View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: KDE & fluxbox or fluxbox & KDE ? :) Reply with quote

Hello to all gentoo people !

I use to search a lot before asking somewhere.. and that's what i did. I found answers on some of my questions but not the whole.

I'm currently using fluxbox as a window manager and i love it. Just missing some remember features from ion but, it's on a good way.
Mostly using KDE apps, i'd like to use the kdesktop with fluxbox as a window manager. I tried to launch kdesktop from a fluxbox session and it start well (got kdeinit, klauncher & knotify started with fluxbox).
The problem is that kdesktop is launched onto a window.. and that's a behavior i cant play with. If fluxbox had some z-index placement features with remember it could be usable (with a playmate that brings my cigarettes & coffee every morning ;) ).

I've also tried to edit startkde and add --windowmanager fluxbox to the kwrapper ksmserver line but it behave the same way.

Finally, my question could be : is there a way to launch an app (like kdesktop) as a "Xroot app" (ie xplanet, xscreensaver etc...) ?

note: why use kdesktop ? that's the way .. hunhun hunhun ... i like it ... hunhun hunhun :P
seriously, i like the kde feature that allow you to put "links" to device with contextual menu to mount, umount etc...
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running startkde after logging into fluxbox? I did something simliar to that once with a different distro, except it was twm instead of fluxbox. KDE + twm is a pretty strange combination.
kasper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i launch startkde from ~/.fluxbox/init so fluxbox run first
kasper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those interested, the trick was.... kdesktop --help :roll:

kdesktop -x-root

it's visible only on one workspace by default but it can be tweaked
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use KDE with openbox as a windowmanager. It works perfectly. I think the problem is, that fluxbox does not have full NetWM support.

Like you already wrote, i have just added "--windowmanager openbox-dev" to startkde.

Note: If you don't modify the startscript to your personal needs, this will enable ksplash, kicker and KDE's Session Management as well. Not sure if that is what you want.
klasikahl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuck. here is what i do.

startx which executes
openbox
kicker
epistrc
gkrellm2 -w
idesk

http://klas.homelinux.org:1337/~zack/images/forpastor.png
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: