View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warped_Dragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Not sure why I'm posting this, just some kind of urge to rant. Though I'm not sure about what. Maybe this isn't a rant. You decide....

Got an email with a powerpoint attachment earlier, some kind of photographs that are apparently amazing. I wouldn't know, I have nothing that will open a pps file.

My reply to said email:

Quote:

Can't open that file. Read my signature, you insensitive clod! Said in a
kind and loving manner, and whatnot....

- Dallen Wilson

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

The sender happened to be my mother (explaining my last sentance, no need to go getting her grouchy at me...), who loves windows xp, microsoft office, and is fairly computer literate. Not compared to myself, of course ;) But to the average joe-user, not too ignorant. Her reply:

Quote:

Ooohhhhhhh. Yeah. Uh...sorry about that, you MORON. Most people would take
care to ensure that they had the proper software to read such files as they
are often rewarding and full of interesting information that one can use
but...not all of us are such forward thinking individuals and thusly, cannot
be helped.
Honestly...some peoples kids.

Too bad so sad, your loss.

You know, just a thought here (said with a little teeeeeeny tiny bit of
sarcasm), you COULD, could mind you, load your computer with the Microsoft
Office that I have, but then...it's just a thought. With a little friendlier
attitude on your part, I MIGHT even bother to dig it out for you (smile)

Wow. :roll: You just can't argue with that. Which didn't stop me from trying....

Quote:

I could ALSO install any of about a dozen open source applications that can read, modify, and write files in the powerpoint format. Would take about one, -maybe- two commands at a terminal. No, definitely two. And it would cost me nothing, by the way. No exorbitant licensing fee for something that, in a sane world, would be free. But I don't, because it would be a waste of space. I never use presentations, and being able to read email attachments on the odd occasion people send them isn't a good enough reason to justify a waste of my disk space. Keep your nasty old microsoft office. :)

- Dallen Wilson

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

So, final total: In my favor, or did I lose this round? And how do all of you deal with people like this?
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
So, final total: In my favor, or did I lose this round? And how do all of you deal with people like this?

You should have told her that if she wanted any contact with you, she could damned well learn to use polite language. Furthermore, you did not ask her to send you a PowerPoint file, which makes her attachment unsolicited and therefore fucking RUDE. Blood ties do not excuse abusive language. Stop accepting email from her, and forward every message she sends to the abuse@ account of her ISP.

Quite frankly, your mother is a worthless bitch.

Last edited by Stormy Eyes on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sotol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I've never got into it with my mother. that's for sure. Although
I have told various family members and my girlfriend to stop
sending me forwards. Forwards make my blood boil.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a pragmatic standpoint, i'd just say bite the bullet and emerge openoffice-bin.

From an idealistic standpoint, however, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard for her to click "File -- > Save a Copy As... ---> Rich Text Format (RTF) --> Save"
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a non loving and cynical kind of way...get over it.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:

:lol:
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

paranode wrote:
Stormy Eyes wrote:

:lol:

I wouldn't take that shit from a stranger, let alone a relative.
SewerBeing
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Stormy Eyes here your mother needs to go take a pill and chill out, unless you asked or those "amazing picture" she has no right to yell at you. But in a realistic way just get over it.
Registered Linux User #365302
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that see's that HE initiated the yelling by calling his mother an 'insensative clod'?
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyde wrote:
Am I the only one that see's that HE initiated the yelling by calling his mother an 'insensative clod'?

Considering that she sent an unsolicited attachment, she's lucky to have gotten a reply at all. I would have emailed an 8MB core dump as a reply.
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
I have nothing that will open a pps file.

Well that's good, because a Powerpoint file has .ppt as its extension.

Knucklehead! :lol:

Your mother is so rude!
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Ruzbeh wrote:
Warped_Dragon wrote:
I have nothing that will open a pps file.

Well that's good, because a Powerpoint file has .ppt as its extension.

Knucklehead! :lol:

Your mother is so rude!

Actually, a .pps is a power point show extension. It is openable without powerpoint IIRC. It doesn't let you make changes to it. A .ppt will.

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=PPS

Who is the knucklehead?
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Slyde wrote:

Considering that she sent an unsolicited attachment, she's lucky to have gotten a reply at all. I would have emailed an 8MB core dump as a reply.

Starting grief with your own mother over an email is ridiculous in any respect. Both need to be shot.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyde wrote:
Starting grief with your own mother over an email is ridiculous in any respect. Both need to be shot.

Who cares if it's his mother or not? Netiquette is netiquette, and you're not supposed to send unsolicited attachments. What would you say if his mother signed him up for some mailing lists and got him spammed? Would he be justified in chewing her out then?
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel like you won, then great. Just remember, you can't truly win an argument with your parents. In then end, nobody wins those.

George W. Bush
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's the chewing out your mom when she's been bad:
Quote:
Bad momma, bad momma (a slap on the hand), now go and stand in the corner, facing the wall, and be ashamed. No dinner for you!

And then there's the disrespectful dissing of ones mom.
Quote:
Piss off, you uebercow! Go yonk a doidle!

I would say, if your mom does something that pisses you off, talk to her in a calm manner and explain your reasons. Written words often get misinterpreted, because its difficult to get sarcasm or cheeky intent across with pure text. And besides, when you were a kid, did you prefer it if your parents explained to you why something was wrong, or if they simply scream the crap out of you until you got the picture?

In the end, its your mom. Its your call. :wink:
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Slyde wrote:

I burst out laughing when i read this. I just may need to try this tactic if im ever in this situation
Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a couple other people pointed out:

You NEVER win against your mother!

Mothers have long memories and are the masters of inducing guilt. They also have all of your baby pictures when you toddled naked around the house and will be more than happy to show them to your girlfriend.
Aleksejs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

Slyde wrote:
Actually, a .pps is a power point show extension. It is openable without powerpoint IIRC. It doesn't let you make changes to it. A .ppt will.

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=PPS

Who is the knucklehead?
Actually there is no difference between *.pps and *.ppt files. The only difference is that by default in Windows *.ppt opens in "edit" mode but *.pps in "slide show" mode. You can try it yourself if you get to some windows box some time.
Returning to the point of this discussion. IMHO: "You lost this round the very moment you started it" (-;
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lose or win?

You're using Linux. You win by default.

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Warped_Dragon wrote:

You should have told her that if she wanted any contact with you, she could damned well learn to use polite language. Furthermore, you did not ask her to send you a PowerPoint file, which makes her attachment unsolicited and therefore fucking RUDE. Blood ties do not excuse abusive language. Stop accepting email from her, and forward every message she sends to the abuse@ account of her ISP.

Agreed I had to do this with my mom for totally differnet reasons

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Some people..... *sigh* Reply with quote

Mum wrote:
Honestly...some peoples kids.
:D She won!
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon: You should just have answered with an empty mail in the first place, only the sig. Even if she's seen it before, as a reminder.

Everyone else: Actually, I think he's mother is cool. My mom could say things like that in a mail to, but I would never interpret it as rude or even as yelling. I certainly don't think Warped_Dragon would either. It's just that type of relationship, I guess. And as Slyde said, he initiated it.

Sending ms office attachments is simply wrong of course, I won't argue with anyone there.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
Warped_Dragon: You should just have answered with an empty mail in the first place, only the sig. Even if she's seen it before, as a reminder.

Everyone else: Actually, I think he's mother is cool. My mom could say things like that in a mail to, but I would never interpret it as rude or even as yelling. I certainly don't think Warped_Dragon would either. It's just that type of relationship, I guess. And as Slyde said, he initiated it.

Sending ms office attachments is simply wrong of course, I won't argue with anyone there.

ohh you just opened a bag of shit I can smell it coming now 8O

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer wrote:
Cuber wrote:

ohh you just opened a bag of shit I can smell it coming now 8O
Are you sure that's not-oh nevermind....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: