View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point, why Slyde, are you hassling Peter?

Last edited by Quantumstate on Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godspeed Superman.. Thanks for the political activism as of late, an inspiring life in tragedy.
ultraslacker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyde wrote:
Peter_G wrote:
Slyde wrote:
Oh. I didn't know you knew him personally.

I didn't and that's my point.

Well, you said he wasn't screaming for euthanasia and I am just curious, how is that any less ignorant than someone saying he was?

Umm, because he wasn't, at least not in his interviews. Someone with a wish to die would not have suffered through years of paralysis.

cnn.com
Leafo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
More to the point, why Slyde, are you hassling Peter?

Itr's more like sparring. I came on a bit offensive by my original choice of words and Slyde might have taken a bit offence to my harsh tone.

Had I used another choice of word (by just quoting Chopinzee and/or Stormy Eyes and politly asking for a source where he spoke of his constant suffering and wish for death as release) we'd likely not have this little spat. ;)
Duder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_G wrote:
1) He stated so publically otherwise
Of course he's not going to publically say he wants to die. How retarded is that?
Quote:
2) He showed an interest in life even after his accident

He only showed an interest in helping himself by starting a paralysis fund as soon as he became paralyzed.
Quote:
3) Nothing he did after the accident propopes the idea that he pined for death as an hastened release.

You're right; it was showing that all he wanted was to cure himself so he could quit being paralyzed and live a better life.
Quote:
Q.E.D.

yeah.. not so much..

EDIT: Yeah.. I'm not a huge fan of Reeve.

Help the unanswered

Please add [solved] to the subject line if your problem is solved.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked about Reeve suffering because I think that a vibrant individual who's got himself a career as an actor, has had a few really big roles, and has an active life probably would suffer if he lost most of that, and his independence as well, due to being paralyzed. And I'm willing to bet that the physical therapy wasn't exactly pleasant. That's all.
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bye
Slyde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraslacker wrote:
cnn.com

Hah. They say 'spituality' in the upper right hand.
Leafo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duder wrote:
Of course he's not going to publically say he wants to die. How retarded is that?

Irrelevant remark.
The fact is, that everything he said and did following the accident points towards a man not willingly wanting to quit his life early. Are you going to say the opposite? If so, the burden of proof is on you.
Quote:

He only showed an interest in helping himself by starting a paralysis fund as soon as he became paralyzed.

Not only (the man also directed and starred in movies after the accident), but yes he first became actively involved after his accident .
That's only human nature. Did Nancy Reagan give a public rats ass about stem cell research before her husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers and she thought it might help him? Did Michael J. Fox actively join the Parkinson crusade before he was diagnosed, et cetera et cetera?
No human can encompass the whole world and we all take our stands from our own point of proximity.

Do you not vote republican because of your selfish reasons as I would vote green for my selfish reasons?
Quote:
You're right; it was showing that all he wanted was to cure himself so he could quit being paralyzed and live a better life.

Thank you for agreeing. So in your opinion he was going for the cure instead of death. I rest my case.
Leafo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
I talked about Reeve suffering because I think that a vibrant individual who's got himself a career as an actor, has had a few really big roles, and has an active life probably would suffer if he lost most of that, and his independence as well, due to being paralyzed. And I'm willing to bet that the physical therapy wasn't exactly pleasant. That's all.

No Stormy. You judged his life to be so full of suffering that you thought it a good thing it had ended.

By that logic I could judge your life to be so full of delusional political suffering that it would be a good thing if your life ended soon.
I mean, me sitting here with my political enlightenment cannot help feeling sorry for all you unenlightened libertarians. It must be hell for you. :D
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_G wrote:
No Stormy. You judged his life to be so full of suffering that you thought it a good thing it had ended.

I was trying to be nice, but to hell with it. You just pissed me off.

I'm glad Christopher Reeve is dead, not because I think being paralyzed sucks, but because I think Reeve wasn't much of an actor. I wasn't impressed with him as Superman, and I don't think Reeve is some kind of hero just because he played one on film and then broke his neck while riding.

No doubt somebody will say the same about me, but I'll be too dead to care: Reeve's death was no great loss.

Last edited by Stormy Eyes on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought that he was great in the superman movies, but that's me
Rest in peace Christopher Reeve :cry:
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez why does this have to get all serious. It's sad, the poor guy is dead. I don't wish death on any one. I'm sure as hell not shedding any tears, none of us here are. He may or may not have been a very good person, but he was no Hitler.

Superman still lives on, that's all that matters.
BTW, I liked Reeve as Superman, better than that fat guy from the 60's superman series.
jakamaka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP
DayLung
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in the obituary that Mary Jenkins Died, how sad.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyde wrote:
This question is meant with all due respect:

He had been paralyzed for the past 9 years of his life. I assume unable to make love to his wife. Can you sustain a marriage without sex for nine years. Granted, you don't need sex, but it is something that makes a marriage click.

Overall, quadraplegia does not interfere with the ability to have sex. Plus, in an interview with Barbara Walters, Christopher Reeve and his wife did briefly talk about their sex life, and they seemed pretty happy with it.
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was depressing, in a strange DC comics sort of way... like when I read the death of superman issue way back when...

*tear*

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
amiatrome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I put into my journal. For those of you who don't really like him, do understand that he had done more good for the world as a paraplegic than many of us can ever do able-bodied. He has just left so let's all just show a little respect.

Quote:
Our hero has left us once again. But this time, nothing in the world can help us bring him back. Christopher Reeve's battle was long and hard but he still pressed on. Like a Man of Steel.

Superman was buried under tons of shattered concrete. He had a finite amount of energy, and it was slowly being depleted. He had never been in a fight like this before. What would happen if his energy ran out?

What seemed like hours but was really only minutes later, Superman shove the rubble aside and staggered to his feet. He looked around dismayed.

Main Street was destroyed. And Doomsday was gone.

Lex reached out a hand to stop her before she could fly off into the air. "Listen to me, Supergirl," he said. "Superman can handle that monster!" Trust me. But if Doomsday does break free again, he may come this way. Superman would want you to stay in Metropolis, to protect the city that he loves."

He tackled Doomsday, tumbling him through the wall and into the parking lot.
News choppers circled overhead. In the lead chopper, bearing the Daily Planet logo, Jimmy Olsen pointed his camera at Doomsday. "Wow, he's a big one!" said Jimmy.

Very big! thought Lois. Please, Clark, be careful, she prayed.

As Superman struggled from the wreckage, he knew that Doomsday had recognized the word Metropolis from the commercial. Doomsday would reach the city in six leaps. And there was no way Superman could stop him in time.

At the Kents' farm, Martha and Jonathan Kent watched the battle between Superman and Doomsday on television.

Martha was angry. "That's our son," she said. "He's being beaten to a pulp and those reporters are treating the fight like it's a sporting event."

But Jonathan reassured her. "Clark is our boy, but to the world he's Superman. The reporters don't mean to be cruel. They just don't think anything bad can happen to him."

As he said those words, he thought to himself, I only hope they're right.

The battle raged through Metropolis. Although Superman was tiring, he continued to fight Doomsday. But again and again, the creature slammed him to the ground.

Henry Johnson, the construction worker Superman had saved, stood on the girder high over Metropolis. Looking down, he saw Superman was in trouble.

With no thought for his own safety, Henry swung to the ground. He owed Superman his life, and he meant to repay him. He snatched up a sledgehammer and raced towards the combatants. But he feared it would take more than a hammer's blow to fell the monster.

The explosion blew the combatants sky high, destroying the construction site and burying Henry Johnson in its rubble.

Doomsday raked Superman with his arm-spikes, ripping a gash in the Man of Steel's powerful chest.
Superman gasped in agony. Until now, his energy aura had protected him, and he had been victorious in the battles he had fought. He had confronted Doomsday, almost certain of his eventual truimph. Now he wasn't sure he could stop the creature.

Doomsday raised his fist and smashed Superman with a shattering blow that hurled him unconcious to the ground.
Doomsday roared with victory.

As this second explosion rocked Metropolis, Superman, broken and bloody, staggered to his feet. In the distance he heard gunfire. Gathering his waning strength, the Man of Steel leapt into the air and flew towards the sound.

In front of the Daily Planet building, amid a rain of cannon fire, Superman and Doomsday fought toe-to-toe. Doomsday's fists were like hammers, pounding Superman into the pavement. Superman's arms felt as heavy as lead, but he braced his feet and concentrated on returning blow for blow. Even if it kills me, thought Superman, this is where I hold the line.

As Doomsday grabbed Superman by the throat and slammed him against the pavement, Lois Lane held her breath. Superman is battered and bleeding, she thought. She had never seen him like this. How could he keep fighting when he could hardly stand?

Suddenly, the monster flung Superman into the air, slamming his body into the Daily Planet helicopter. The chopper began to spin out of control.
Alarmed, Superman spun around and grabbed the helicopter. He steadied it as he lowered it to the ground.

Lois leapt from the chopper and ran to Superman. She begged him to retreat, to wait for help. But Superman knew that if he hesitated, more lives would be lost.
Hidden by obscuring smoke, Superman kissed Lois as if for the last time. "Just remember, " he said, "no matter what happens, I will always love you."

Then, with a roar of anger and resolve, Superman leapt from Lois's arms. He tackled Doomsday headfirst, smashing him into an abandoned bus. But again Doomsday slammed him back. With fury and determination, he pounded Superman into the street, burying him in the rubble.

Lois saw Superman driven into the ground. "He's in trouble," she cried. "I have to help him!"

Up through the rubble, Superman launched himself at Doomsday. "Lois, get back!" he warned. Desperately, he slammed Doomsday, first with his weakened fist, then with the blazing force of his heat vision.

Superman had sworn never to take a life. But could he stop Doomsday without killing him? Or could he kill Doomsday, he wondered, even if he wanted to?

Superman knew that he had enough strength left for one final blow. With every ounce of his remaining energy, he slammed Doomsday, even as Doomsday raked him with an uppercut that snapped his head back.

Doomsday staggered and fell. Then Superman swayed and fell beside him.

Lois ran to Superman. She threw herself down beside him and gathered her loved one gently into her arms. "Please be alive," she whispered. "Please, please be alive!"

Half the country away, Lois's prayer was echoed by Clark's parents, who stared at the television with tears rolling down their cheeks. "Please, please let our son be alive!"

One by one, people began to creep from the building, staring awestruck at the defeated monster and their fallen hero - the man they had always thought was invulnerable.

As Jimmy Olsen snapped the final photos, Lois Lane clung to Superman, begging him to hang on until the paramedics arrived.

"Doomsday . . . is he . . . is he . . . ?" Superman whispered hoarsely.

"He's down. You stopped him!" Lois clutched Superman to her. "You saved us all."

Metropolis was saved. The victory, Superman thought, had been worth the sacrifice. With a sigh he closed his eyes. Then the last spark of a life that had burned bright with heroism flickered and died.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: