JWPce under wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: JWPce under wine Reply with quote

I'm pretty much stuck here I'm trying to get one of my favorite Windows apps to work under my Gentoo box.

The program is called JWPce, it's essentially a Japanese word processor but none of you care about that :lol: I did `emerge winesetuptk wine` and ran winesetuptk. It basically was able to auto-configure itself as it found all the things it needed.
I then unzipped the files for JWPce from here
into my ~/JWPce/ directory, read the _UNIX.txt file that says the following:
Quote:
1. Obtain a copy of Wine.

2. Adjust the UNIX make file (makefile) for your system. Most
stuff should work on general systems, but there is such a
large amount of variety out there you may have to make some
adjustments. Most anything that should need adjusting should
be at the top of the file.

3. Compile JWPce.

4. Move the required files to run JWPce to the directory
/usr/lib/jwpce.
so I open up the Makefile and start editing. The first variable I see that needs to be changed is WINESOURCEDIR which I change to /usr/lib/wine/bin, then the BUILD variable and the WRC variable which I change respectively to $(WINESOURCEDIR)/winebuild and $(WINESOURCEDIR)/wrc. The rest looks pretty much right to me...so I procede to step 3 which is where my question comes into place: how do I compile this? (NOTE: there are many C++ files in the same dir as this Makefile) I tried doing `make Makefile` or `cpp Makefile` but I guess it's wrong....any suggestions? This is just about the only app I really want to have in linux...so if I can get it to work that would be awesome.

Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww c'mon I can't get any help on this one? :cry: Maybe a moderator will have to move it to the Japanese section or something I have a feeling I won't get much feedback here.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K I was finally able to install it and it was a lot easier than I thought.

here are ALL the steps you have to do:
Code:
# emerge wine
$ wine
$ mkdir ~/JWPce
$ cd JWPce
$ wget -c http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpcemin.zip
$ wget -c http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpcemax.zip
$ unzip jwpcemin.zip && unzip jwpcemax.zip
$ rm jwpcemin.zip && rm jwpcemax.zip
$ wine ~/JWPce/jwpce.exe
and you're done! I was trying to use the UNIX and Linux files provided on the website but I never thought of actually trying to directly use the windows files @_@ stupid me...
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus

Last edited by G2k on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
groovin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ill give this a try... thanks!
xmmsJapanese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: JPWCE Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I was also struggling with the problem you had. I got it working using your solution. However, is there a way to simulate the windows clipboard so you can copy and paste kanji from websites into the dictionary like under windows?

Thanks for your time.
*intel chipset 82852/82855(852gm)
*512 mg of 2700 ram(expan. to 1024)
*i810 intel sound chipset:'ALSA'
*CD-RW: 24x,DVD-ROM: 8x
*15.0 in. active-matrix dsp.
xmmsJapanese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: little update Reply with quote

I just updated the japanese input system to anthy - scim, from of Canna - kinput2. However although Japanese input has become significantly easier. I still can't copy and paste japanese text from a website into the jwpce program. From websites i get text like this \u62db\u5f85\u3059\u308b and when i copy and paste from openoffice I get these ???. However I can easily copy and paste from websites to open office and back. Can anyone copy and paste from websites into jwpce? Thanks for your time.
groovin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing the way websites handle foreign language characters and the way jwpce do are completely different and cannot simply be cut/pasted. on top of that, jwpce is running under wine...
xmmsJapanese
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was guessing the same thing. Although, I was hoping someone else had different/better luck. I have recently discovered, I had not been to the jwpce page in a long time, that the program was orginally written for portable devices. Wow is it awesome!!! It makes my pocket pocket pc stronger then my pocket electronic dictionary. I woudn't go anywhere in Japan without my pocket pc now. Strongly suggested for japanese learners who are looking into getting a portable dictionary, don't look any farther then ur palm, er pocket pc. However three really good tips, I have gathered from various websites.

1) Buy a japanese, not western, portable device if your in the market, u get kanji recognition too. This means any kanji you see while walking the streets u can draw in ur portable device and instantly look it up in the dictionary without knowing the prenounciation!!!!! omg - im currently using a non japanese pocket pc, no japanese fonts are installed, but this program has its own input system so you don't really need japanese fonts installed, but i don't get kanji lookup :( .

2) You can look up the radicals of kanji even in dictionary mode(which i use all the time), after highlighting the word you just searched for hit the insert button-when in dictionary mode, this will place the word in ur document(remember this is actually a word processer, from there highlight the kanji u want to look up then do a radical look up, radical look up is a tool that can be found in either the regular menus, or is the icon with a magnifying glass around a kanji character. Pretty awesome.

3) Try every version of the program listed on the website. I found a few versions worked for my portable pc, however some versions worked better than others. I hope this helps somone.
clide9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: JWPce on Motorola Ming A1200 (Runs on Linux OS) Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Motorola Ming A1200, a phone/PDA that runs on Linux OS. I have been trying to find a solution on how to install JWPce on my phone/PDA, but to no avail. My knowledge of Linux is nigh zero, and I didn't even know Wine existed until I read in the accompanied instructions text file: "1. Obtain a copy of wine." And this is where I am stuck, on the first task. I've searched out some of the different 'distributions' of Linux that have proven to work with JWPce, such as Puppy Linux 2.17 and also based on the author of this post, Gentoo. However, I am at a complete loss as to what to do with the files I've downloaded. The way I normally install programs on my phone/PDA is by copying the downloaded .pkg file to the memory card on my phone/PDA via USB cable and then simply run it by selecting it on the touch screen of my phone/PDA. I am currently running on Windows XP Professional. If anyone could give me even a little information as to how I should go about this, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you for your time.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the PDA is running Windows XP? If it is, you won't need Wine as JWPce is originally written for Windows. All you would need to do is to install the JWPce application onto your PDA, no Wine required. I don't really use PDAs though so I wouldn't be able to guide you through the process all that well.
hope this helps
Pallidula rigida nudula,
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: