Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
i18n for one of the languages Gentoo didn't package...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lupestro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: i18n for one of the languages Gentoo didn't package... Reply with quote

Hello, all,

I am upgrading kde to 3.3.0 as we speak and figured it was time to raise a question I've had for a while.

The kde-i18n package allows for the user to specify a series of languages to install via the LINGUAS environment variable. The ebuild picks up the requisite individual language packages from the mirror and installs them. However, not all of the upteen-gazillion languages that KDE supports are available via Gentoo. As it happens, I have had an off-and-on interest in Esperanto, and like to have it available to me. I can get the kde-i18n-eo source package off the KDE site but then how do I meld it into my Gentoo-installed kde-i18n?

The package from the KDE site is a .tar.bz2 package. The packages for each language consumed by the ebuild are .tar.bz2 packages. Are they the same? How do I source one .tar.bz2 of several from somewhere other than the customary mirrors? If not, how would I turn the .tar.bz2 package from KDE into a .tar.bz2 package suitable for consumption by emerge? Then I can tweak the .ebuild if necessary and reinstall kde-i18n, picking it up. Can somebody give me some guidance what I would have to do?

Gxis,
Lupestro
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
% LINGUAS=eo emerge -f kde-i18n
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) kde-base/kde-i18n-3.3.0 to /
>>> Previously fetched file: kde-i18n-eo-3.3.0.tar.bz2 MD5 ;-)
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) kde-i18n-eo-3.3.0.tar.bz2

It looks like it's already supported :)
lupestro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. After the update, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did come up. This must be something they did for 3.3.0.

And I note that all the Arabic stuff is in place, too, although I know that was there for 3.2.3. It'd be nice if the Arabeyes fonts (ae_fonts) ended up in a Gentoo package or three.

Anyway, thanks, and sorry for the noise.

Lupestro
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also quite keen about Esperanto, and I'm really glad that for 3.3 something comes up, because it didn't for KDE 3.2. Thanks for this thread because I would not have found it now :)
Now I can use the Esperanto internationalization.
Mi nun estas tre ĝoja ke mi povas uzi la esperantan tradukon :)
astaroth_pod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not packaged for "se", which my girlfriend wants to use... And it's even in the example in the ebuild message! Tsk tsk :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: