Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which scheduler?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which IO scheduler do you use?
No-op
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deadline
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
CFQ
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
else (state)
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Message
c0balt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 441
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Which scheduler? Reply with quote

Im searching "the best" (for desktop use) IO scheduler available, thus the poll, please state which, and why you use it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, the best schedulers are CFQv2 for I/O and staircase for CPU (both from Con Kolivas's patchset). They definitely make for a much more responsive desktop.
_________________
~~ Peter: Programmer, Mathematician, STEM & Free Software Advocate, Enlightened Agent, Transhumanist, Fedora contributor
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF


Last edited by codergeek42 on Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TJNII
l33t
l33t


Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 637
Location: for(;;);

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Love-2.6.4 and I'm happy with it. Pretty sure it uses Nick's scheduler (Or at least that's what I've picked up on in the chatroom)
_________________
Maintaining documentation on upgrades is apparently not within the power of Gentoo
Beware when you emerge -u world!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
c0balt
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 441
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Imho, the best schedulers are CFQv2 for I/O and staircase for CPU (both from Con Kolivas's patchset). They definitely make for a much more responsive desktop.


elevator=cfq in the kernel parameters makes sure CFQ is used right?
I guess -ck patches use staircase by default?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0balt wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:
Imho, the best schedulers are CFQv2 for I/O and staircase for CPU (both from Con Kolivas's patchset). They definitely make for a much more responsive desktop.


elevator=cfq in the kernel parameters makes sure CFQ is used right?
I guess -ck patches use staircase by default?
Yes, you pass that to the kernel to make it use CFQ. Or, -nitro has a patch that makes CFQ used by default (w/o passing that to the kernel as command-line).
_________________
~~ Peter: Programmer, Mathematician, STEM & Free Software Advocate, Enlightened Agent, Transhumanist, Fedora contributor
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrApples
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Dec 2002
Posts: 511

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thread is only addressing IO schedulers, no cpu schedulers
_________________
http://www.whatsinyourbox.org -- Technology discussion, news, and more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steel300
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Jul 2003
Posts: 1155

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJNII wrote:
I've been running Love-2.6.4 and I'm happy with it. Pretty sure it uses Nick's scheduler (Or at least that's what I've picked up on in the chatroom)


Nick's scheduler is a cpu scheduler. Cfq, as, noop, and deadline are the I/O schedulers.

I voted for AS, theoretically it is more correct than cfq. That and it already has I/O niceness built in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkeywrench
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Posts: 205
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is as good of a place as any to ask about this..

What's an I/O scheduler? From the name, I assume it's the part of the kernel that determines in what order data is written/read from the hard drive?

Same for CPU scheduler. Does it just determine what is executed when?

What are the general differences in the schedulers, and what's the scheduler in the vanilla kernel? :oops:
_________________
Folding@home -Join the Linux team (163)!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jake
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 1132

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using AS because under heavy loads CFQ always caused MP3s to skip on my Athlon XP / VIA KT 333 system. I haven't tried it with my Athlon64 / nForce3 250.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 1212
Location: Work

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticipatory, because it's the default in the last few mm-sources/love-sources and I haven't gotten around to playing with alternatives yet. That may keep me busy tonight.
Would have been nice to have that as an option in the poll ;-)

Monkeywrench wrote:
What's an I/O scheduler? From the name, I assume it's the part of the kernel that determines in what order data is written/read from the hard drive?


Approximately, yes. Not just the hdd though - anywhere data's being read from qualifies.
They handle it differently - for example, the anticipatory one pauses when reading from a hard disk to see if there's another read near to where the head is, in which case it does that one first. This is frequently more efficient than just doing FIFO.
There's an interesting article on kerneltrap at the moment about some completely modular schedule patch - theoretically it'd let you use a different scheduler for each device. Maybe it'll make an appearance for kernel 2.7 (or even 3 :wink: )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 231
Location: STL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm anticipatory?? poll option? helloooooo

:wink:



the reason i came to this thread was to see how anticipatory compares to CFQ as far as gentoo user adoption... oh well
_________________
http://wustlog.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NiklasH
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Aug 2002
Posts: 211
Location: On top of something

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
I've been using AS because under heavy loads CFQ always caused MP3s to skip on my Athlon XP / VIA KT 333 system. I haven't tried it with my Athlon64 / nForce3 250.


Ditto. AS is the one that has the best all-round performance, in my experience.
Poll option?
_________________
Banana Republic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Oct 2002
Posts: 370
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm using whatever's the default in 2.6.9-mm1, and I don't actually know what that is. Going back to anticipatory (which I used for a while) might be fun, though...
_________________
<laurentius> gentoo linux?
<ari> Yesh.
<laurentius> they look horny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which scheduler is ck-sources 2.6.9-ck1 using?
_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NiklasH
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Aug 2002
Posts: 211
Location: On top of something

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrench wrote:
I guess this is as good of a place as any to ask about this..

What's an I/O scheduler? From the name, I assume it's the part of the kernel that determines in what order data is written/read from the hard drive?

Same for CPU scheduler. Does it just determine what is executed when?

What are the general differences in the schedulers, and what's the scheduler in the vanilla kernel? :oops:


Here is a great article about the new schedulers:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6931
_________________
Banana Republic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum