Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrashPat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anger?

The only way I ever get angry is when I'm drunk. Probably not a good thing.

I can focus my mind easily enough without being angry, and my wits are usually sharp enough. I code better and faster just after eating a meal while drinking some Mountain Dew. I cannot figure out how an adrenaline rush would help me code at all.. of course maybe the coding that I've been doing lately gives me an adrenaline rush due to time constraints. Been practicing up for the ACM programming contest in November so we have been coding up these weird problems as fast as we can. I suppose that anger could have the same effect.

I dunno. I don't feel many emotions so it is hard for me to relate.
kicker69101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anger I have never found useful. It causes me to do stupid things that I later regret. However I have found great intensity to be a great help.

at least thats my two cents

[yoda]
anger is the path to the darkside
[/yoda]

sorry I had to throw that in there. :twisted:

and yes the world is going to end!
Wi1d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. I'm often angry and harness the energy to be productive instead of letting it take control of me.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really get angry, I just usually flush my emotions which also really helps me think. Most people use anger when fighting, but I instead drop my emotions and I always let the other person make the first move because I love using their attacks against them, which I happened to do to three different people today.

I suppose that this is all just another way of taking control of my anger though.
Wi1d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I never really get angry, I just usually flush my emotions which also really helps me think. Most people use anger when fighting, but I instead drop my emotions and I always let the other person make the first move because I love using their attacks against them, which I happened to do to three different people today.

Hmmmm me wonders if you've ever even been in a fight. Case in point: stupid post.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wi1d wrote:
Hmmmm me wonders if you've ever even been in a fight. Case in point: stupid post.

Yes, but you doubtfully understand martial arts since most street fighters just swing their arms all over the place and do not block.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wi1d, Pwnz3r, please start another thread if you're going to argue over who's got the bigger dick.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Wi1d, Pwnz3r, please start another thread if you're going to argue over who's got the bigger dick.

I couldn't care any less about this guy, but he seems to like being a flamer for some reason. I shall just PM or whatever and try to get the scoop to try to prevent him from ruining your thread.
bushwacka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
I've noticed that anger tends to get a bad rap, but I personally find anger useful. Anger makes me strong when I need to be. It focuses my mind and sharpens my wits when I need to find a solution to a problem. It sets my focus to the present. Anger is useful to me, because I use my anger instead of letting it use me.

Yup. When it comes I let it roll, and it brings it's own sense of clarity and power. Like you said ride your anger, don't let it ride you. A spin on Ram Das eh?
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using anger is just the unsophisticated way for people who can't control there own body.

the same effects can be achived without emotion if you allow yourself to take over some of the autonomous functions of the body.

For instance increasing or decreasing the heart rate is something that can be done at will. Releasing adrenaline is the same, one just needs to learn how to do it.

I hate to drag this up but Pwnz3r has a point...
I used to fight for a living and give me a angry opponent anytime over a calm composed one.
In fact I used to love angry opponents and actively seek to make them angry and loose it because then you have a chance to really show off instead of just aiming for the most efficient take down.
nighty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
nighty wrote:
if youll think about it, anger, to at least is just wasted energy. so if you acknowledge your anger but channel your energy to other things youll be better off.

Do you mean "energy" in the shape of chemicals ?
or do you mean the spirit-thingy ?

I dont beleve that anger is a waste of energy. Its essensial to survival in the nature.
but humans use it in a weird way sometimes.

more in the chemical sense. you cannot not anger, its human nature and when required to your survival you should use it. however, when you are angry at yourself after failing to do stuff or at some people pissing you off, you are just wasting energy that could have been used to make things better.
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashPat wrote:
Anger?

The only way I ever get angry is when I'm drunk. Probably not a good thing.

I can focus my mind easily enough without being angry, and my wits are usually sharp enough. I code better and faster just after eating a meal while drinking some Mountain Dew. I cannot figure out how an adrenaline rush would help me code at all.. of course maybe the coding that I've been doing lately gives me an adrenaline rush due to time constraints. Been practicing up for the ACM programming contest in November so we have been coding up these weird problems as fast as we can. I suppose that anger could have the same effect.

I dunno. I don't feel many emotions so it is hard for me to relate.

Keyword here "Mountain Dew" ... SUGAR BABY! GIMME THAT SUGAR HIGH! Adrenaline... Sugar high.. Yeah...
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

bushwacka wrote:
Yup. When it comes I let it roll, and it brings it's own sense of clarity and power. Like you said ride your anger, don't let it ride you. A spin on Ram Das eh?

Ram Das? No, I'm not familiar with him. I just understand that if I let my rage blind me, then I'm likely to fail. It's one thing to let passion inspire reasoning, and quite another to let passion overrule reason. A lot of this, I'll admit, I came to after reading Ayn Rand, who among other things rejects the dichotomy between reason and emotion.
Wi1d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
I hate to drag this up but Pwnz3r has a point...
I used to fight for a living and give me a angry opponent anytime over a calm composed one.
In fact I used to love angry opponents and actively seek to make them angry and loose it because then you have a chance to really show off instead of just aiming for the most efficient take down.

Your absolutly right. Anger slows you down in a fight and it also keeps you from thinking straight. I've boxed, fought a lot as a young a thug, wasted my time with some martial arts untill I discovered muay thai, and am currently involved in nhb (no holds barred) bouts here in IA, USA. I myself thrive on fast aggressive combinations with occasional feints if even needed alot like the "straight blast" if ma is your forte. I also do know some people like to play the counter game, though I believe my strategy is better; stay close and be aggressive to a counter fighter and your sure to win. It his comment that irked me.
se wrote:

Compare pecker sizes? Its nothing like that. I just don't like the guy.

Maybe someone else can relate? I can ask because it's anger related :wink:. This is a flaw in my own personality that has cost me dearly on many occasions. Some people irk me and I can't explain why. I just don't like them and have a difficult time hiding it. I lost a job a while back, a job I held for almost 5 yrs, because my new boss irked me. I started to park in his reserved parking spot knowing he knew my car. Then I started to boot his XP box into safe mode, log-in as administrator; since most XP users don't even know the account exsist and doesn't have a password by default, and changing his password knowing that he knew I was computer savvy and the only one labled so in the department. He never would say anything to me either because I'm a big guy and I could tell I intimidated him. His silence made me disslike him more. I just wanted smash his face I think. I only had to see the man the last 3 hours of an 8 hour day but I couldn't stop making smart-ass comments and pulling pranks. It eventually cost me my job, not directly from the things I did but as an after effect. I do think anger can cost. I makes it hard to move up in a world that would rather you have an "outgoing" personality as oppossed to skill and hard work.

As far pnzrw, from this day forward I will not read nor respond to any of his post. He exsist no longer as far as I'm concerned. I wish I can do this in the realworld, make people that irk me stop exsisting. I guess I can do it but not without legal difficulties.
z3ro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wi1d wrote:
As far pnzrw, from this day forward I will not read nor respond to any of his post. He exsist no longer as far as I'm concerned. I wish I can do this in the realworld, make people that irk me stop exsisting. I guess I can do it but not without legal difficulties.

How can you hate someone for no reason? If his posts annoy you no one is forcing you into replying. It's no excuse to be nasty to someone simply "because".

Edit: [tags] screwed up.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wi1d wrote:
Maybe someone else can relate? I can ask because it's anger related :wink:. This is a flaw in my own personality that has cost me dearly on many occasions. Some people irk me and I can't explain why. I just don't like them and have a difficult time hiding it.

I can relate. A great many people irk me, though I can usually explain why. When I can't, it's because I haven't given the matter enough thought. I've had to say this a few times: "I don't like you, and I'm not interested in being your friend. However, since we have to work together, I have nothing to gain from being your enemy. Let's keep our distance." What you did to your boss is an example of what happens when you let your feelings overrule your reason. You knew that it wasn't in your best interest to pull these pranks, but you did them anyway. In your place, I would not have done what you did.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z3RO 0 wrote:
How can you hate someone for no reason? If his posts annoy you no one is forcing you into replying. It's no excuse to be nasty to someone simply "because".

Actually, being annoyed with somebody is a reason to hate him. It is, however, a very flimsy reason.
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an extremely intuitive person. I usually think it's from being a scorpio.. I don't have a real reason for it. It's just the way I am.
I get vibes from people. Very quickly. I've only been wrong once, and it cost me.
If I don't like people, I stay out of their way. I make sure they stay out of mine. I wouldn't go as far as pulling pranks and being annoying to them... Not overtly anyway.

So.. I can relate to what you're saying. Still. I certainly have a lot of problems with hiding those feelings. I'm not snarling.. But I could be.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
gowator wrote:
GentooBox wrote:
Stormy Eyes wrote:
I've noticed that anger tends to get a bad rap, but I personally find anger useful. Anger makes me strong when I need to be. It focuses my mind and sharpens my wits when I need to find a solution to a problem. It sets my focus to the present. Anger is useful to me, because I use my anger instead of letting it use me.

I code better and faster when I'm angered, and my writing is better too. So, what's so bad about anger when used constructively?

I use anger when im powerlifting.
If i get angry before i have to lift a heavy weight, then i cant feel the pain when i lift it + it makes me stronger.

People look stange at me when i'm lifing in anger, i'm shakeing, screaming and look like i'm going to explode. :twisted:

so the cool thing to do is to release the adrenalin without being angry...
In actual fact are you really angry or are you just convincing your body to release more adrenaline?

Anger usually makes people less rational and hence is hardly a constructive thing unless something really needs that...but in todays society less and less requires someone angry and pumped up over something trivial...

I'm makeing myself angry.

20-40 seconds before i lift the weight i thing about something that makes me angry.

Strongly agree on this one, anger is essential for weightlifting. Not so much for the newbies, but when you start hitting the higher weights it can be hard to break a plateu without some anger at those damn weights that won't move.
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anger is fine when you're not using it against other people. I really hate it when people are mad at me and I also hate it when I find myself taking my anger out on someone else. As for anger helping you think and such, I'm sure it's probably true, seeing as anger may invoke adrenaline and such which might help the blood get to your brain. Now if only it could make the number of hours in the day increase, I would be happy.
Joe Kinley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffery ;)

:roll:

*edit*
Damnit... mistake ^^
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

Kai Hvatum wrote:

Strongly agree on this one, anger is essential for weightlifting. Not so much for the newbies, but when you start hitting the higher weights it can be hard to break a plateu without some anger at those damn weights that won't move.

So you don't think there is another way to release the same chemicals?
try pcp, yo'll soon be pulling your bones apart and ligaments from bone.

however there is really no need. The bodies autonomous functions are easily controlled in other ways such as raising or lowering your heartbeat or release of adrenalin and endorphins. Its simply a matter of learning how to take control over the bodies autonomous functions...

when I was a kid i used to worry about forgetting to breat when I was sleeping and then i'd realise I had to concentrate on every breath.... AHHH .. of course if I fwell asleep my body just took over but once you start to just think like this you take control over an autonomous function...

the trick is to be able to turn thee on and off at will.
Anger isn't a good way because its like using a sledge hammer to turn on a tap!!!
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By nature, I'm a more intuitive than logical person. However, I believe that having one or the other being dominant is counterproductive.

An old Japanese saying - "Pen and sword in accord."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
Anger is useful to me, because I use my anger instead of letting it use me.
That is the key.

Stormy Eyes wrote:
So, what's so bad about anger when used constructively?
Nothing. However, IMO, It is uncommon for anger to be used constructively.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Anger Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
Kai Hvatum wrote:

So you don't think there is another way to release the same chemicals?
try pcp, yo'll soon be pulling your bones apart and ligaments from bone.

however there is really no need. The bodies autonomous functions are easily controlled in other ways such as raising or lowering your heartbeat or release of adrenalin and endorphins. Its simply a matter of learning how to take control over the bodies autonomous functions...

when I was a kid i used to worry about forgetting to breat when I was sleeping and then i'd realise I had to concentrate on every breath.... AHHH .. of course if I fwell asleep my body just took over but once you start to just think like this you take control over an autonomous function...

the trick is to be able to turn thee on and off at will.
Anger isn't a good way because its like using a sledge hammer to turn on a tap!!!

Hehe, please post your special method of releasing neurotransmitters through concious thought! I could use some extra serotonin...

^ *Sarcasm* ;)

I do know what you mean, and I already follow it. When I'm getting "angry/pumped" I begin breathing quickly and try to focus on the task at hand. I suppose preparing for a fight would be a better parallel then simple anger.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: