Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
"Are we losing users to Gentoo?"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll be repeating other things mentioned so far, but I want to followup on my promise to post my list of things that other distros can and should learn from Gentoo (in no particular order).

1) USE variables. These things are so cool. I don't have a printer at home, so I USE -cups. Boom, nothing wastes space on my computer or pulls in stupid dependencies by compiling in optional printer support. I don't think this would be even close to feasable on a binary distro. Everybody (espescially that Debian mailing list thread) seems to get stuck on CFLAGS, but USE is the real winner.

2) SLOTs. Many know little of their power.

3) Current packages. Gentoo is often the most up to date distro (occasionally to its detriment). Even if some particular package is lagging, many times it's simply a matter of renaming a .ebuild to reflect the new version number. Is it true that Debian folks are still stuck with KDE 2?

4) Choice. You have a choice of three different crons, and as many loggers, and more or everything else, you can choose if you want to run things through xinetd or not, etc. Most other distros (save LFS) don't allow nearly as much flexibility. Want the latest closed source, high performance driver from nVidia? That's your perrogative - if you want to grow a beard and stand up for Free software ideals, use the nv driver that comes with X. Can't find the package you want? You can write your own .ebuild - it's not much more difficult than doing compilation by hand. You can easily feed that back into the loop so everyone can take advantage.

5) Automatic dependancy handling and other advanced coolnesses of portage. Actually, this is probably a lesser deal with newer versions of up2date, apt-get, etc. that seem pretty slick, but portage is the smoothest thing I've tried so far.

6) Minimalist base system. The base system is really just that - almost no packages are installed that are unneeded on a Gentoo system, and anything that gets installed after that is chosen by the user. Virtually no daemons are running by default, and no network ports are listening.

7) Gentoo's RC system is simply the best I've ever seen. Very slick, highly underrated (and not well advertised).

8) Non-layered configuration. With something like Redhat, their's gui config tools, text config tools, web config tools, all of which make it easier to configure the machine. That's fine, but for someone like me, I want the flexibility of editing the files by hand sometimes. With all those config tools lurking (and always changing the way they work with every version), I don't know if I'm going to confuse them later because the config is different from some other file they're keeping somewhere else that I don't know about, or they don't like the way I formatted something or whatever. Maybe they won't see my changes and the next time I use the gui one it'll blow away what I did. Are they going to call my mother if I edit one of those files that says "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE"?

9) The forums! Best in the world. A supportive, frendly to n00b community without all the ideology getting in the way. Reading that thread got me pretty pissed - why would I want to use a Distro with a conversation like this?
Quote:
User 1: Gentoo does such and such really well.
User 2: That's not so great. You can do that better with [Debian thing].
User 1: [Debian thing] is a pain in the butt.
User 2: No it's not. Get with it.
User 1: Debian falls short with [such and such].
User 2: [such and such] is the Right Way, it's a feature.
User 1: But what about [Debian politics getting in the way of foo].
User 2: *plonk* foo users are unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
User 1: Look, Gentoo is attracting people for [reason], it's a fact that it's growing quickly. How about we assume that the people attracted to it aren't all rubes and there is something we can learn from it.
User 2: That's all anecdotal. There's no evidence to suport the idea that we have anything to learn from anybody. We're the good guys remember?
User 1: Gentoo has [feature]
User 2: RPM has [similar feature] and it's a PITA. Gentoo's [feature] must be a PITA.
User 1: Gentoo has [other feature].
User 2: [other feature] is impossible.

I hope I never see the day when Gentoo gets so stuck on itself that it ignores other's good ideas and refuses to steal them, or fails to see its own warts when looking in the mirror.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Slackware way back at Slackware 2.1, and I really liked it. But then at the time I didn't really know about different Linux distributions anyway. I was introduced to it by a friend and loved it, although at first I was aghast at the concept of not using Windows! Now I'm aghast at the concept of not dual-booting at the very least. How things change.

Anyway, Slackware is one I've come back to twice since then, with SuSE, Red Hat and Mandrake all making appearences, but the one thing I always find about binary distros is that I manage to kill them somehow. With an RPM-based system I always muck up the package database. With Slackware, I just mucked it up full stop, although my Slackware 8 system ran for the longest time I've ever had a distro installed (so far).

However, eventually I decided I really needed to update from Slackware 8 with a new distro, and since Slackware's latest release didn't really cut it for me in terms of what was in it, I went looking for something else. FreeBSD's ports system had really impressed me (the same friend who introduced me to Linux is now a FreeBSD fanatic, although he also runs Debian on a SPARC64 box, and is hoping to switch to Gentoo on that one day), and I'd heard about Sorcerer, so I tried that and it was pretty good, but not quite there at the time... anyway, I went over to Mandrake 8.2 for a while, hated it as usual (it always crashes a lot on my computers for some reason), then I discovered Gentoo. Source-based, and Portage looked like a better packaging system than Sorcerer's I thought, even if the metaphors aren't as pretty, so I tried it. And I'm still here!

Best bits of Gentoo are, for me:
- source compilation
- how easy it is to mock up new ebuilds for new versions of stuff to get them installed before there's a proper ebuild in Portage, but without breaking the packaging system (which reminds me, one of those I should submit...)
- automatic dependency resolution
- emerge rsync :)
- the init system, which is literally the best I have ever seen
- ebuilds which include nice patches for things (Xft Mozilla!)
- gentoo-sources kernel tree

Worst thing so far is some things are easier to muck up than they should be, and I'm still not sure if the slots system actually works right...
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: I must be strange Reply with quote

I keep hearing everyone talk about the package systems in distros. I've used a variety of distros myself, and I've never really used the package systems with them. Granted, once in a blue moon I'll an install an RPM because it's the only available format, and sometimes I'll use Slackware's pkgconf to install something because they're the only ones who got that package working for Slack, but generally, I've always compiled from source.

I guess I had kinda assumed this was the norm. Perhaps I don't hang out with Linux users enough and perhaps I hang out in the open source world too much, but am I wrong on this? Do most people rely on say...Redhat to provide a RPM for their software? That just seems silly to me.

Gentoo is the first distro where so far I have relied on the package system, and part of my "evaluation" i guess is to see how it goes. The one thing that I've always been irked by is the lack of an uninstallation system. I've thought about some kind of package wrappers were you could track newly installed files, but I haven't seen anything like that. So far I'm extremely impressed with Portage.
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not only the function to automatically configure a package for you, but it's more... it's maintaining directory structures, it's auto-booting what needs to be auto-booted, and most important: it's ease...

Redhat users can use up2date to download new RPM's, and redhat does the rest - mainting firewall if the package needs a port open, if it needs to be auto-booted, it adds it to the rc.d/inetd config, etc etc...

And Gentoo just does it in the way i want - nothing by default, but options to do it. That's why I like gentoo :P

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solatis wrote:
most important: it's ease...

This is something very important about gentoo. Portage is dead easy, it lets prior windows users like myself jump in with ease; The superb documentation helps a lot as well. I don't know about apt-src, I never tried it myself. Have you ever tried reading that debian monster installation manual? 8O
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install <--- There is just that huge amount of redundant information in there. Frankly that is what put me off and made me try gentoo. I have since tried debian, but gentoo is just cleaner overall by a huge amount, the install docs state the important info and don't tell me what gnu is, or linux, or debian, that info does not belong in the install doc. This may be nitpicking, but it just annoys the hell out of me to have a 12 page install doc that could fit fine in 5 - 6 pages, or even less. Oh, and it doesn't tell me how to install from source.

Again, I cannot stress enough how much easier gentoo is to me than redhat or mandrake when i tried those, I never figured out what was broken when something did not work, or what was installed and what not. I tried gentoo and it worked as advertised, straight out of the box. I had never really used linux/unix before, yet the installation and configuration just made a whole lot more sense than the other linux distros out there. Thus the notion that gentoo is only for 31337 h4><0rz is really wrong, anyone who knows how computers work can install and maintain it just fine, no guru level knowledge required, mainly, as stated above, due to clean and precise documentation and the excellent forum.

So, clean docs and admittedly some of the hype brought me here, what kept me here? The answer: lazyness :D
I can update my whole system just by issuing emerge -u world/emerge -u system before I go to bed. It'll compile all the packages with the use flags I want, and the optimizations I want. I get a distribution tailored to my specific needs and wants. Slougi the cow is in control :wink:

Maybe that is really the key to the success of gentoo. It is not a distribution per se, with a defined direction to take, but rather the pieces which make a distribution, which each user can use to build something to his/her will, right down to the compile options. Essentially a box full of new shiny lego pieces of varying color and size, instead of old dull brown wooden building blocks. :) Building something may take longer with the legos, but the final result is so much more like what you originally wanted 8)
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with SuSE but switched to Gentoo. Not because of optimizations in compilation, or going faster, but because I wanted an easy way to keep all my packages updated to the latest versions, and clear out any packages i don't want or use. However I very much like the optimization part, and well portage is the best...:)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: ramblings of a lunatic.... sorry ;p Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Bad things about Gentoo- it's too easy to hose a system by unmerging a package that other parts of your system depends on. Being able to easily get a list of installed packages that depend on any given packages would be a huge help.

If you use KDE, KPortage has a nice "reverse dependencies" function that allows you to do just that.
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo room in irc is one of the busiest rooms out there and the most helpfull :)
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: ramblings of a lunatic.... sorry ;p Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
Pigeon wrote:

Bad things about Gentoo- it's too easy to hose a system by unmerging a package that other parts of your system depends on. Being able to easily get a list of installed packages that depend on any given packages would be a huge help.

If you use KDE, KPortage has a nice "reverse dependencies" function that allows you to do just that.

is there a non-kde program which does that?

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: ramblings of a lunatic.... sorry ;p Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
is there a non-kde program which does that?

Try qpkg from the gentoolkit package. It's not perfect, but it works for casual queries... I actually posted an optimized version of it here on the forums somewhere... just search for qpkg and my name as poster...
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'qpkg -q foobar' is the command for it in CLI...

Unfortunetally, it doesn't exactly work right.
sterni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Evolution! Reply with quote

I don´t think that there is the "best" linux distribution. The idea is that
there are a lot of solutions for even more different tasks and users with
different opinions. And I know that of course senior slackware sys-admin could
run a better machine then a newbie gentoo user.

Let everybody use the things they want and to break a tabu. If you are
lucky with MS, then use it. The only think I prefer is that
in the world everybody should be able to play which each other. And in the end
we will see if Gentoo, Redhat, Debian, FreeBSD, Hurd, Plan9 or
whatever will survive. I think this is evolution.

And this way to see the world seems not very popular in the
debian community, the most debian guys I met, are against a world
of competition, and fighting against every distro (and of course against
every user of this enemy distros)

But to go back to the original topic gentoo vs. debian. Gentoo has big disadvantages
if you look at things like kickstart or farm-computing, here debian has a lot to offer.
The advantage of gentoo is not to alter the packages, and to use the original
versions (the tarballs which are released from the author).

bye!
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There whole OS was thing is getting old. The last thing we need is a war between Debian and Gentoo. It is true that many of the Gentoo users are past Debian users. So, there must be a reason why all these people are switching to Gentoo. Because Debian is not satisfying their needs. No single ditro can make everyone happy.

Portage was the single reason I tried Gentoo. I was using FreeBSD as a destop for a long enough time to learn a few things. I didn't want to switch to Linux because it meant that alot of the stuff i learned was no good (that ia not as true now, because i have a router machine that runs fbsd). But thanks to the great documentation I was able to intstall Gentoo 1.2. That system has been running since the summer, about 6-7 months. I have upgraded to 1.4. Sure, it took forever, because my computer is slow by today's standarts (p3 550). But thanks to the docs, the forums and the IRC chan everything went smoothly.

I find the lack of elitism in the Gentoo community very refreshing. I am glad we can do our own thing and be happy with what we are doing.

Theads like the one on the Debian mailing list is a waste of time. And the reason i am replying to this is to say, "Thank you" to everyone who has contributed to Gentoo Linux and made it in to the wonderfull thing it is right now.
Pluvius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole-heartedly. The main reason I got a forum account was to see if I (as a nOOb) could help answer some of the more simple questions.

All the questions I had when installing 1.2 and now 1.4rc1 were already covered in the forums.

Thanks for all the support Gentoo forumers.
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember life before Gentoo. Everybody would argue between Slack and Debian, with Debian being arguably the "cooler" choice because of apt-get, while Slack was the "traditional/BSD-like" distro. Well, the Debian zealots are just sulking because Debian is:

1.) No longer "new cool whizbang 1337" distro
2.) No longer is the only distro with advanced (post-RPM) package management

This doesn't mean that Debian is a bad distro, not at all. But Debian used to have the level of hype and advocacy that Gentoo is now enjoying, and they miss it. I use Debian on an old P133 router/print server because installing Gentoo would be torture, and I still want a mature package-management system. But Gentoo for me is better suited on newer systems, and that's where I use it. Also, I tried FreeBSD once for a day or so, and after using Slackware and Gentoo, it didn't seem much different at all :lol:
Becks
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread while searching for other informations about gentoo, but here are my 2 cents:

A friend of me told me about gentoo - just 4 days before i crashed my redhat system (*). I thought: well, give it a try - and as far as i can see at the moment: gentoo works very well.
Personally i don't care about "hypes" and distros which are 1337 - they just have to work properly and let me run the programs i need.

Btw: my friend (computer seller) runs gentoo on all servers he is selling just because the system can be exactly adapted to the hardware he is using. It's easier for him than searching for each rpm-package until he has found what he needs to install the machine.

Alex

(*) How to crash a system: move the root-drive to a bigger hd by creating a partition on the new drive and copying the bootblock and the rest using dd. Such a system runs fine until you try to install a new kernel and run lilo. Lilo will find a mismatch in the partition size and wreck the bootsector while installing...
Al Al Cool J
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons I switched to Gentoo (from Mandrake):
    I had just got ADSL and a new hard drive and wanted to install a more modern distro. However I don't have ready access to a CD burner. Well, Gentoo has a nice little how-to on installing from an existing linux partition.

I wanted a less-commerical distro that would enable me to learn how things actually work. I had already tried Slack, and have had nothing but bad experiences working on Debian systems for various clients.

I'm actually quite adept at dealing with RPM hell, but it would be nice if I didn't *need* to be so adept at it so often. ;-)

The number people raving about Gentoo on Slashdot was becoming impossible to ignore

I have a slower maching (PII-350) and I liked the idea of a performance boost

Anything built on Python and rsync scores major cred points with me

The standard counter-argument against the actual time savings from compiling your software is so insipid and brain-dead, that it was worth going to Gentoo just out of spite.

Best name of any distro

The number one thing about Gentoo that has totally me blown away since switching:
    The forums
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My installing of gentoo had nothing to do with hype, I had never heard of it before stumbling across it doing a google search. I had tried Mandrake and redhat, encountered RPM Hell, and decided they were garbage. Tried Debian several times, always ended up breaking it, plus the software was WAAAY too out of date, and the mailing-lists/irc channel were full of arrogant dicks. I ran OpenBSD on my firewall so I decided to try it on my desktop... bad idea. no accelerated X, for my Geforce2MX and just nothing noteworthy about the experience, it just seemed to be lacking somehow. I tried freebsd shortly after but I wasn't really satisfied it either, I guess i can just chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with the BSDs. thats when I found gentoo and read the description on that page with Larry the Cow, everything sounded interesting, portage seemed like the greatest idea Everrrrrr.. (and I wasn't disappointed) I Downloaded and install 1.2 and never looked back. I've been happily running it since around May, and sure I've borked it, and had to reinstall a couple times, but I've learned a ton and I feel like a relatively competent linux user now. I owe it all to that genius Daniel Robinson. Being such a new Distro I expected to have alot of problems, but i think it was the first Installation of a free OS that i've ever done without _ANY_ Problems. I had a working kde3 desktop w/ sound and everything I needed working within 2 days. I immediately decided that gentoo would be my OS permanently. no more windows. So I Still keep the dual boot around and Only use it for VB Programming which I need to do for school, but other than that, its strictly gentoo... well, once in a while one of my idiot friends reboots it into windows to check their email.. hotmail of all things... i'll never understand how someone can feel so uncomfortable with Linux and KDE3 that they feel the need to boot to windows to use a damn browser... come on now... even if theres a browser window open. I've got Kazaa Running under wine too, and sometimes it gets booted to windows just to download songs. really aggravating. but this is quickly getting OT so I'll just end it there.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have a good laugh looking at the Debian guys, still running in circles after all these years, blindly chanting that their way is the Right Way. The state of the art has moved on - not only are other distributions rapidly encroaching on Debians ease-of-maintainance, they're actually paying attention to things Debian steadfastly ignores, like desktop usability, and dare I say, software that doesn't belong in a museum ( or in some cases, a mauseleum! ).

I used Debian for three years, and while APT was nice, it is the single redeeming feature of the distribution. In my opinion, Debian is redundant, and it's only place is as an easy to deploy distribution for M68K and Intel HURD. ( HURD and Debian are a match made in heaven, in my opinion. With HURD, there's no software to get out of date with. )

IMHO, the biggest problem with Debian is that their community acts so arrogantly that you'd think the rod up their collective ass must have a rod up its ass. I have a friend who runs Debian on one of his Aptivas, and is subscribed to one of their allegedly newbie friendly lists - apparently it gets pretty abusive. I couldn't even take part in the lists - I can only take so much "rtfm" before my gorge rises.

Goodbye and good riddance, Debian, thee OpenBSD of Linux distributions. Enjoy wearing your suspenders and growing your beards out like the Unix Guy from Dilbert. Perhaps something like LibraNet can forcibly impose a clue on you, but I am not hopeful. Flame on! ;-)

-- Curious
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
Goodbye and good riddance, Debian, thee OpenBSD of Linux distributions.

I've only ever used OpenBSD and FreeBSD, but from what i've heard OpenBSD is the OS Of choice for any server. Ive got a friend whose strictly OpenBSD, he worked for an Network Security Firm for a while, so I trust his judgement. he won't tough FreeBSD or NetBSD With a 10-foot pole. and from what I've read OpenBSD Appears to have a terrific Security Track Record.
[/quote]
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HURD and Debian are a match made in heaven, in my opinion. With HURD, there's no software to get out of date with.
.sig material right there. :lol:
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
I've only ever used OpenBSD and FreeBSD, but from what i've heard OpenBSD is the OS Of choice for any server.

Oh, I agree its great for firewalls and servers. I was referring more to the social / political aspect. The limited aquaintance I have had with OpenBSD users has not been positive - glad to hear yours has been more so. ;-)

-- Curious
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Quote:
HURD and Debian are a match made in heaven, in my opinion. With HURD, there's no software to get out of date with.
.sig material right there. :lol:

LOL, I agree! Maybe Debian will have KDE3 by the time the HURD is "ready" and they can skip straight over from Linux kernel 2.2 to HURD instead of going to the then current 4.0 Linux kernels like the other distros and have a decent desktop :wink:

Hehehe, I want to like Debian, but they just ask for the abuse sometimes with their attitude. One of the main reasons I'm using Gentoo is to have a good non-commercially driven distro without the Debian, ahem, "social flavor".
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:

Oh, I agree its great for firewalls and servers. I was referring more to the social / political aspect. The limited aquaintance I have had with OpenBSD users has not been positive - glad to hear yours has been more so. ;-)

-- Curious

Ahh... you're right, they're attitude isn't much different from debian, in fact, my OpenBSD-loving friend, when forced to choose or recommend a linux distro, will say debian. but even he admitted to being somewhat impressed by gentoo (although not enough to bother trying it :) )

I haven't really had any experience with the community since I was lucky enough to have a guru for a friend, but i do remember one particular problem I was having... I managed to get the OBSD Firewall to act as a print server for the network, but the service had to be restarted after every print job or it would just hang. My friend told me that it was a problem with the Printer, not OpenBSD, and that it wouldn't get fixed because the OpenBSD People wont include workarounds for quirky hardware. the printer prints fine with cups under linux (From what ive heard, never tried to set it up though..)
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I have never used Debian- unfortunately, every Debian user I have ever met has been an arrogant prick- their attitude simply blew me away. Additionally the datedness of their packages discouraged me-and altough I can appreciate the bug-fixes and security enhancements that come with a dated distro, these *features* would only be valuable for me if I was running a corporate server in buisness environment, where solid reliability and guaranteed backwards compatibility were of critcial importance.

I switched to Gentoo in may after having bee a loyal SuSE user since 1995. Much of wehat I learned using SuSE helped me when I started to use Gentoo, but in the space of six weeks I learned more using Gentoo than I had learned using SuSE over the previous 7 years.

Having recently become a sys admin at my university I am now using SuSE(8.0) again-at work and at home. I have Gentoo and SuSE(8.1) installed on both of my machines(desktop and laptop). I have heard so much about ease-of-installation issues with Gentoo, but neither of my machines would boot with the SuSE installation CD/DVD, on one machine because it was P4 based, which baffeled my last SuSE version(8.0)-and to resolve this prolem I needed over a week, and the newest version refused to boot on my laptop due to PCMCIA issues.

Then there were the issues with recompiling the kernel- SuSE makes it just about impossible to recompile the kernel- it is not that it is impossible to do so, but that it is a very, very involved process, and SuSE explicitily discourages its users from ever doing so. To get things working under SuSE 8.1 on my laptop I simply compiled ther kernel I needed under Gentoo and usied that as my boot kernel for SuSE, works fine now with the latest acpi patches included in the 2.4.19gentoo-r10 release(finally intel8x0/nforce2 sound support).

The installation process with SuSE went fairly easily once I learned to disbale PCMCIA at boot time for the laptop, and once I had modified the init files for SuSE8.0 on the desktop to read i686 instead of i586. QAnd I must say that the new 8.1 release is smooth, at least under kde, where gnome2 leave much to be desired. Then of course there was the issue that much was installed that I didn't need, and much was not installed that I did need(ie. by defualt no compilation tools are installed-no gcc, make, etc.).

Then I wanted to get multimedia up and running. Suse does not offer xine or totem. Mplayer is installed as part of kde3 but it did not support DVD audio codecs. After much searchig on the internet, due to a lack of suse support forums, I finally found the packages I needed, but only because another kind soul had dedicated much time to making RPMs for these programs combined with the right codecs-but even at this point I could not get it to work perfectly-xine refuse to play my films due to the wrong region code(im in europe, some of my DVDs are american)- I had to deinstall the SuSE mplayer and download the source for lame and generate my own rpm to to get a working version of mplayer up and running(ie. simply compiling and installing lame didn't work-once I generated my own rpm the system was able to find the needed libraries).

At this point I realized exactly how nice Gentoo is-the USE flags makes things sooooo much easier. In all I needed over 8 hours to get my SuSE distro up and running multimedia-and this with the help of a webage dedicated to to getting mutlimedia stuff up and wunning with SuSE- If I had had to download the source of each of these files and manually do every step involved this would have taken me at least twice as long, i.e more time that was involved in the installation and compilation of Gentoo.

Certain things are nicer under SuSE, a lot of configuration stuff is taken care of automatically, including things like setting up the correct permissions for user to mount CDs. The screen savers with xscreensaver for SuSE is the best I have ever seen. But I went to search for help with the SuSE HelpCenter and wanted to generate an index for the local documentation and the machine went off into lala land-I actually had to reboot, and that almost reminds me of MS-SHIT.

Using SuSE now coupled with my Gentoo experience I am now able to do the things with SuSE which I had never managed to do before. Now I simply setup things in Gentoo and copy over the files I need for SuSE(/etc/dhcp.conf, /etc/squid/squid.conf etc.) -but there are limits here- the SuSE configuration stuff like YAST2 and SAX are excellent-but you must use these tools - modifying the config files directly becomes nearly impossbile due to SuSE/YAST2 specific stuff.

Gentoo managed to get me to stop dual booting, and although MSSHIT is still on my harddrive, I dual boot on average once every two months!!!!!!!. Seven years with SuSE did not enable me to break my MS dependancy. Now with WiNE I am able to run everything I ever needed MSSHIT for, and I now have my machines doing things I never imagined possible with MS.

A few negatives regarding Gentoo: I installed Gentoo on my laptop two weeks ago-I spent over 80 hours getting it up and running-I am not sure why it was so difficult, but the particular ebuilds then current were most troublesome(I had no such problems the previous times I installed Gentoo). Gentoo is only stable if you leave it alone, once you have got it up and running-the myriad of things you can play with can compromise stability(now I have two machines- this helps me to try out things n one machine and revert back if something goes wrong-I on my laptop I am using gcc3.2 and glibc 2.2.5- this combination is incredibly stable- whereas gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.3 is a PAIN in the ASS(above and beyond all regarding java) -and Gentoo is not faster than the new SuSE 8.1, even with custom optimizations.

To sum things up : when I boot up SuSE everything works ok and the machine is ready to use for doing work, but there is no degree of enjoyment present-as long as what I need is preconfigure and prepackaged no problems- I step off the beaten trail and loe and behold the feeling creeps up "I can't do this". When I fire up Gentoo I inevitably engage myself in a learning adventure, and this experience reinforces itself continuosly- "I can, I can, I can."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: