View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: SiS 630 + XFree 4.2.1 Reply with quote

When I run X (startx) I get a black screen for a few seconds, then it goes back to console, and only 1 Error message at xfree log:

(EE) SIS(0): Detected Chrontel 70xx, but encountered error reading I2C port.

I removed DRI from XF86Config, but same prob.

I have loaded the following modules:

i2c-core, i2c-proc, and sisfb.

Anyway to disable Chrontel detection? (TV Output chipset as far as I have seen) Or to solve the I2C problem?

Thnx.

BTW Sorry for my lame english.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same video controler. I manged to get further in configuring X by following the informations found on http://www.winischhofer.net/sisdri.shtml.

The only thing I havent figured out is how to get opengl to use the sis driver for rendering :(
klimg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a problem right now.I got glxgears hovering around at 250 fps in the default window - thats ok - but anything opengl crashes my box.I do use the gentoo-sources for the kernel and start to think that this might be the problem.I'll try vanilla sources for the kernel tomorrow.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did tried it with gentoo-sources and got a lot of crashes also. I reverted back to vanilla and, crashes are gone.
klimg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just compiled the vanilla sources and opengl still isn't working.The framerate with glxgears went up from 250 fps to 290 fps but doesn't help me with opengl.Did you use gcc 3.2?
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. 2.9.

Still, your fps is way better than mine. I get around 20 fps. The glxinfo reports dri to be disabled. XFree86.0.log reports that dri is enabled. I'm lost for making it worked.

Funny thing is, I saw the option "AGPmode" "2" on the dri.sourceforge site. Itried it and it worked!... once. My framerate effectively doubled to about 50 fps. So I tought trying with "4" and it did not worked, so I reverted back to 2 but since then, the log show that AGPMode is ignored. I'm not suprised since AGPMode is not reported to be an option on Thomas's site for the sis driver. I wonder howcome it worked the 1st time.

I also noticed that if you try esoteric Option settings in "XF86conf", it breaks the kernel somehow. Whatever has to do with mounting or unmounting devices, it will segfault. Can't even do a clean shutdown after that since the shutdown script tries to unmount the file systems.

I'm about to say F*** it. Whatever bares a name "sis" is banned in my book. Windows and linux all togheter. They don't want to support Linux? I'll punish them. No more money from me.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have fixed it. I have recompiled xfree with CFLAGS="march=i686 -Os -pipe" as suggested in another thread and it did the trick.

Do to multiple crashing during the compilation, I've switch between many kernels I have compiled and I realized that they were mostly due to my FSB overclocking. I'm presently using gentoo-sources-rc9 with preemptive on and it seem stable when running inside the CPU clock specs.

I also noticed that glxgears fps measurments is greatly dependent on the screen resolution, color depth and size of the window it's running in. Even partly covering the gears with another window will increase the fps.

I have increased it by 2.5x (only) at 45 fps in a 1280x1024x24. It's near 200 fps @ 1024x768x16. I guess I really don't have the right equipment.

Now I got to fix the mess all this made.

Good luck

Last edited by tecknojunky on Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
klimg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right about SIS.I would throw in a nvidia card immidiately - if they wouldn't cost as much as my whole box in Brasil.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: