Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Generating/using an stunnel certificate file (stunnel.pem)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Generating/using an stunnel certificate file (stunnel.pem) Reply with quote

I am nearing completion on installing a set of gentoo servers for an IDS project at work. During the install, I've gotten to the point where I need to set up stunnel to deliver encrypted traffic from my sensors to my console. After running an emerge on stunnel, I find that it does not come with a sample stunnel.pem nor information on how to generate one. So, googling a bit, I find information on creating the .pem file at stunnel.org. On gentoo, however, things have to be changed just a little. Here is the command I used to generate my .pem file (all one command - ignore line wraps).

Code:
openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -config /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf -out stunnel.pem -keyout stunnel.pem

Note that you will need to find your openssl.cnf file. I used:
Code:
updatedb
locate cnf

to find mine. There are a few cnf files that show up, but this one has everything necessary to start the x509 settings "interview" which is necessary to get a proper stunnel.pem file (location, organization, etc.).

Once this file is created, copy it to wherever you want to keep it, and do a:
Code:
chmod 600 /path/to/stunnel.pem

to protect it from malicious mangling. Finally, in your /etc/stunnel.conf file, make sure to add:
Code:
cert=/path/to/stunnel.pem

so your instance of stunnel knows where its keyfile is.

Hopefully, that's of use to someone and will save you the time I spent trying to figure this all out.

EDIT:Noted that first command is one line, regardless of word-wrap.

RagManX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: