contain dependencies on all the parts that are necessary to build a complete Gnome or KDE system, thus forcing Portage to emerge the relevant builds. That's why unmerging gnome-base/gnome won't get the desired results.

If you have a look at the /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.1.2.ebuild and have a look at the DEPEND/RDEPEND lines it will reference the things you need to unmerge. You can put it all in one emerge -C statement. Best to be explicit with the versions your are unmerging I reckon, after all you can have multiple versions of glib, gtk etc installed (usually to satisfy your Gnome 1.x apps).

BTW, DEPEND refer to dependencies for building the software, whereas RDEPEND refer to dependencies that are needed once the software is installed and actually needs to run.

Once you've done that I would have a hunt around your home folder and /etc and make sure you've cleaned up old Gnome settings and profiles because there may be differences between the two releases.
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't really have the time to try this out just yet...stupid finals week...but I'll work on it this weekend!
catalYst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord...I think I've really screwed myself. Is there any sure-fire way to make sure all of a gnome installation is unemerged???

I did what the post above said, and emerged gnome 2.0.3, except now I'm getting all the same instability as 2.1.2, which leads me to suspect that something did not get removed!!!

Grrrr....all I wanted to do was unmerge gnome, and re-emerge it cleanly!!!!!!!
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was you, I would just unmerge all the masked gnome ebuilds in: /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask

Code:
# <foser@gentoo.org> (27 Oct 2002)
# Unstable GNOME2 tree mask (2.1)
# Expect things to break if you unmask this !
# Only tested on x86, other archs *will* break
# I repeat : do NOT even try unless you're using x86
#>=x11-libs/vte-0.9.2
#>=x11-libs/xft-2.0
#>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.1
...etc...

and in order to get gtk 2.0 back, you will have to fix your xft installation, because when you emerge xft2 (required by gtk2.1.*), it deletes your xft1 includes. (or moves them to /root/.Xft).

hth,
sa
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: