Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
May I ask whats the meaning of pretty? And is there no overlay for this? A layman overlay would be very nice.
Originally I called it "pertty" as a play on the word "pretty" in like a Southerner accent, because at the time it make KDE look "real pertty like".. if that makes sense.

I'm happy to set up an svn account for this if StifflerStealth and or nxsty want it.

-c
A SVN would be helpful. :)

And right now, I am working on the patches for KDE 3.5.5. I managed to download all the source files from a server ... which will remain nameless since it's not suppose to be out yet. ;) Well, anyways, there is some good news and some bad news. :( The good news is that the Tango patches have finally made it into the KDE source, so no more tango patches. The bad news ... our most beloved feature is a pain to patch in -- The semi-transparent rubberband. They made some massive changes to the whole default settins thing and now use KConfig to load up a default config setting, so I need to find that default config file to patch it up. Then some code needs to be rewritten for it. I am glad I got this source early, but I only have a few days until the official release. :( So, I am trying to hurry. :) Like as in today :P

If anyone knows anything about the way the new KConfig thingie works, please let me know.

Oh, by the way, 3.5.5 has a massive changelog and a lot of things fixed, including full CUPS 1.2 support. KDE is just getting better and better. :D

Thanks
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those using Xgl overlay from Coffee, I have updated the KDELIBS ebuilds.

I have one prepared for 3.5.5, however, as StifflerStealth indicated, there's probably going to be some issues with some of the patches.

StifflerStealth, let me know when you have it figured out, so I can update in Xgl overlay.

Thanks (PM or E-mail).
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5.5 is out: http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.5.php

The distfiles are already available on the Gentoo mirrors (well, the mirror I use anyway) and it has been unmasked.
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. I hope you can find how to rewrite the transparent rubberband for this version. That's my favorite improvement (along with the roundy box around selected text).

Good to see you back on track Roderick ;)
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am compile testing the patches now. :) So, I should have results by tomorrow, because I need to compile all of KDE.

Cheers.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTS wrote:
That's good news. I hope you can find how to rewrite the transparent rubberband for this version. That's my favorite improvement (along with the roundy box around selected text).

Good to see you back on track Roderick ;)

I may take a stab at fixing the patches for rubberband cause I love that feature the most. Who knows, I may get it working before StifflerStealth :) ... Is that a challenge.... :P

And, yep, I'm back... hopefully I can spend some more time now.
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news from the two of you! Looking forward to hearing more tomorrow ;) :P
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I am compile testing the patches now. :) So, I should have results by tomorrow, because I need to compile all of KDE.

Cheers.

If you have kdehiddenvisibility problems, the kde.eclass is messed up. It has a failed check. I had to change a line in kde.eclass from #define to #ifdef (this is not correct for sure, however, I know I have hidden working so as long as it compiles...).

Anyway, I made a post to the Qt overlay regarding this issue as well. I hope a dev see's and fixes :)
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated the overlay (coffee) and noticed this file:
/portage-xgl/kde-base/kdelibs/files/kdelibs-3.5.5-tango.patch

However, StifflerStealth stated above that the Tango patches were included in the source of 3.5.5. Just wondering :roll:
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:

And right now, I am working on the patches for KDE 3.5.5. I managed to download all the source files from a server ... which will remain nameless since it's not suppose to be out yet. ;)

lol, why didnt you just check out the tag in kde's svn? its no secret..
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTS wrote:
Just updated the overlay (coffee) and noticed this file:
/portage-xgl/kde-base/kdelibs/files/kdelibs-3.5.5-tango.patch

However, StifflerStealth stated above that the Tango patches were included in the source of 3.5.5. Just wondering :roll:

Yeah.. I had created the files prior to realizing I wouldn't need it. I'll clean this up and delete it next time I get a chance. It's not included in the ebuild (the patch line is commented out in the ebuild).

Cheers...
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:

Cheers.

If you have kdehiddenvisibility problems, the kde.eclass is messed up. It has a failed check. I had to change a line in kde.eclass from #define to #ifdef (this is not correct for sure, however, I know I have hidden working so as long as it compiles...).

Anyway, I made a post to the Qt overlay regarding this issue as well. I hope a dev see's and fixes :)
Eh? did you mean a different person to quote? But, I do know the error that you are talking about. It has to do with confcache. Disable that and then recompile kdelibs and all other KDE programs that were not compiled with kdehiddenvisibility.

Well, I wouldn't call what I have fixed ... it's still very hacker-ish done. I will take a lot a little more when KDE 3.5.5 is done compiling and if things work, I will post the patches. :) Stay tuned. It's still compiling because there was an error that stopped the KDE update early on and I didn't get to it until after work today. <_< Maybe tomorrow, I will post what I have. Though the rubberband patches need to be changed heavily, and configurable in more areas.

And the reason I didn't mention the source of the tarball's for KDE was that they were not supposed to be released yet. :P Some distros broke the agreement yet again and posted the tarball's before the announcement.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Eh? did you mean a different person to quote? But, I do know the error that you are talking about. It has to do with confcache. Disable that and then recompile kdelibs and all other KDE programs that were not compiled with kdehiddenvisibility.

No. I was giving a heads up I had a problem you might encounter. And yep, it turned out to be confcache... grrr... Anyway, all finally compiled fine.

StifflerStealth wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call what I have fixed ... it's still very hacker-ish done. I will take a lot a little more when KDE 3.5.5 is done compiling and if things work, I will post the patches. :) Stay tuned. It's still compiling because there was an error that stopped the KDE update early on and I didn't get to it until after work today. <_< Maybe tomorrow, I will post what I have. Though the rubberband patches need to be changed heavily, and configurable in more areas.

And the reason I didn't mention the source of the tarball's for KDE was that they were not supposed to be released yet. :P Some distros broke the agreement yet again and posted the tarball's before the announcement.

I have everything working with the original patches. I commented out the rubberband patches for each of the affeced ebuilds, and all seemed to build fine and run ok.

I'll probably start looking at the rubberband today as well. Let me know what you have found thus far.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the rubberband patches now...

kdelibs - original 3.5.4 patch applys cleanly and looks ok.
konqueror - original 3.5.4 patch applys cleanly and looks ok.
kcontrol - patch fails as this is where stifflerstealth indicates kcmstyle rewrites have occurred.

I'll start looking at this code now to see if I can help StifflerStealth.

Also, I believe there's no issue with applying the original patches to kdelibs and konqueror at this point. I do not believe it will break (horribly) anything.

Cheers.

EDIT:::::

Ok, I think I understand what is going on here. KStype is used from Qt3 for the rubber band effect (along with translucency, etc). The info is stored in a file called kstylerc under your local directory as follows:

Code:
~{user}/.qt/kstylerc

Here's an example from my user:

Code:
[Settings]
MenuDropShadow=false
MenuOpacity=0.9
MenuTransparencyEngine=Disabled
SemiTransparentRubberband=true

The old kcontrol manually set the defaults hardcoded, rather than have a rc file for them. They have now removed that and instead read from kstylerc (if present in your local directory - then it will be used).

The file: /usr/qt/3/etc/settings/kstylerc belongs to package redhat-artwork. It installs a blank file, and thus, a new KDE user will have no kstype settings enabled (including the new rubberband). This is ok.

After checking the patches in the kcontrol for rubberband, I have found that the only one that failed was the default setting of rubberband to "on" (true) in the defaults function. This is not necessary. If we choose to accept the default behaviour of the rubberband off, and allow the user to turn it on in the kcontrl applet, then we are ok to omit this section of the patch.

I am building it now, and will let you know.

Also, if you already had this working for KDE kcontrol 3.5.4, then your config is already set and it will be read in and used.

Anyway, post back soon (beat you too it StifflerStealth).

EDIT 2 ::::::

Here's the diff between 3.5.4 patch for kcontrol and 3.5.5:

Code:
diff -u kde-base/kcontrol/files/kdebase-3.5.4-kcontrol-rubberband.patch kde-base/kcontrol/files/kdebase-3.5.5-kcontrol-rubberband.patch
--- kde-base/kcontrol/files/kdebase-3.5.4-kcontrol-rubberband.patch     2006-06-03 17:21:44.000000000 -0230
+++ kde-base/kcontrol/files/kdebase-3.5.5-kcontrol-rubberband.patch     2006-10-13 15:14:57.000000000 -0230
@@ -88,14 +88,6 @@
        item = comboMenuHandle->currentItem();
        config.writeEntry( "InsertTearOffHandle", item );
        item = comboMenuEffect->currentItem();
-@@ -683,6 +697,7 @@ void KCMStyle::defaults()
-       // Effects..
-       cbEnableEffects->setChecked(false);
-       comboTooltipEffect->setCurrentItem(0);
-+      comboRubberbandEffect->setCurrentItem(1);
-       comboComboEffect->setCurrentItem(0);
-       comboMenuEffect->setCurrentItem(0);
-       comboMenuHandle->setCurrentItem(0);
 @@ -917,6 +932,10 @@ void KCMStyle::loadEffects( KConfig& con
        else
                comboTooltipEffect->setCurrentItem( 0 );

EDIT 3 ::::::

Confirmed. Works as expected.

StifflerStealth should only need to mod the one patch from kcontrol as listed above. It should be relatively easy to release the new KIP now.

YAY!!!!!!!!!
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to tripple post....

Looks like the patch for kdialog was not introduced upstream. Was it actually included in kdelibs as well or do we need to do something with that also?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kdelibs patch was included. I guess they added the functionality of the kdialog patch elsewhere. Anyways all the tango bugs are closed, and it is said that Tango is added so the patches have been removed. :)

As I said in a previous post, I want to integrate the patch better for transparency. I am about ready to release the new patches, but they will have the beta status. I want to improve them a lot. :)

Cheers.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
The kdelibs patch was included. I guess they added the functionality of the kdialog patch elsewhere. Anyways all the tango bugs are closed, and it is said that Tango is added so the patches have been removed. :)

As I said in a previous post, I want to integrate the patch better for transparency. I am about ready to release the new patches, but they will have the beta status. I want to improve them a lot. :)

Cheers.

What transparancy are you referring to?

PS: All your existing patches from 3.5.4 work with 3.5.5 with the exception noted above (at least from the packages I have installed).
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Release!

This is a beta release for the 3.5.5 release of KDE. It's beta because of the rubberband patch. It works but the default setting had to be taken out. Thus, if you have never had these patches on your current install, then you will need to go to "Control Center" --> "Appearance & Themes" --> "Style" --> "Effects" Tab --> "Rubberband Effect" and change that to "Make Translucent". Also, all the patches have been remade against the 3.5.5 source, so there should be no offset messages if you patch by hand. :P But the real reason I do that is to check for "Fuzz" which may mean that something was already patched. That has happened before with these patches actually. *cough*

The tango patches were taken out, and so kdialog is no longer a part of the release anymore.

Not much else really changed.

http://www.gentooexperimental.org/~sleepyhead/kip/kde-3.5.5-split-kip-Beta1.tar.bz2

Soon, the patches will be up on an SVN server, thanks go to Chris for donating some server space for that. I will try to get patches for the current gentoo stable and unstable KDE version tagged on that SVN account. I will try to back port some added things to KDE 3.5.2. Maybe that will attract more people to it. :)

Happy compiling.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
What transparancy are you referring to?
Oh, sorry, I meant the semitransparent rubberband effect. I would like to integrate it into the new settings thing they have. I have traced all the files that it needs to be in, including the default settings, but I just need to study how to do that. That won't happen for about two weeks because I need to prepare for my brothers wedding. If you wish, I can share what I know about it and maybe someone can look at it and figure out how to fully integrate those settings with the existing code?

Cheers.
Scullder
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I was waiting for KIP to upgrade to KDE 3.5.5 :)
Linux gentoo 2.6.18-ck1-r2 #1 PREEMPT Fri Nov 17 01:37:56 CET 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
If you wish, I can share what I know about it and maybe someone can look at it and figure out how to fully integrate those settings with the existing code?

Cheers.

Sure... let me know what you have discovered.

From what I can see, there's nothing required to make the rubberband correct (but I only spent today investigating and maybe missed something :P )
richard_ablitt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to build kdesktop, configure exited with

Code:

checking for MAXPATHLEN... ./configure: line 47284: syntax error near unexpected token `do'
./configure: line 47284: `  dirs=`for i in $files; do if test -d $i; then echo $i; fi; done`'

It was also looking for Qt in the wrong place, but a symlink got around that.

Am I doing something wrong?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard_ablitt wrote:
I can't seem to build kdesktop, configure exited with

Code:

checking for MAXPATHLEN... ./configure: line 47284: syntax error near unexpected token `do'
./configure: line 47284: `  dirs=`for i in $files; do if test -d $i; then echo $i; fi; done`'

It was also looking for Qt in the wrong place, but a symlink got around that.

Am I doing something wrong?
It configures fine for me, and QT is found with no need for a symlink. I don't know what can be wrong. The patches do not modify the configure scripts, so maybe you can remove the symlink and move the overlayed kdesktop (so you use the official ebuild), recompile and see if you get the same errors. If you do, then you can post that on the forum in the help area. :)

Cheers.
richard_ablitt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version in Portage appears to have stopped working as well, which is strange since it was working before (I'm currently running KDE 3.5.5). Is Qt meant to be in /usr/qt/3 or /usr/share/qt3?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard_ablitt wrote:
The version in Portage appears to have stopped working as well, which is strange since it was working before (I'm currently running KDE 3.5.5). Is Qt meant to be in /usr/qt/3 or /usr/share/qt3?

/usr/qt/3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: