Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Some people..... *sigh*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 944
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe. Thank goodness my nose doesn't work the way it should, then.
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 105
Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
SlicerDicer wrote:
Cuber wrote:
Warped_Dragon: You should just have answered with an empty mail in the first place, only the sig. Even if she's seen it before, as a reminder.

Everyone else: Actually, I think he's mother is cool. My mom could say things like that in a mail to, but I would never interpret it as rude or even as yelling. I certainly don't think Warped_Dragon would either. It's just that type of relationship, I guess. And as Slyde said, he initiated it.

Sending ms office attachments is simply wrong of course, I won't argue with anyone there.


ohh you just opened a bag of shit I can smell it coming now 8O
Are you sure that's not-oh nevermind....


I was speaking of Stormy and Who-Flug-De-Poo 8O figured he would have gone all radical on that comment not that I dont find it amusing :) I love most of his commentary lol.
_________________
Cheers, SlicerDicer

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try OPENOFFICE.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.
_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.


Last edited by Promit on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 105
Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promit wrote:
Try OPENOFFICE you tard.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.


How bout no? its a waste of time I dont have any use for those. I havent used office nor any form of that stuff in 6 years so why would I do it now to get emails?

How bout people bend to where all can view it regardless of if they have money or not?

I see why he does not cause I refuse to as well. FSF page is not retarted. Its got quite a good point.
_________________
Cheers, SlicerDicer

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have one solution (well, 2, but you won't go for that one either). If you aren't willing to take it, and people aren't willing to work with your constraints and stupid ideals, then so be it.
_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 2767

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge xlhtml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promit wrote:
Try OPENOFFICE you tard.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.


Try learning some manners. Has it occured to you that the original poster might not want people to "show him something" he hasn't asked to see? Has it occured to you that, like me, he might be on a 56K dialup and might resent having his connection tied up by huge attachments generated by Microsoft's worthless software? Has it occured to you that he might appreciate a little common fucking courtesy and expects people to ask permission before sending attachments?

And before you start whining, Promit, keep in mind that if you want to go about calling people "tards", you should expect to get flamed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 105
Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Promit wrote:
Try OPENOFFICE you tard.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.


Try learning some manners. Has it occured to you that the original poster might not want people to "show him something" he hasn't asked to see? Has it occured to you that, like me, he might be on a 56K dialup and might resent having his connection tied up by huge attachments generated by Microsoft's worthless software? Has it occured to you that he might appreciate a little common fucking courtesy and expects people to ask permission before sending attachments?

And before you start whining, Promit, keep in mind that if you want to go about calling people "tards", you should expect to get flamed.


Promit wrote:
You have one solution (well, 2, but you won't go for that one either). If you aren't willing to take it, and people aren't willing to work with your constraints and stupid ideals, then so be it.


Those kind of comments calling my ideals stupid is the best way to piss me and others off. Yeppers I do think so. Besides the fact he did not request the email keep that in mind
_________________
Cheers, SlicerDicer

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Promit wrote:
Try OPENOFFICE you tard.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.


Try learning some manners. Has it occured to you that the original poster might not want people to "show him something" he hasn't asked to see? Has it occured to you that, like me, he might be on a 56K dialup and might resent having his connection tied up by huge attachments generated by Microsoft's worthless software? Has it occured to you that he might appreciate a little common fucking courtesy and expects people to ask permission before sending attachments?


What does he want, a damned text/plain? People have to transfer documents in some format. What's your suggestion? The only idea I have is PDF.

However, I will back up and revise my word choice.
_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promit wrote:
What does he want, a damned text/plain?


Maybe he does. I wouldn't know, because I'm not a flaming telepath.

Promit wrote:
People have to transfer documents in some format. What's your suggestion? The only idea I have is PDF.


My suggestion is that the rude bitch Warped_Dragon calls a mother learns to ask first before sending attachments, or that she post the file on a FTP server and email a link. I don't go about emailing attachments to people who haven't asked for them, because it's fucking rude to do so -- I've made this point before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SecretSquirrel
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Promit wrote:
What does he want, a damned text/plain?


Maybe he does. I wouldn't know, because I'm not a flaming telepath.

Promit wrote:
People have to transfer documents in some format. What's your suggestion? The only idea I have is PDF.


My suggestion is that the rude bitch Warped_Dragon calls a mother learns to ask first before sending attachments, or that she post the file on a FTP server and email a link. I don't go about emailing attachments to people who haven't asked for them, because it's fucking rude to do so -- I've made this point before.


Up your dosage, then join 10 years ago and learn to use the message polling features of most POP mail fetchers, most of which will also tell you the size and if it has an attachment and let you selectivly download messages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
I wouldn't know, because I'm not a flaming telepath.

Quote:

My suggestion is that the rude bitch Warped_Dragon calls a mother learns to ask first before sending attachments, or that she post the file on a FTP server and email a link. I don't go about emailing attachments to people who haven't asked for them, because it's fucking rude to do so -- I've made this point before.

_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Up your dosage, then join 10 years ago.


That was really constructive. Thanks for nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Warped_Dragon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Canada Eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....wow. Make a post, go to bed... and it's huge when I wake up. Amazaing.

Lets see....

@Stormy_Eyes: Amusing, as always. I was actually hoping you'd post your thoughts on the matter. I'll keep that core dump in mind, it's not a bad idea.

Generally, I don't take well to fowards, they go straight to the trash, but hers are usually worth reading. She knows what I find funny, for some reason.

And, though I have DSL, not dial up, I DO resent having to download "huge attachments generated by Microsoft's worthless software", as you so elequently put it.

I like your sig, by the way.

@Promit:
Promit wrote:
Try OPENOFFICE.

That way you wouldn't have to send people links to FSF's retarded page everytime they wanted to show you something.


No. No, no and thrice no. If I had wanted openoffice, I'd have emerged it long ago. And what's wrong with FSF pages?

Promit wrote:
You have one solution (well, 2, but you won't go for that one either). If you aren't willing to take it, and people aren't willing to work with your constraints and stupid ideals, then so be it.


And that, I don't need to refute. SlicerDicer did a fairly good job already.

Promit wrote:

What does he want, a damned text/plain? People have to transfer documents in some format. What's your suggestion? The only idea I have is PDF.


Sending the pictures as regular jpg's wold have been fine. PDF would also have worked. But yes, personally I enjoy veiwing images in plain text format. Is that a problem? :roll:

@Cuber:
Cuber wrote:

Actually, I think he's mother is cool. My mom could say things like that in a mail to, but I would never interpret it as rude or even as yelling. I certainly don't think Warped_Dragon would either. It's just that type of relationship, I guess. And as Slyde said, he initiated it.


Correct. We have the sort of relationship where it's ok to trade barbs and meaningless insults without causing to much anger and/or retaliation. The more creative, the more it shows we care :)

@docGonzo2000:
docGonzo2000 wrote:
If you feel like you won, then great. Just remember, you can't truly win an argument with your parents. In then end, nobody wins those.


Wrong. Both of us are going to die, in the end. Whoever lives longest, wins by default ;)

@frameRATE:
frameRATE wrote:
Lose or win?

You're using Linux. You win by default.


*Considers the number of times he's fixed his mothers computer, deleted spyware, viruses, and dealt with popups*

Agreed!

@Everyone else: Thanks for all the replys. I think this is the only thread I've started that grew to two pages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SecretSquirrel
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
And what's wrong with FSF pages?


Do you enjoy having someone else religion forced on you? I don't, so keep it to yourself.

Yes, the FSF is a religion, and RMS is their very irrational God.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Warped_Dragon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Canada Eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I disagree with you, and say that it's not a religion? Back up your statement with some kind of fact if you want me to beleive you, because as it stands now, mine was as valid as your was. And if it comes down to your word vs mine, guess whose I'm going to go with?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SecretSquirrel
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
And if I disagree with you, and say that it's not a religion? Back up your statement with some kind of fact if you want me to beleive you, because as it stands now, mine was as valid as your was. And if it comes down to your word vs mine, guess whose I'm going to go with?


re·li·gion noun

A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.


The FSF is the head of the Free Software religion. It has its own set of values, its own set of beliefs, and its own set of practices with the GPL as it's bible. And RMS forbid you use non-free/non-GPL compliant software on your own system. Oh the blastpheme.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Promit
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret, you have broken out a level of diss I aspire to.
_________________
Windows, Linux, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 944
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
@Everyone else: Thanks for all the replys. I think this is the only thread I've started that grew to two pages.

Hehe. I remember my first one. Probably the most useless topic on OTW ever. Do you have a DPL or a DPR? Though a lot of people answered the poll but did not write anything. Guess it got too personal :D.
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Posts: 166
Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This reminds me of a few incidents I ran into. I decided to install OpenOffice (holy hell, 12 hours to compile...AUGH) just to open various Office documents. My reason isn't to emulate Windows when using Linux. My reason is to have Linux be capable of anything. I hope that makes sense, since I re-read that and it didn't, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

I only mention I run Linux now when people ask. I'm proud of it, but I don't brag.

Anyway, the incident I'm talking about is with my grandfather's brother-in-law's friend, who keeps sending stuff in Office format. Okay, fine. I can open up the files without a problem, and send replies.

Things came to a head when she emailed me a day later and said "did you open the last thing I sent? don't, it's a VIRUS!"

That's when I said I didn't care, since it doesn't work on my system. Naturally she asked how I knew for sure. I replied that if I really got bored, I could install a Windows emulator (WINE) and run the virus there, but that would be the only way it would work. ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice: pay the $39.99 for CrossOver Office---it's great software, and well worth the price. If you have MS Office or can get it on the cheap (my university offers it for $20), install it under CrossOver. If not, download the free (as in beer) PowerPoint Viewer from MS.

File lock-in sucks but it's reality, so find a way to deal with it. Or don't, but then don't complain about it.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Warped_Dragon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Canada Eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. Or, at least it wasn't my intention. File lock in does suck, and I do my best to deal with it. By refusing to comply, generally. It's a dead end road, but It's my choice to take it.

@SecretSquirril: I'm going to assume that was meant as some kind of cut down, burn, or somesuch thing. It was a fairly good retort to my reply, and I can see where your coming from. I still disagree that it's a religion, simply because it was not created as one, was not intended to be one, and does not present itself as one. How you preceive it is entirerly up to you, of course.

I'm not a FSF zeolot, if anyone was wondering. RMS's word is not law in my book, and never will be. But I do think that quite a few of their, and his, ideals and philosophys are fairly well thought out, and worth thinking about, and/or acting upon. As I did by refusing to install something that would open a pps file.

Think what you will, it's your right and I encourage you to use it. But degenerating a debate to diss and counter-diss as Promit would apparently have, is rather childish, no matter how you look at it. Waste of precious bandwidth, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite frankly, your mother is a worthless bitch.
Wow, all that just b.c she decided to give her son some shit for running non MS applications? Does that mean youre a worthless bastard, b/c obviously youve got the attitude of someone who would give thier parents shit over running MS stuff. :)
_________________
The realOTW: http://forums.realotw.org/index.php

Registered Linux user#364538
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnuageux wrote:
Quote:
Quite frankly, your mother is a worthless bitch.
Wow, all that just b.c she decided to give her son some shit for running non MS applications? Does that mean youre a worthless bastard, b/c obviously youve got the attitude of someone who would give thier parents shit over running MS stuff. :)


Well, I'm certainly a bastard, having been born out of wedlock. :twisted:

I called this guy's mother a bitch because she was rude on at least two counts: First, she sent an unsolicited attachment. Second, she ignored the fact that her son does not use Windows when he explained that he doesn't want files generated by PowerPoint or other MS Office products.

And my parents don't run MS stuff; I installed SuSE 9.1 on their computer and they like it just fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha - Im just saying that there are more important things to worry about in life than what format your parents/brother/daughter sends you attachments in, at least IMO.
_________________
The realOTW: http://forums.realotw.org/index.php

Registered Linux user#364538
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum