Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
This is probably something that could provide the critical clue...
though really... blah...
Unfortunately I don't want to re-download the whole game...

I can understand that ;)
But in fact it appeared without even having to reinstall the game. My box was on accept_keyword amd64, and I switched to ~amd64. And from this day on, the game stopped to work (it worked perfectly before).
I try to uninstall it, but as you can see it didn't help.

I managed to solve the problem yesterday night by installing it with PlayOnLinux on a wine 1.5.10. But that doesn't explain why it isn't working on my other environment...

eccerr0r wrote:
I just had my dual boot box patch itself just fine. Still think it's something wrong with my "windows environment"...

I'm dual boot to, but with OSX on the other partition ;)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I sort of maintain four installs of WoW on my machines -

1. A Core2 Quad with RadeonHD 5770 running 32-bit Linux only - this machine I normally play on. Does not patch correctly.
2. A Core-i7 using the HD3000 cloned from this install, and not unexpectedly it doesn't work either.
3. A Core2 duo with i965G CGC running 64-bit Linux only. This machine patches just fine.
4. A Core-i5 laptop using HD4000, mostly cloned from the above, running a dual boot 64-bit Linux. Other OS is Windows 7 Home. This machine also patches fine in Linux.

One could say it's a 32-bit Linux problem but I don't know... I tried partially wiping my Windows environment from my 32-bit installs but still did not seem to fix the problem (there are some settings I didn't want to wipe...).
foux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
One could say it's a 32-bit Linux problem but I don't know... I tried partially wiping my Windows environment from my 32-bit installs but still did not seem to fix the problem (there are some settings I didn't want to wipe...).

I'm not sure about that : the Wine in which WoW wasn't working was a 64 bit wine, while PlayOnLinux installed a 32 bit one, which is working perfectly fine. But who knows, wine works in mysterious ways ;)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the 64-bit Linux machines not only patch correctly, can run both 32- and 64-bit WoW.
I will have to someday switch my 32-bit install to 64-bit as I keep on running out of RAM in WoW. It looks like the behavior of Linux when running out of address space for Wine is very weird... I definitely have enough RAM (4GB) and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff in RAM that could have been swapped out with no issues, but it ran out of physical addresses for the WoW process - and the machine starts thrashing badly, X11 virtually freezes - I can't click buttons anymore, even on the Gnome desktop. I don't quite understand this behavior yet.

Fortunately I could (easily) ssh into the machine and kill just WoW. The ssh session wasn't even that slow. Weird.

I'll have to look at this again but I've seen WoW slow down a lot when the core size is around 2.5GB or more. The hard drive constantly thrashes around this utilization. With the 1G/3G split in Wine, that's about it, process size can't grow much larger... but I still have another 512MB to 1GB of RAM free...

I was a bit disheartened when my eeePC stopped working in WoW. I couldn't really play on it anyway (it's way too slow for just about everything except auction house) but it was kind of funny having a small machine at least load up WoW.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch 5.2: The Thunder King came out today.

I have to say... it looks like Blizzard got their act together, or somehow I inadvertently fixed the patcher on my 32-bit Gentoo install. The patcher came up when I ran the Wow.exe binary and started to download Thunder King just fine. We'll see later on if this really worked though, maybe later on it will choke and die.

[EDIT]

Looks like it runs just fine, seems slightly slower though, but it patched and runs OK.
slowdive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Update problems? Try a new wine bottle Reply with quote

I have two machines running wow, both amd64, one of which was unable to update. I tended to scp the contents of the wow folder from the good machine to the bad whenever there was a big patch. For large patches, this made sense, since it was faster than redownloading the content from my relatively slow WAN link. For small patches, it was silly.

When I tried updating from the bad machine, I would get a variety of errors, including the dreaded
Quote:
ERROR: Blizzard Updater is unable to write to this location because it is a system directory.

I stumbled on http://aspensmonster.com/2012/10/10/upgrading-from-wow-4-3-to-mists-of-pandaria-5-0-5-on-gnulinux-debian-testing/, which has a bunch of nice steps, including talking about the updater Agent. Turns out there is a Battlenet directory under Application Data that controls some of the updating. I tried copying the good machine's battlenet folder to the bad machine, but that didn't help.

The final bit that helped was simply making a new wine setup (bottle / prefix), and mv'ing my existing wow into the new bottle. The bad machine's .wine infrastructure was very old, and had many things in different places (Application Data was in another spot, for instance). My hunch is that enough things were wrong that some aspect of the agent code was failing. Using a new bottle got around this problem.

FWIW, I eventually plan to have a separate bottle for every game I play. This will allow some independence among the installs and settings (SC2 needs different Direct3D registry keys than other games, for example). I already have bash scripts to start certain games, so having a separate prefix/bottle isn't a big deal. Note that you'll need to rerun any winetricks or other registry settings for every bottle, since each bottle is like its own [/u]mini-windows environment.

For more info on wine bottles, check out http://ziemecki.net/content/wine-using-bottles or http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-faf9617c53607e583f6e6ff70a4ac9522d490faf
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next would be performance tips and tricks?

I am sad. Though I knew that Linux was slower than Windows in WoW this is somewhat problematic. In 5-man instances my Core2Quad and RadeonHD 5770 are acceptable. However on Galleon and the large trash packs in Heart of Fear, I sometimes drop down to 1 or more seconds PER FRAME. This is unplayable. I do have recount running, which I have yet to try to see if it's the culprit.

Now I only have one Windows machine that's capable of running WoW, and it's an Core-i5 laptop with built in graphics... I just tried running it in Heart of Fear (LFR) with Windows and D3D11 mode (since that's native.)

I stayed about 12FPS the whole time!!! This is somewhat an unfair comparison as Recount was not installed Since this is dual boot, next I'll see how this same binary works in Linux/OpenGL.

In any case, anyone running HoF trash packs (LFR) and Galleon with no problems? I am running OpenGL mode for Linux as overall it's faster than D3D9.

Addition - hmm ... The Win7 machine got down to 8FPS on some trash packs and down to 6FPS on Garalon. It looks like Recount may be the culprit after all. Recount should be CPU dependent, but surprising how bad it is...? Even on a Core2 Quad it's bad?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is messed up:

My Core-i7 2700K Intel HD Graphics 3000 seems as fast as or faster than my Core2 Quad RadeonHD 5770 in D3D9 mode. Very odd behavior. Anyone notice this? What kind of FPS are you all seeing with graphics accelerators versus onchip graphics? In OpenGL mode, the RadeonHD seems a bit more usable. Both running 64-bit now.

Anyone have some benchmark numbers on fighting Salyis's Warband (AKA Galleon "Loot and Pillage")? How bad does the frame rate go with 40 persons in the raid?
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have i5 2500, AMD 7850, fglrx 13.4
1680x1050 resolution, "Good" Settings, OpenGL
Wine 1.5.31

Max about 80-90 fps, min in dungeons with Mad AoE huge pulls, about 30-40 fps. Cities can get down to about 25fps.

I tried Radeon drivers but I get like 1 fps on the main menu let alone in game.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... the OSS drivers shouldn't be *that* slow but yeah I'd expect it to be slower. I don't recall it being that slow on my R200 though it's too deficient to play.

I'm sure the 7850 should be significantly faster than the 5770 but the 5770 should be faster than onchip Intel HD 3000 graphics... I wonder what's wrong if anything, or did Intel spend the effort on the driver?
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is because 7850 use radeonsi driver which doesnt work well yet, and 8xxx series is coming soon too. Just really slow support for newer cards. In anycase I had to return one of my 7850's as it was overheating badly, got an nvidia 650Ti 2gb card in return and some dollars in the bank.
Getting 100fps no matter what I do, ultra settings, any zone, any number of players... 100fps.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the crappy nVidia cards are more consistent in FPS. Is D3D9 as fast as OpenGL?
For Catalyst, D3D9 is clearly slower. For Intel OSS, they're fairly similar though OpenGL still has a slight edge...
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using D3D9, and the exact same settings as the OpenGL profile (Ultra OpenGL uses Low for alot of settings) I was getting around 60-90fps.

Changing the settings to "Good" which enables alot of the non OpenGL settings such as shadows and stuff the frame rate went down to ~30-60fps.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, on my i945G machine (I don't actually play on this, it's way too slow) WoW works with wine 1.4.1 but breaks in wine 1.6... Wine regression here?

I think I may have found a very important observation: If your wine "home" (profile) directory is in c:\windows versus say C:\Documents and Settings, it seems that Agent.exe will fail when updating WoW. When I moved my windows profile directory away from C:\Windows it seems to work better...

There are still other machines that still won't update if like this... hmm...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A semi-bump and update.

MoP is still working OK with Siege of Orgrimmar. I have lost use of my RadeonHD 5770 for the time being so I don't know how well Catalyst is still working, however, my Intel HD-Graphics 3000 and 4000 seem to work OK under Wine 1.6 (usually using d3d9 mode!)

LFR 25 SoO is playable, I haven't seen any really bad hiccups yet but YMMV, settings are not all the way up :D The trash packs aren't too bad in SoO IMHO, but I have not checked what HoF is like nowadays. My iLvl is high enough not to have to check out HoF unfortunately with all the Timeless stuff floating around. No complaints in Throne of Thunder either.

Still using Wine 1.4.1 on my 945GM and it at least lets you login (too slow to play...)

I also noted that if you suspend/resume the machine, graphics performance is worse on subsequent invocations of WoW. I'm not exactly sure what's going on here but the speed is noticeably slower on Intel graphics after a resume...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some stealth patch broke 64-bit WoW two nights ago. The current workaround is to use the 32-bit binary.

EDIT:

As of today it's still broken...

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35582

Some people claim it's working but it stilll seemed broken to me...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11915701490

Workaround I've been doing is removing (renaming) WoW-64.exe, it will then run the 32-bit client.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've once again started using my RadeonHD 5770, and it's now on my i7 as Intel graphics started to draw all *other* player characters all black with the recent Xorg/MESA update, but your own character is drawn fine (odd!). Well, I wanted dual head working once more and the onboard graphics only had one output - so in goes the 5770.

Idle power dissipation is back up to 80W which is better than other machines that had this graphics card installed, but of course power is now worse than without (it was idling around 45W w/o the graphics adapter - using onchip only). Still have to use the 32-bit client and restart it once in a while before it goes 32-bit OOM and crashes.

In that winehq link it looks like it was fixed in Wine-1.7.17 ... Will have to try it...

EDIT: Confirmed - app-emulation/wine-1.7.19-r1 can run 64-bit WoW once more!
Edit 2: Sort of unconfirmed: I still get random crashes on the 64-bit client that seems to be stable on 32-bit. But they are like "once every few hours" crashes which are annoying and hard to debug... Ugh...

WARNING:
Edit 3: Flying or otherwise entering into Stormwind near the Trade/Mage district on my Radeon seems to cause a repeatable crash, and locks your character until you move it with a Windows client :(
This is a fairly big problem... On my IntelHD graphics, it seems to work OK. Not sure what's going on here.
Devin Kusey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:o I Don't Understand
BuBuaBu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I've once again started using my RadeonHD 5770, and it's now on my i7 as Intel graphics started to draw all *other* player characters all black with the recent Xorg/MESA update, but your own character is drawn fine (odd!). Well, I wanted dual head working once more and the onboard graphics only had one output - so in goes the 5770.

I fixed the problem of "black player" by emerging "media-libs/libtxc_dxtn".
Note that for 32bits version enabling the x86_32 abi might be necessary (echo "media-libs/libtxc_dxtn abi_x86_32" >> /etc/portage/package.use )

Before emerging the libtxc_dxtn i've got this issue:
err:winediag:wined3d_texture_init The application tried to create a DXTn texture, but the driver does not support them.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, patch 6.0.2 is upon us and once again problems. The new Launcher downloaded and ran. The "buttons" behave poorly in Wine. I can't seem to update either. It gives me an error - BLZBNTAGT00000846 - and it "wants administrator access."

Hell No. And No it doesn't need.

Despite this, it still seems to be doing something in the background that I don't know - despite it failed it still launched *something* in the background, and it's downloading something. pfSense is indicating a significant download is going on along with background processes...

Ugh. May have to use my win7 box to d/l. Anyone know what it needs admin access for?

[EDIT]

After killing all the processes (I needed to bump the bandwidth, which it sort of is borked too as if you click on the config buttons it doesn't always open) it seems to be able to open the graphical download screen and graphically indicate how much left there is to download. It then let me login to the game which appears to work fine. However the "Update" button shows up once more and clicking it, once again gives BLZBNTAGT00000846.

[EDIT]

Was able to get into the game fine, and looks like most things work allright, about the same speed as before. No crashes yet, that had been a longstanding problem in the client (64-bit). The install size is now about 28.9GiB (30.2 GB) which means my netbook can no longer support the disk image as its internal SSD is only 32GB... Need to get some huge SDHC cards to take its place, but its CPU/GPU is too slow to be worthwhile anyway...

[EDIT]

The blacked out characters (other than your own character) is still showing up on my Intel graphics machine (D3D9 mode) despite having media-libs/libtxc_dxtn-1.0.1-r1 installed. My ATI Radeon machine works just fine (also D3D9).
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to get this to work on my laptop, which under windows and other Linux distro's works fine, it's just Gentoo that is giving me poor FPS, and by poor I mean 3fps MAX.

I have read through a few pages of this thread and a few other places, and have tried everything they have suggested, but still nothing works.

When I look in the graphics settings for WoW it tells me that most if not all of the settings have been disabled due to a graphics issue, that and it say I need a card that is Shader Model 3 Capable, which as I said works fine under Windows and other Linux distro's, the card (well gpu is an Intel HD4000).

Anyone have that on board graphics and Gentoo, and have it working fine?

This is the only thing keeping me from putting the Laptop as Linux and dumping Windows, all the other tests and apps I use have passed fine.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my HD4000 (i5-3317) occasionally, it works OK, getting anywhere from 6 to 40+FPS which is playable. I think my HD3000 (i7-2700k) is a bit faster however, and both trumped by my RadeonHD 5570.

It seems to work best using D3D9 mode. I haven't tested opengl in a while. With D3D9 I can enable shadows at "fair" so if you can't enable this, likely your graphics is set up incorrectly.

As the HD4000 is a onchip GPU, which flavor is it - there are several versions? Which version of intel-drivers, Wine, and MESA are you using?
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPU is a Core i7-3632qm - which is a gen3 so I think the HD4000 is i915

as to the drivers mesa and everything else, they should be the latest of each as I am using ~amd64
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be using the "intel" driver not "i915" though I think they map to each other anyway.

3FPS worst or 3FPS average? And where?

Do other 3D apps work at speed, say, in the x11-misc/rss-glx or x11-misc/xscreensaver 3D screensavers?

Glxinfo|grep render? Glxgears numbers?
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the driver i have it in the make.conf as

VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915"

As some things require the intel flag while others require i915

As to the 3 FPS - thats it, 3fps, no matter what I try, as to other things working, I can play HD content, and the screen saver seems to fly about when doing 3D stuff.

I don't have the other programs you listed compiled, getting late here, do you mind if I get that info to you tomorrow?

Edit: I used to have a 20-intel.conf file in xorg.conf.d, but removed it as people said that X would find and sort all the settings for me, after looking on the Gentoo intel wiki, seems there is a little issue with i915 and X, so I may need to re add it :/
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: