Hardware compatibility list
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinbowes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Hardware compatibility list Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking to put together a server to replace my current Redhat 8.0 box.

I've picked up a few SCSI drives and am looking to build a RAID 5 array on which to build the system.

I like the look of Gentoo and would like to give it a go.

Is there some sort of hardware compatibility list I can check before buying any hardware to make sure it will be compatible with Gentoo?

Thanks,

R.
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that'll work with RedHat, you'll be able to get going with Gentoo. It might be a bit more work but it'll be possible. This is handy:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

RedHat, Mandrake, Suse et al all have HCLs on their websites. As Linux is Linux really, the info. you get there will broadly apply to Gentoo (just don't expect to use the tools you get in those distros).

Have fun.
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Don't use that as "THE" reference Reply with quote

This reference can only be reliable to tell you what does work. Everything else may have changed since writing. If it says BETA drives or no support, keep digging. You're likely to find some support somewhere, maybe a lot.

These forums are a great place to find support. Many times it has already been discussed so search prolifically and discuss if you don't find it. Revive old discussions that talk about your hardware, but don't quite meet your needs. Never know when another poor fella (don't worry, that's gender neutral) is going to run into the same problem.
flickerfly
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stats.gentoo.org/statistics-cards.htm is an excellent place to see if someone else already has it working if it's an audio controller or ethernet controller. I'm going to suggest they expand this part significantly because it is basically an automated hardware compatibility list for Gentoo. We could really use at least a video category and a misc. category. Maybe we could get a ROM drive or USB device category also. What else would be useful?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: