Geforce 6800 - power cables
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Geforce 6800 - power cables Reply with quote

Ok i'm thinking about getting a Geforce 6800 for christmas and i know that it needs an atx power connector aswell (agp version) does it matter if on the same atx cable there is a cdrom or a hard disk or does it need the whole cable to it's self? Will it slow down my devices if on the same atx cable?
Plastic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It really depends. I don't think it would do any harm to put it on the same connector as your cd-rom drive, the only real problems occur when you try to take away from the hard-drive. Mine is working real great on the same cable as the cdrom drive.
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any fans? or perhaps another power cable thats not being in used? ive got a powersupply and its got TONS of cables running off of it, i dont think ill ever need a splitter
Elim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im gonna have to get a new psu as i dont have a spare cable which is not connected to another device. also its only 300 watt i think
PSXPaul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe if you crack open most power supplies, you'll find that all of the 12V wires that come out, are soldered to the same point. I've seen many case modders actually use only one cable for all of the drives, in an effort to clean up the insides of the case.

I actually just capitalized on a black friday deal at CompUSA for a GeForce 6800. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but the box does say at least a 300W power supply is required. Also, it came with a splitter in case you don't have any extra 12V molex connectors free.
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got no problems with my 6800gt.... accually ATI reccommends splitting the power from the hard drive (thats kinda weird) and when i had a radeon9800 i did that and it was fine.
Elim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it turns out i have got a 350 watt psu and i have a cunning plan:
I shall move the hard drives nearer the cdrom and then connect the hard drive & cdrom on one cable and then use a splitter so i have all my hard disks and cdrom all connected to the same cable and the 6600 gt has its own and is happy :D thanks for the input guys. I love the linux community you can't beat it even a problem with power connectors they'll help you out :D
linuxkrn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 450W or better for that type of card. They are real power hogs and you'll get lockups with just a 350w. Keep in mind that your PSU loses some of the power output in the conversion. A good PSU is around 70% efficiency or better. SO that said, assuming you have a 70% efficieny PSU, and a standard system.

.7 * 350 = 245W, then standard system config is about 150-175w under NO load. But when you start up a game, the system can jump to almost 290w. And as we see you're only at 245W max...with a good quality PSU.

Get a 450 - 550 (I use 550w) PSU.

BTW, the 6800 Ultra has two power plugs, standard 4 pin.
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/images/card-molex1.jpg
More Details
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/geforce_6800-20.html
PSXPaul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wattage ratings on power supplies generally don't mean much. Your system draws current from the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails all in different amounts IIRC. The 12V rail is the most important one, since that's what is used the most. When I'm looking for a new power supply, the first thing I look at is the current rating on the 12V rail. More amps on that rail is better.

I've had some very good 300W power supplies, and some very crappy 500W ones. If you want a good PSU, just look at the better name brands, and stay away from the cheap ones like Sparkle.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxkrn wrote:
You need a 450W or better for that type of card. They are real power hogs and you'll get lockups with just a 350w. Keep in mind that your PSU loses some of the power output in the conversion. A good PSU is around 70% efficiency or better. SO that said, assuming you have a 70% efficieny PSU, and a standard system.

.7 * 350 = 245W, then standard system config is about 150-175w under NO load. But when you start up a game, the system can jump to almost 290w. And as we see you're only at 245W max...with a good quality PSU.

Get a 450 - 550 (I use 550w) PSU.

BTW, the 6800 Ultra has two power plugs, standard 4 pin.
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/images/card-molex1.jpg
More Details
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/geforce_6800-20.html

I dissagree with that. All PSU's are rated for output power. Thus if something is sold as 350W you will get 350W out. The efficiency of the PSU will mean it will draw more VA to ensure that the output is 350W.

Thus at full load (that you reall do not want to be running at) and 70% efficiency, the VA drawn from the utility is 500W.

The problem with higher power supplies is you start to loose power in cable impedance
Elim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then what about a recommendation of a GOOD psu with a wattage of about 400-500 for less than £60
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: