Dependency problems (??) - keep getting warning messages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Dependency problems (??) - keep getting warning messages Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm what you would call user-forced-to-be-admin. That means not a very deep insight into Linux or Gentoo. I have a limited experience with Linux but this problem (although I figure it must be something quite trivial) is beyond my present skill.

I installed gentoo using stage 2 and I've been poking in the system for some time already. At some point I probably "fixed" something and now I keep getting a confusing error:

Code:
/var/lib/init.d/%SCRIPTNAME%: line 53: /root: is a directory

The '%SCRIPTNAME%' part varies. Most of the time it is 'depcache' but I notice that during boot process there are other scripts names in place of the %SCRIPTNAME%. I've also seen a different directory than /root mentioned in the error message.

The problem is easily reproducible by running depscan.sh.

Since I do not have almost any bash debugging skills all I could come up with was an strace-log. Didn't make much out of it though. Any willing-to-help ppl can find it at http://white.rulez.cz/stuff/strace-depscan.sh.txt

Any help is appreciated.

W.
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependency problems (??) - keep getting warning messages Reply with quote

whitus wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm what you would call user-forced-to-be-admin.

If think you will be cured. Sooner or later you will recognise that it's more fun to administer your Linux system than to use it. :-)

whitus wrote:
Any willing-to-help ppl can find it at http://white.rulez.cz/stuff/strace-depscan.sh.txt

Any help is appreciated.

W.

I couldn't reach your textfile becuase of
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /stuff/strace-depscan.sh.txt on this server.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try some searching, such as 'depcache directory'. That seems to turn up some results that have helped others.

fex: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=184656&highlight=depcache+directory
whitus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependency problems (??) - keep getting warning messages Reply with quote

MagnusBerg wrote:
If think you will be cured. Sooner or later you will recognise that it's more fun to administer your Linux system than to use it. :-)

Well, that remains to be seen :).

MagnusBerg wrote:
I couldn't reach your textfile becuase of
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /stuff/strace-depscan.sh.txt on this server.

Aw.. silly me. That just had to happen - someone trying to help at exactly the same time I was poking around in apache's configs. Try again if you can. Should be alright now.

And btw thanks.
whitus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I would try some searching, such as 'depcache directory'. That seems to turn up some results that have helped others.

fex: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=184656&highlight=depcache+directory

Thanks but I believe my problem has different roots. My box had been running smoothly for some time and then I obviously did something like canceling an emerge process and it didn't perform a proper rollback (or maybe I was supposed to take some action that I didn't because I didn't RTFM properly - who knows) and now I'm left with my system throwing these messages at me every now and then.

Damn I wish I knew how to get rid of it! :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: