Gentoo CD not detecting ISA network card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Gentoo CD not detecting ISA network card Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on my older pc, but when I boot up it does not detect my ISA network card. Therefore, I can't setup eth0 to connect. Could somone help me out? The card is a Kingston (model #: KNE20BT). I know that it uses the Tulip driver, but the card is not even detected on the boot up. Also, when I type 'lspci' I get....
Code:

cdimage root # lspci
00:00.0 Host Bridge: Intel Corp 430TX - 82439TX MTXC (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA Bridge: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 Ide Interface: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:0c.0 VGA compatible Controller: Rendition Verite V2000/V2100/V2200 (rev 01)

Also...In case you were wondering...when I type dmesg, nothing shows up about detecting an ISA card. Please help. :?
Syonyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most network cards hang out on IRQ: 11 mem: 300h if that helps.

If you can't get it working, PCI network cards are $10 or so, less online.
webhawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't mean anything to me. Can you give me some more detail as to what I could do? Can I set the BOIS to look for that certain IRQ? Or is there any other ways? Thanks.
chabak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: exactly the same problem Reply with quote

Hi,
Im having exactly the same problem. As to putting a PCI card on an older machine, I donot know if PCI bus mastering is included in Gentoo. I had problems in Win98 and had to install drivers for that.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Gentoo CD doesn't have ISA NIC drivers (which I'm getting a sneaking suspicion it doesn't), the primary fix I would choose would be to burn a Knoppix CD and boot into it, then follow the alternative install doc to get you started.

Why are there not ISA drivers on the CD??? Shouldn't the kernel on the CD have nearly every possible NIC compiled as a module?
chabak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: use knoppix Reply with quote

In my case what i did was to use knoppix to start the computer, and then re-boot using the gentoo CD.
I then did a "#modprobe ne" and then gentoo seemed to detect the ISA card.
In some cases you could also use #modprobe ne irq=x io=xxxx, if you know those settings
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: exactly the same problem Reply with quote

chabak wrote:
Hi,
Im having exactly the same problem. As to putting a PCI card on an older machine, I donot know if PCI bus mastering is included in Gentoo. I had problems in Win98 and had to install drivers for that.

Bus-mastering is a function of the motherboard, not the OS, so as long as your motherboard has bus-mastering PCI slots, there shouldn't be problems with it. I'm not sure when bus-mastering became a real standard, but I think usually anything with a P133 or better will have bus-mastering slots, though possibly only certain slots, and it may be a feature you need to enable in the BIOS.
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo CD not detecting ISA network card Reply with quote

webhawg wrote:
I'm trying to install Gentoo on my older pc, but when I boot up it does not detect my ISA network card. Therefore, I can't setup eth0 to connect. Could somone help me out? The card is a Kingston (model #: KNE20BT). I know that it uses the Tulip driver, but the card is not even detected on the boot up. Also, when I type 'lspci' I get....
Code:

cdimage root # lspci
00:00.0 Host Bridge: Intel Corp 430TX - 82439TX MTXC (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA Bridge: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 Ide Interface: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:0c.0 VGA compatible Controller: Rendition Verite V2000/V2100/V2200 (rev 01)

Also...In case you were wondering...when I type dmesg, nothing shows up about detecting an ISA card. Please help. :?

How do you know that it uses the Tulip driver? That I know of, the Tulip driver is for PCI-only cards. Looking around on Google, it looks like that card is NE2000 compatible, so you might try an NE2000 driver. Debian's boot disks may offer that driver if Gentoo doesn't.
humpback
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a Gentoo livecd at hand......

But for starters: lspci is as the name shows a software to list pci devices, no isa ....
If you have a isa card it can be of two types isa-pnp or not isa-pnp. If it is a isapnp card you can configure it from linux using the pnpdump and isapnpconf.... If it is not that type of card it is one that is configured using either jumpers in the card or a special type of software .....

Then you would modprobe the driver (probably ne) and pass him the irq and ioport.
It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .
-------------
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: