Why emerge more than once works
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Why emerge more than once works Reply with quote

I get strange problems emerging and wonder if people know why this happens and how to avoid it (ie what am I doing wrong)

I emerged cdrtools and didn't get cdrecord (fie directory not found errors) Three times I unmerged and emerged and on the third attempt it suddenly worked (nothing chnaged inbetween each attempt).

With KDE I have the same problems, it failed on openmotif the first time, I retried (just typed 'emerge kde') and it failed on MESA, retried it got thorugh X11 and failed on KDE arts. I then did arts by itself and the second time it got through. did 'emerge kde' again and it failed on libs, two attempts on libs by itself failed. About to give up tried 'emerge kde' one last time and this time it got past libs.

The errors on Arts were mcopidl no found.
The errors on libs were in libkdevi_la and latter on something like line 7531 (I think)

What is going on? considering each time I didn't unmerge (accept for cdrtools) so it is just recompiling what it has already downloaded and it takes 2-3 tries to work.

EDIT: Actually even though I did nothing to get MESA and arts working, I did change one thing to get libs working I removed 'cups' from USE in make.conf!

I am using gentoo1.4rc1
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the compiles were failing due to bad hardware? If it's an actual problem in the source code, re-running the exact same compile won't help it. Try using different memory and check the system temperature, as it seems it might be a hardware issue.
joel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah maybe, I doubt it though never had a problem in windows or slackware before only in Gentoo.....

I will try playing around with the memory and see what happens....

Definately not a temp issue, checked that already!

Under Slackware and Windows dual boot there are no problems, I can even compile X windows and KDE 3.0.4 no problems under slackware, so thinking not a hardware problem....
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I don't know what to tell ya then.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibility is parallel make. Check the ebuilds in question, and see if they call "emake" in src_compile. If they do, change it to "make" and see if things improve. Sometimes parallel make fails on faster machines, sometimes on slower, sometimes it's a phase-of-the-moon thing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.

Forums front page wrote:
Installing Gentoo
If you've finished the install guide, look somewhere else. But if you're still working your way through it, or just need some info before you start your install, this is the place.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: