View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
br14n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: X in vmware gentoo Reply with quote

Sorry, it's not gentoo-specific, but I'm having trouble getting X working in my gentoo-vmware-gentoo setup (vmware is running under gentoo -- running pseudo-gentoo). Is there some standard strange XF86Config that'll make stuff work?
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a driver for linux, on Vmware. if you click the settings/vmware tools install, it will put a virtual CD into the drive of your VM and there is help there someware too for how to install the driver and stuff. havent played with gentoo under vmware, only vmware on gentoo. Id think that compiling would be slower under vmware? Am i right? i know that windows acta a lot slower under vmware then when its running as a main OS. I use windows for web development (dreamweaver), P2P file sharing (Kazaa) and software development (Visual Basic). Thats the only reason i use win2k on vmware. Tell me if this works. and your thoughs on the speed. Im on an athlon 1gz, 384mb ram of which 128 for win2k, 30gb hdd of which 4 gb for win2k.
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
br14n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I didn't know how vmware tools worked; I guess I need to start the vmware tools install and then mount the cdrom or something to see the driver goodies.
I'm pretty sure compiling will be considerably slower under vmware than native, but fortunately it's possible to just install from the stage3 cd. Emulating and so forth, I'm not sure how much difference it would make to compile gentoo in vmware with optimizations and all that.
Thanks for the info.
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found vmware to be about 5 - 10% slower on gentoo then other Linux boxes. Thats something to do with RTC i think. vmware is still good though :)
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: