gentoo good for running web server?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: gentoo good for running web server? Reply with quote

I have two machines at home: my workstation has gentoo installed; the other one (my web server) still has red hat. The web server has light traffic, although that could change.

I'm relatively new to gentoo, but I've had experiencing running apache/mysql/zope/php.

I was thinking of upgrading the webserver, either with gentoo or rh. The web server machine must have webmin on it for administration

Is it a good idea to run your home web server on gentoo? why or why not? What are the drawbacks to doing so?

Robert Nagle
www.idiotprogrammer.com
fyerk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo good for running web server? Reply with quote

idiotprogrammer wrote:

I was thinking of upgrading the webserver, either with gentoo or rh. The web server machine must have webmin on it for administration

Is it a good idea to run your home web server on gentoo? why or why not? What are the drawbacks to doing so?

There's no reason not to. MySQL, Zope, PHP, and Apache are available in Portage, and there's extensive documentation on setting them up if youhave trouble.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly possible, ofcourse :)

I'd advise to run the stable branch of portage instead of the unstable branch though. Also run a good & strict firewall if you're planning on opening it to the internet. Also try to keep up to date with the GLSA's (Gentoo Linux Security Announcements)

If you want more security, I'd say don't use linux for servers, but use one of the *BSD's.
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayyy. totally posible. so posible im doing it now! :) My web server, running a site with 500+ visitors a day is run on gentoo. my workstation is too. the server also acts as a mail, proxy, firewall, SSH, etc server. everything runs grant. the only reasons it has been taken down since October 29 was power upgrades in the house (friend rewiring my room for more plug sockets) and also a kernel upgrade. other then thats its as stable as the next linux copy, maybe more stable, and runs grand! and its upgradable. easly!
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you hadn't seen it mentioned before, the machine serving forums.gentoo.org runs Gentoo.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the gentoo apache coz setting up extras like php & other modules sooo very easy.
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea. i knew about the forums running gentoo. Also a lot of them Rsync servers seem to run it too! The addon support is great! like php, mysql, SSL, etc. All runs grand. no problems! :) im never going back to a non gentoo powered linux box again, unless forced!
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: perhaps I need to rephrase my question Reply with quote

Well, it's good to hear that a bunch of you are running gentoo as web servers (and maybe next go around I shall try bsd).

Some concerns:

1)that ebuilds of apache modules, zope, etc, will always be behind the cutting edge stuff and that a gentoo installation makes me dependent on gentoo ebuilds until the end of time.

2)when I emerged php for the first time, the screen warned me not to use this ebuild of php for a web server because of security. What the hell was that about?

3)at some point I'm going to start mixing binaries with tar's and ebuilds and that patches from gentoo ebuilds will be buggier and come out more slowly than the group actually producing the software. This may happen when something starts to break or doesn't have an identifiable fix. And what about the things that just aren't available as ebuilds?

On the other hand, maybe i'm just worrying my little head about nothing.

Robert Nagle www.idiotprogrammer.com
idiotprogrammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: oh, and one more thing Reply with quote

something irrelevant.. Does anyone know whether the latest version of php supports apache 2.x ? (and mysql).

Last time I checked, it didn't. Can't seem to find the information anywhere. rj

www.idiotprogrammer.com
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Gentoo webserver Reply with quote

I've been moving a few systems over to Gentoo and haven't had ay problems installing odd modules. The guys at Packet Storm are also looking into switch over too, IIRC. Oddly enough losts of people are installing Apache in a Gentoo kind of way these days. Check out

http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

kashani
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: perhaps I need to rephrase my question Reply with quote

idiotprogrammer wrote:
1)that ebuilds of apache modules, zope, etc, will always be behind the cutting edge stuff and that a gentoo installation makes me dependent on gentoo ebuilds until the end of time.

I consider this a feature rather than a bug. By the time an ebuild is available, a lot of people more familiar with the issues than I am have usually gotten the software into a pretty good state. And I challenge you to find any distribution that gets packaged software available faster than Gentoo. About the only way you could beat it is by doing all the work that the ebuild maintainers are doing yourself. If you want to do that, then maybe you would be better off just installing everything from sources and making all the patches and handling all the version tracking by yourself. And excepting security updates, which are propagated into ebuilds with high priority, I think one generally doesn't want to be running "cutting edge stuff" on publicly accessible servers. But consider the source: I have a bit of a rep as a conservative old lady here.

Quote:
2)when I emerged php for the first time, the screen warned me not to use this ebuild of php for a web server because of security. What the hell was that about?

That was about you emerging php, which is the command-line interpreter, when you really wanted mod_php, which is designed for use with apache.

I'm not entirely sure what 3) was about, but if you have problems mixing binaries, tars and ebuilds, whatever that means, well:
Quote:
Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Well, don't do that.

mgirard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gentoo server running as a firewall / web / mail / dns / dhcp and samba server for a small school. I took the time this summer to set it up carefully and it has been running flawlessly since then. Just a few security updates and one reboot for a new kernel. Thank you gentoo!

-Mg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: