Airport on a PowerMac: eth1 not available
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staniel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Airport on a PowerMac: eth1 not available Reply with quote

I'm having some difficulty setting up my 806.11b airport card in a PowerMac G4. I'm using the 2.6.7 kernel with the 2004.1 distribution of gentoo. I know it can work because I connected to my access point without any hitches when I was using the LiveCD. The main problem is that iwconfig doesn't acknowledge that there even is an eth1, furthermore it acts as though eth0 is the wireless card. When I try to use iwconfig to set up eth0 it has no effect at all, but I get no errors. When I try to use iwconfig to setup eth1 it tells me that there is no such interface. I have tried compiling all of the Orinoco/Hermes/Airport drives directly into the kernel and also as modules which I load after booting. Neither method has worked. I have my /etc/conf.d/net setup with [code]iface_eth1="dhcp"[/code] and I have linked /etc/init.d/net.eth1 to /etc/init.d/net.eth0. When I run [code]/etc/init.d/net.eth1 start[/code] it returns an error that the interface could not be brought up. I'm at a loss for what to do and am completely baffled as to why the eth1 can not be found with my kernel, while it can be found using the LiveCD. Also, I have used modprobe to ensure that the drives were successfully installed. Everything seems to be in place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jesu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first a little it of background. Linux assigns names to network interfaces sequentially when each driver is loaded. So, if you have a wired network port and a wirelesss card, normally the wired driver is loaded and assigned the first name (eth0), then the wireless driver is loaded and assigned the next name (eth1) and so on if you have lots of different interfaces. It is not that case that they have fixed names (eth0 is wired, eth1 is wireless) it's just that it normally works out that way.

In your case, it sounds like eth0 *is* the wireless card. Do you have a wired network port? Have you loaded drivers for it? You have two options: either make sure you've got the wired network port driver installed (prob best bet) to push the wireless onto eth1; or update your scripts renaming eth1 to eth0.

HTH,

Jesu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: