help me choose a new cordless telephone
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: help me choose a new cordless telephone Reply with quote

A weird question for the gentoo forums, I know, but I like to have the best price/performance when it comes to most electronics, so I don't want to just walk into walmart and pick some random phone that looks good. I though you guys might have some good suggestions, especially when it comes to how to get rid of the damn interference.

The cordless telephone in our house sucks. It didn't use to, but now there is always interference on the line and it can be hard to hear the other person. It isn't the phone line, because the corded phone is fine. Using the toaster oven or microwave makes it especially bad (which makes sense. but why we placed the base of the phone right next to the microwave is beyond me). We also now have an 802.11b/g wireless network in the house, as do one or more of our neighbors.

The phone is a Uniden 900MHz cordless phone. It was pretty cheap, IIRC.

Would getting a 5.04GHz cordless phone help decrease interference and noise? (and would an 802.11b/g wireless network interfere with a 2.4GHz cordless phone?)

Any suggestions as to what brand of phone to get, or what model? We don't need an answering machine - at least, we prefer to have a seperate answering machine. (Actually, is there a compelling reason to get an phone that has a built in answering machine over having two seperate devices?)

And the last question: if getting a seperate answering machine, any suggestions as to what make/model?

The bottom line is, however, what kind of phone should we get to deal with all the interference?

thanks!
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.8Ghz is great, but it will cost you more than other phones. I have a Uniden and it gets a great signal. It is also very small and I have the one with the built-in answering machine (digital of course). No problems with it whatsoever. Also, it is exapandable up to like 10 handsets which is cool. It has some cool features too: you can use the handsets by themselves as walkie talkies, you can use the phones like a baby monitor (or a monitor in general), and some other stuff.
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Uniden you have is 5.8GHz? ANd does great mean that the frequency is less susceptible to interference?

thanks so far!
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah supposedly the higher the frequency the more resistant it is to common interference. I used to have a 2.4GHz and it had random interference. Maybe it was a crummy phone, I dunno, but I think some channels may have interfered with my wireless router or something.
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any particular brands I should look for/avoid?
I've heard good things about Uniden and Vtech phones, and bad things about Bell/AT&T cordless phones. Are these justified?

thanks...
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Vtech and i love it...

900Mhz though :roll:

Still it rox0rs
damnreds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.4 GHz phone, and my wireless network definately interferes with the signal. It's bad all over the house because of the 802.11G that we are broadcasting, but when you walk into the room with the router, you can't get anything but static.

5.8GHz would probably work, but we also have a 900 MHz that works like a charm. :wink:
damnreds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grepcomputers wrote:
Are there any particular brands I should look for/avoid?
I've heard good things about Uniden and Vtech phones, and bad things about Bell/AT&T cordless phones. Are these justified?

thanks...

Just get one at Radio Shack. Not the best there, but good, consistant quality for much less than other places.
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have a 900MHz now, and it gets awful interference, which is why I'm looking to change the frequency it operates at. And 2.4GHz is out due to our wireless network.

I'll check radioshack.

I must say, having a phone with a built-in digital answering system is beginning to appeal to me.

thanks...
CrashPat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got a vtech 5.8ghz here. It seems to work great whenever I talk on it.. which is very, very little. It has that expandable handset feature so you can put a like 8 or 10 phones on it, why you would need to I dunno, but it is an option. Digital answering machine too. I think it was expensive.. 150 bucks or so I'd imagine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: