WineX & vanilla vs. gentoo-sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: WineX & vanilla vs. gentoo-sources Reply with quote

A lot of people have said that winex has some issues with the gentoo-sources kernel. I seem to be having problems as well. I was thinking about buying the Transgaming version of WineX, but I need to know: will it conflict with my kernel, and if so, in what way? Basically, the only non-vanilla feature that I need is EVMS, I think. Does anyone know if it's EVMS that doesn't play well with WineX, or what? (I know about grsecurity, but I don't use it, so I'm in the clear). I don't want to buy something that won't work on my computer anyways...
Linux user #267375 - http://counter.li.org
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you sure that winex is conflicting with your Gentoo sources? I had a lot of trouble getting winex going and switched to the vanilla kernel only to find the same woes still haunting me. If you'd like to read the whole gruesome story see this other thread.

Some more information about what you are trying to get working in Winex might be helpful!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read that thread, and after trying *really hard* to get LoD to work, I decided I'd try out the Transgaming version (the pay version). But I don't want to spend $$$ on it if it's going to conflict with my customized kernel, ya know? A LOT of people say that it has problems with the gentoo kernel, so I want to know with what exactly it has issues with.
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, I get segfaults whenever I try to do the script where I switch out the executables (official & the no-cd crk). If I just use the no-cd crk, then I can play single player just fine but not connect to Battle.net, so I don't know what the dealy-o is.... I am emerging the newer WineX 20021011 right now to try it out, so we'll see how that goes. (I also can't seem to get Office2k working for the life of me, and I've tried every documented trick under the sun that I know about).
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo-sources and the paid version of winex. I haven't noticed any unusual problems. Diablo 2 works, but I haven't tried the expansion or battle.net.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Winex Kernel issues are only related to (as far as I have experienced) WarCraft3 and StarCraft , gentoo-sources causes major jerkovision while running wc3 or starcraft , all other games Ive tried showed no issues running under gentoo-sources, the sames issues apply to redhat 7.3 kernel

Cheers
Dale.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
the Winex Kernel issues are only related to (as far as I have experienced) WarCraft3 and StarCraft , gentoo-sources causes major jerkovision while running wc3 or starcraft , all other games Ive tried showed no issues running under gentoo-sources, the sames issues apply to redhat 7.3 kernel

I haven't had any problems with the commercial WineX, Gentoo-sources, and WC3, runs great for me, even on Battle.net. Just don't enable the grsecurity features.

At the worst, if you don't get it working, and no one here can help, if you've subscribed, you can go to Transgaming for support.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get it working fine .....changed to vanilla sources , and it is working great (2.5.47) , (im using subscribed version , have been since 1.something)
If you sift through the transgaming forums youll see LOTS of people were haveing the same problem ,without grsecurity enabled, there was a doco released on the exact problem (as far as the Redhat kernel went )but I cant find it to link it :(

Cheers
Dale.
Mordechai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents...

I have only had problems using gentoo sources based kernel when running StarCraft.

No other game has had any issues. (I haven't tried WC3)

I beleive it is due to the kernel pre-emption patches that have been applied to the gentoo sources.

Mordechai
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordechai , yeah I thought so to but people had tried it without lowlatancy preempt etc and it still didnt resolve the issue , Im currently running vanilla 2.5.47 with preempt enabled and both run fine ........

Cheers
Dale.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v ran both WC3 and starcraft perfectly fine with the gentoo sources, if there is a problem with WineX and the gentoo sources it's a patch, figure out which one it is and disable it. All it takes is a bit of testing.
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys. But I think I'm gonna go back to vanilla kernel anyways, since I need to rebuild my system (evidently EVMS is a bit buggy, 'cuz I've lost a lot of saved data :( ) and make it a bit more stable.
BLASTER_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine wont run at all with the GRSecruity options turned on.

otherwise ive had no prolbems with the gentoo-sources.
frogger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the vanilla sources (2.4.20) and haven't tried the gentoo-sources (I don't want to risk any instability). I have (well, had, it ran out) a subscription to winex. I must say it is well worth the $15, and runs flawlessly for me.

Get a subscription and support winex, it's a great project :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: