unable to mount root fs on 01:00
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gri6507
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: unable to mount root fs on 01:00 Reply with quote

I am new to Gentoo and am trying to install it on a SparcStation 20. I am trying to install from a CD which is a copy of the gentoo-sparc-1.1a-r2.iso. My sparc seems to load SILO just fine. But when I type RAMDISK, I get a kernel panic message of "unable to mount root fs on 01:00" which happens just after the partition check.

It may be worth while to note that this computer was running Solaris beforehand and the hard drives have not been formatted. I don't know if it is even possible since the previous user managed to mess up the system so that Solaris is no longer bootable. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.
brownrc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the same results using the same procedure except I am using a SparcStation 5. Any help would greatly appreciated.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

A number of people have had luck with the Debian Sparc 3.0 Rescue Boot CD Image (rescue.iso I think it's called), though I don't know if anyone's used it on sparc32. Personally I started my ss10 using a splack net boot image. Works well but can be a little tricky to get going.

Currently the Gentoo Sparc 1.1a iso is in need of an update, which is coming. Until then I suggest one of the above,

Hope that helps,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: