Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What would you pick in a prospective employee?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jevidl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: What would you pick in a prospective employee? Reply with quote

This one is for all the people important enough at the place they work to actually be able to answer the question in the subject line :)

Which is better:

Double bachelors with certifications

OR

A Masters Degree in computer sci.

Given this is a freakin' linux forum I would like to think that it should be assumed for IT jobs, but hey, if i don't qualify I know someone will feel the need to exercise their <sarcasm> razor wit </scarasm> and point out I didn't say what industry! :roll:
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the double-bachelors is in. If it's in, say, literature and music appreciation, well...
Registered Linux User #263260
nero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience I know you guys weed out resumes that don't list at least a bachelors degree. I *REALLY* wish you people wouldn't do that. There are thousands of dimentions to consider when looking for a new hire. The absolute best thing to have is specific work experience. This could even be thier first job!

Education is not all that it is craked up to be. The highest level of education that I have is a GED. However, I know many different people in the CS and EE field that say that I am far beyond them. Most of that comes from the fact that I have work experience as an embedded system programmer, and they have none at all.

...but with all that in mind (and only the degree to go on), I would certainly go with the guy with the masters. He has had to prove himself in an arena outside of the norm, and has had to work very closely with a Ph.D. to get to where he is.
firedemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree. Im 18 and im studying networking. I have only had a couple of jobs before, but none to do with my field of study. So it's really hard to find a job when the employers are seeking over qualified canidates with bachelors degree and excessive experience in the field. How can I obtain experience if no one hires me and gives me a chance?

Of course though, I do have extensive experience working with computers and networking at my home, but that doesn't count for squat.
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it depends, If the job require real world experience go with the one with certificates, if it requires more theoretical/r&d go with the masters guy
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the easiest question I could imagine:

GO for the girl !!!!

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
jevidl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oye, I may have lied a bit here. My apologies.

I realized that it is an associates degree opportunity, that would allow me to hold a bachelors in religious studies and an associates in Computer Systems Security. My currect bachelors work should allow me to only need 49 credits to complete the associates. With that in mind...

What would be better? A Masters in comp-sci or the associates? I currently work as a Helpdesk Administrator for a smaller institution, so I am gaining work experience through that. With the small size I am also able work with virtually every aspect of our computing environement from servers, to firewall management, to Active Directory (LDAP) and network management and routing.

Again, sorry for the somewhat stupid error in my first post... the death of a firewall makes for a long week at work. :oops:

[edit]

I realized I should probably detail a bit more what I am interested. I am really enjoying working with linux, especially with the capabilities of iptables and the general flexibility of the system as a whole. I find administering the networking equipment to be a highlight of my job, and I enjoy the troubleshooting and analysis of making things play together nicely on the network as well as figuring out what went wrong when network components die. Those have been nice parts of my job. I find various topics of network security to be interseting, as well as developing ideas for the best way to share information efficiently with the people who need it and not with those who don't. If this is rambling a bit is probably because I am tired, but hopefully you get an idea of what I am finding to be interesting highlights in the everyday drudgery of my job. I honestly am still not entirely sure what direction I want to take, more that I definately want to be in a networked IT environment.
[/edit]

Last edited by jevidl on Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
jevidl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodg wrote:
GO for the girl !!!!

Alas, it looks like I am not going to be hired by Frodg any time soon :wink:
Valhlalla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in a university for a long time now, and I will add my opinion to the mix, Degrees mean nothing! There are plenty of smart, competent people with degrees, but they give degrees to just as many stupid, useless people.
jevidl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhlalla wrote:
I have worked in a university for a long time now, and I will add my opinion to the mix, Degrees mean nothing! There are plenty of smart, competent people with degrees, but they give degrees to just as many stupid, useless people.

But is that what the rest of the world/prospective employers are going to think? I realize that it will vary, but if I am going to do the work I want maximum payoff for the time I will have invested.
Valhlalla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can only say who I would hire and a university degree(masters or double or whatever) is fine, but if you interviewd badly I would count it for 0. If you seemed competent in an interview I would prefer the degree that had the most coursework/research relevent to the job you were applying for. I recomend doing the degree(s) you are most interested in that way you will be more likely to get a job that you like.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often found that the people who claim degrees are meaningless are the people who graduated from 3rd rate universities. If someone wants to refute that, go right ahead....but if you go to a real, solid engineering program, it's worth a hell of a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: